Skagway-Yukon Excursions

stickey_mouse

I am trying to figure out the best excursion to take in Skagway but cannot make up my mind. Would you recommend venturing into the Yukon? If so, what is the main, must-see thing there? I know I want to ride the train at least one way but am lost as to what else to do. We are going in the 2nd week of May, so I understand that not all excursions will be available. I am open to anything, including hiking.

Edited by stickey_mouse

There are multiple answers that are excellent choices. The "train", would allow you to go round trip, or one way. With one way- YOU need to determine, the time you want to invest. Are you open to 6/7 hours, or do you want 4+ hours? The Klondike Highway, especially in your timeframe, is ENDLESS scenery, should have snow cover, which adds to the beauty. :) A normal turn around it Emerald Lake, which may be frozen however. With the extended tour, other choices- Caribou Crossing stop (Chilkoot Charters) or in Carcross, and lunch on your own at the Bakery, with Dyea Dave- as examples. :)

Would you recommend venturing into the Yukon? If so, what is the main, must-see thing there? I know I want to ride the train at least one way but am lost as to what else to do.
Looking at another post... I think you are a Holland boat. What do you think about this excursion? I took this excursion with another cruise line and think it would meet your need Yukon cravings.

http://www.hollandamerica.com/cruise-destinations/ExcursionDetails.action?excursionCode=4557

Too much to do in Skagway and not enough port time!

Here's a Skagway cruise excursion summary from another cruise line to give you ideas....

[YOUTUBE]cF1l3vfKWAM[/YOUTUBE]

Edited by xlxo

If you look at this link... the Yukon bridge is actually in BC. Excursions to Carcross and beyond will get you into the Yukon.

https://www.google.ca/maps/dir/Skagway,+AK,+United+States/Yukon+Suspension+Bridge,+Whitehorse,+YT/@59.6267925,-135.0476733,9.07z/data=!4m13!4m12!1m5!1m1!1s0x56aaa92500de9141:0x5e251777323a536a!2m2!1d-135.3138889!2d59.4583333!1m5!1m1!1s0x5155434e011da2a7:0x3efd2be2367ea455!2m2!1d-134.920177!2d59.772645?hl=en

If the bridge interests you.... I recommend some research. Forum reviews have suggested the one in Vancouver is better. Your limited Skagway port time is better at other attractions.

[YOUTUBE]1z6WRdjbpKY[/YOUTUBE]

Edited by xlxo

Just wanted to say that a bridge like Capilano has a good deal more "movement" than the Yukon one. Because I'm not comfortable with "bounciness" on a bridge, the Yukon Suspension Bridge, while not as spectacular, is a better fit for us. I agree with xlxo: Research is a good idea. (I suspect that the difference in the degree of movement is mostly due to the greater length and the greater number of people on Capilano.) We did Capilano Suspension Bridge several decades ago: It was splendid and memorable, and that was even before the trails that are there now, which should make the experience even more fun. But I've gotten more fearful since then.

Edited by poss

Here's some vids to start your research...

Thoughts...

• Capilano is more than the main suspension bridge. Cliffwalk and Treetop adventures add to the experience.
  • If "bounciness" is a concern.... visit Capilano when the tour buses are not around. Capilano opens at 9am and it's quiet the first hour. Otherwise, plan a visit after 5pm.... go to Grouse first. Capilano is open til 8pm in the summer.
  • Capilano offers a free convenient shuttle from the cruise terminal.
  • Your Skagway time is limited.... the Yukon bridge is a significant distance from Skagway.... are there other Skagway activities that may be of interest in that time?
  • if suspension bridges excite you... consider also visiting the Sea 2 Sky Gondola North of Vancouver. The Sky Pilot bridge may be worth a visit.

[YOUTUBE]pJdkKFNLYOE[/YOUTUBE] [YOUTUBE]KkohpnJ-Zxs[/YOUTUBE] [YOUTUBE]N0w_TTUWV4I[/YOUTUBE]

Sorry to have mislead you guys, but I have no special interest in suspension bridges... Just happened to notice the one in the video and hoped it would be a stop on a Yukon excursion. I'm still eyeing the Chilkoot Charters excursion, as it would let us still do the one way train ride while also getting a tour of the Yukon.

Sorry to have mislead you guys, but I have no special interest in suspension bridges... Just happened to notice the one in the video and hoped it would be a stop on a Yukon excursion. I'm still eyeing the Chilkoot Charters excursion, as it would let us still do the one way train ride while also getting a tour of the Yukon.

Please be aware that you would not be having a tour of the Yukon --simply going into the Yukon Territory at Carcross. http://wpyr.com/sights-sounds/maps/#foobox-1/0

The territory extends to the Arctic Circle http://www.yukoninfo.com/yukon-southeast-alaska-northern-british-columbia-maps/

http://www.nps.gov/klgo/planyourvisit/maps.htm

Haha, I had to laugh at your response. Yes, of course I realize it's not a full tour of the Yukon, just some beautiful scenery IN the Yukon.

Exactly! LOL.

I just found this link with photographs of the Klondike gold rush. Highly recommend you read about it before your trip --totally amazing stories. http://digitalcollections.lib.washington.edu/cdm/search/collection/laroche/searchterm/klondike/field/all/mode/all/conn/and/cosuppress/