Ladies- have you gotten your hair done onboard?

sparks1093

So DW said something the other day that got me thinking. She mentioned that she would love to have her hair done for elegant night. Soooo, being the clueless guy that I am I can't even remember seeing hairstyling services onboard, but figured there's got to be, right? She wouldn't be looking for anything really fancy, just having her hair put up so it looks nice. We'll be on the Fascination if it matters. Worth it? Well done? Recommended? Cost? (That last part is for me, I'm not sure she really cares how much it is:)).

Three in my group had our hair done by the cruise ship salon for my sons wedding that was onboard the Conquest. They did a great job and it was only $35 each.

I guess the price hasn't gone up since I had my hair done in 2008. I think that's what I paid then, unless it was $30 + tip.

However, I didn't care at all for how he styled it. Of course, it probably was just the hairdresser I had. I've never had it done on the ship since then.

I guess the price hasn't gone up since I had my hair done in 2008. I think that's what I paid then, unless it was $30 + tip.

However, I didn't care at all for how he styled it. Of course, it probably was just the hairdresser I had. I've never had it done on the ship since then.

Yes, if they don't do a good job I am sure DW won't want to have it done again.

I was very happy with the way they styled my hair. Warning, they will try to sell fancy barretts and such. My cost was $50+. They also included the tip into my total bill which goes on the sign and sail card.

The gal I had was from England and she working towards starting up her own salon some day. If your wife is interested in getting an updo, tell her to go for it. She won't be disappointed. It's always nice to have something special done.

I have had my hair done 2-3 times at the salon on board.

The stylists were nice, fun, professional and did some great hairstyles.

I have long hair, which does cost more, and paid $35-50 depending on the complexity of the updo.

Good info! I might just surprise her.:)

I was very happy with the way they styled my hair. Warning, they will try to sell fancy barretts and such. My cost was $50+. They also included the tip into my total bill which goes on the sign and sail card.

The gal I had was from England and she working towards starting up her own salon some day. If your wife is interested in getting an updo, tell her to go for it. She won't be disappointed. It's always nice to have something special done.

Yes, NCL includes the gratuity automatically also. Thanks!

I had an awful experience, but it could just be the stylist I had... I have long hair and asked for big loose curls- she used a straighter to put tight kinky curls all over my head- she originally quoted me $40, and then when I was done and went up to the desk they charged me $60 because I had long hair. (Which is a ridiculous amount for someone to just curl my hair - it wasn't even an updo). I went back to the cabin and cried because it looked so awful, and it was only about 15 minutes until dinner so I didn't have time to shower and redo it myself. And this was also on the Fascination. But... as I said, I guess it all depends on the stylist. Learned my lesson- no one except my hair dresser at home will be touching my hair from now on!

I had an awful experience, but it could just be the stylist I had... I have long hair and asked for big loose curls- she used a straighter to put tight kinky curls all over my head- she originally quoted me $40, and then when I was done and went up to the desk they charged me $60 because I had long hair. (Which is a ridiculous amount for someone to just curl my hair - it wasn't even an updo). I went back to the cabin and cried because it looked so awful, and it was only about 15 minutes until dinner so I didn't have time to shower and redo it myself. And this was also on the Fascination. But... as I said, I guess it all depends on the stylist. Learned my lesson- no one except my hair dresser at home will be touching my hair from now on!

Yikes! I know DW wouldn't be happy with that.

Good info! I might just surprise her.:)

Granted, my experience was on Princess, but should be similar. My DH wanted to gift to me for our 25th Anniversary. We went right away and found out they had specials for both formal nights. It was a styling and some sort of skin firming massage deal. Was around $50 or $60. It included the stylist trying to sell me products for dry hair which I don't have/need. She did a good job. My hair looked pretty. My hair to me is medium. They called it long. Extra charge. Sweet DH you are!

In 2013, my 24-year-old daughter had an evening styling for formal night on Princess. I was shocked it was $85 because she had long hair! About middle of her back. She didn't expect that. And it wasn't that great either. Another lady I talked to on another night was also charged extra for long hair, and her hair was just a little past her shoulders. So check first if they consider your hair to be long, and how much extra that is! Better to know if you're being charged for long hair ahead of time.

Granted, my experience was on Princess, but should be similar. My DH wanted to gift to me for our 25th Anniversary. We went right away and found out they had specials for both formal nights. It was a styling and some sort of skin firming massage deal. Was around $50 or $60. It included the stylist trying to sell me products for dry hair which I don't have/need. She did a good job. My hair looked pretty. My hair to me is medium. They called it long. Extra charge. Sweet DH you are!

:oThanks. She has been growing it out so she can do things with it so why not on a cruise? :)

In 2013, my 24-year-old daughter had an evening styling for formal night on Princess. I was shocked it was $85 because she had long hair! About middle of her back. She didn't expect that. And it wasn't that great either. Another lady I talked to on another night was also charged extra for long hair, and her hair was just a little past her shoulders. So check first if they consider your hair to be long, and how much extra that is! Better to know if you're being charged for long hair ahead of time.

Valid point, thank you (DW's lenght right now is just past her shoulders so I would think they'll classify it as "long").

How long did it take them?

At least 2 hours and $135. At that time my hair didn't quite touch my shoulders. I just kept thinking that I could be out by the pool or playing trivia.

Edited by dmdiver

At least 2 hours and $135. At that time my hair didn't quite touch my shoulders. I just kept thinking that I could be out by the pool or playing trivia.

I will make sure that I warn DW, but I'm likely to be at the pool while she's getting her hair done.:)

I had my hair colored while on the Glory in October. I was very pleased with the stylist and results. The price was what you expect for a fine salon. Be sure and make an appt early because they book up fast for elegant night. I'm sure if your wife gives them clear instructions on what she wants they will do a good job. Your wife is probably accustomed to talking to stylists.

I had my hair colored while on the Glory in October. I was very pleased with the stylist and results. The price was what you expect for a fine salon. Be sure and make an appt early because they book up fast for elegant night. I'm sure if your wife gives them clear instructions on what she wants they will do a good job. Your wife is probably accustomed to talking to stylists.

Actually she's had the same stylist for the last 10 years or so, but I will recommend that she find pictures of what she wants done or has in mind.