That's How They Get Ya...

cruising_diva

Price drop for Nov. 6, 2016 on the Dream. Riiiiight after the $99 deposit sale. I did already know that when I called to get the difference I would be required to pay the rest of the deposit. No problem. I told my CS rep that its pretty smart of Carnival to do things this way. They know that during the $99 deposit sale, people may book and never be heard from again. But if they drop the price and get more people to make the investment of the full deposit, more than likely, those people will be on the ship.

In my case, I paid $800 in deposits today (that I would have had to pay before final payment date ANYWAY) BUT I saved $160 for two rooms (one cove balcony, and one interior). That's a win for me!!!

I agree you did good, nice to have $99 deposit but if I can get a price drop from my entire cruise I will gladly pay the full deposit amount which I will have to pay eventually but getting a total price drop that is money in the bank. I booked on the $99 deposit for November but am checking every day to see if my cruise drops and I will be applying for that ASAP.

As my husband pointed out, what we saved pays for our hotel!

He's right!

About Carnival, they're cagey and in the business to make $. So the few sharp eyed folks like yourself get deals but they know the few catching the deal are in the minority.

Have a great time!!

I did the same thing, booked during the $99 deposit promotion and then noticed the $40 price drop on my room in October. I called and had to pay up to the full deposit, but this doesn't bother me much: I would still have to pay the full price of the cruise by August, and at least now that full price is $40 cheaper.

Another point would be that SOME people don't have enough money on hand to pay the large deposits, in which case they end up paying a higher price for the cruise - because they aren't able to take advantage of the price drops...

But Carnival ALSO has all this going smack at the beginning of TAX SEASON!!

Now that my deposit is paid in full, I am kind of hoping that there will be another round of cheap deposits, quickly followed by price drops!!!

Another point would be that SOME people don't have enough money on hand to pay the large deposits, in which case they end up paying a higher price for the cruise - because they aren't able to take advantage of the price drops...

You seem to be assuming that all cruises will have price drops. Based on the reading/posts I see here, that is not the case. With cruising being so popular, many prices go up & up until they sell out. Our last cruise did that, went up steadily until it was about $200 a cabin more than we paid.

I do not assume that at all. I have cruised several times. I always book Early Saver. Sometimes there are price drops. Sometimes there are not.

The whole point that I am trying to make is that I had a price drop on my next cruise and it took place right after the $99 deposit sale, which would require people to pay the full deposit. Furthermore, this is taking place around the time that people are starting to get tax refunds. It just felt a little shiesty. Like a trick. Obviously Carnival can't MAKE anyone pay the full deposit to get the price drop, but they are sure hoping that people will. That's all.

I paid a reduced deposit of $50 several months ago. I've been watching daily and our cost has never gone down. It's now about $150 more per person for a balcony. From what I understand, most cruises are only going up now. It's not any kind of conspiracy on Carnival's part. It's merely a coincidence.

The only fallacy about this whole thread is that no one has any idea what prices will do between now and when the cruise sails. As far away as all these cruises are there is a good chance that there will be more price drops.

I've just never considered the reduced deposit a "promotion" for the very reason you stated, You will eventually have to pay the full amount anyway, so it's not really a sale or reduced rate or anything. It just saves you putting out that full deposit in advance if that is an issue for you.

Thanks for posting this! Although I don't know what the big deal is since the deposit is going to be paid eventually anyway. I booked a b2b under the $99 deposit sale and the other day the price dropped on one of them $100. I submitted the form instead of calling my PVP because I thought it was a simple and straightforward drop. It went through just an hour later and I never gave it another thought. After reading this post I realized I had forgotten about the whole deposit thing. Checked and sure enough it said I had a $400 deposit due on Jan. 25! I paid it right away, but I wonder how long it would have been before they just canceled the booking???

Thanks for posting this! Although I don't know what the big deal is since the deposit is going to be paid eventually anyway. I booked a b2b under the $99 deposit sale and the other day the price dropped on one of them $100. I submitted the form instead of calling my PVP because I thought it was a simple and straightforward drop. It went through just an hour later and I never gave it another thought. After reading this post I realized I had forgotten about the whole deposit thing. Checked and sure enough it said I had a $400 deposit due on Jan. 25! I paid it right away, but I wonder how long it would have been before they just canceled the booking???

Yes!! This exact thing happened to me LAST YEAR. For that reason, this year, I called the price drop in and payed the rest of the deposit on the phone. I didn't want to risk getting my booking canceled.

It is just like the tax free day they have here in Texas before school starts...everyone runs out and buys their kids stuff on tax day, then the real sales come the following week. :eek: People fall for it every year.

Glad you were able to save some $$$!

Price drop for Nov. 6, 2016 on the Dream. Riiiiight after the $99 deposit sale. I did already know that when I called to get the difference I would be required to pay the rest of the deposit. No problem. I told my CS rep that its pretty smart of Carnival to do things this way. They know that during the $99 deposit sale, people may book and never be heard from again. But if they drop the price and get more people to make the investment of the full deposit, more than likely, those people will be on the ship.

In my case, I paid $800 in deposits today (that I would have had to pay before final payment date ANYWAY) BUT I saved $160 for two rooms (one cove balcony, and one interior). That's a win for me!!!

this happened to me and they never cancelled it. it just showed that more money was due but the due date was retroactive to the initial small deposit date. i ultimately canceled that one for another one but they never mentioned it.