Zika Virus & Caribbean Cruising?

Project-College

We were thinking about cruising this summer in the Caribbean but concerned about the various Zika Virus reports. No question, if my wife was pregnant or thinking about it we WOULD NOT but now reports from Columbia (Guardian)note a sharp spike in the number of patients diagnosed with a neurological disorder that can cause paralysis among people with the Zika (paralysis syndrome called Guillain-Barre).

Thoughts?

This has caused us to reevaluate Western Caribbean excursions for our upcoming cruise. As I understand, the species of mosquito which is the primary carrier is a "day feeder". I wonder if NCL is going to send out cautionary email on the topic.

That is about all you can do. Use bug spray, try to avoid areas of standing water, wear long sleeve shirts and pants around dusk or dawn. There are more than one disease and this is just one of many transported by mosquitos.

I might avoid travel if there is a pregnancy in the group but otherwise I will take the same precautions I always do. I won't be skipping my cruises.

We were thinking about cruising this summer in the Caribbean but concerned about the various Zika Virus reports. No question, if my wife was pregnant or thinking about it we WOULD NOT but now reports from Columbia (Guardian)note a sharp spike in the number of patients diagnosed with a neurological disorder that can cause paralysis among people with the Zika (paralysis syndrome called Guillain-Barre).

Thoughts?

Guillian-Barre syndrome can occur after ANY viral illness and sometimes after vaccination. It is not common, and people recover from it, though it takes a long time. Basically what happens is that your body confuses the covering of your nerves with the virus and starts attacking it. As with electrical wire, if the nerves are not insulated, they do not conduct electicity well, so people get paralysis that starts in the feet and moves upwards. It can be treated, and the nerve sheaths will regrow - but it takes awhile (months, usually).

Im not cancelling my cruise because of it. just FYI.

Thanks all so far.... but I have not booked anything yet, so not a question of cancellation for me. If so, the decision would be harder... especially if I would loose money or not be able to go at another time.

That announcement from Columbia though does have me worried, as going on a Cruise just to stay indoors or on the ship (as I have seen some suggest)... to be becomes more a 'Why Go?'

Again, thanks for all the info

We were in the Western Caribbean the week of November 15. When we got home we found out my daughter is pregnant. She hasn't shown any ZIKA symptoms, but she has an appt with her OB/GYN this week. All of her tests and ultrasounds to date have been fine, but its another thing to worry about.

The day we were in Roatan she was bit by some sand fleas, but besides that she wasn't (as far as she knows) bitten by any mosquitos.

Thoughts?

If this really concerns you make sure that you stay away from all mosquitos, even at home, because by the end of the summer it will be all over the southern US, and by next summer all over the whole US.

Edited by zqvol