Getaway experts...... Tips?

kaultra

Ok Norwegian Getaway experts...... We are sailing on the getaway to the Western Caribbean next month. We have a mid ship balcony room on the 11th floor. We have the UDP & SDP and the free photo promo. We have sailed on the Spirit and the Sky before with mixed feelings. We are excited to try the Getaway and hoping to make the most of our week - KID FREE. This is a vaca away from our twin 1.5yo boys!!!! Please give us some inside scoop on the must-dos or what not to miss out on. This forum is awesome and I'm looking forward to any advice you might have. Thanks!

Make all dining and show reservations in advance. The spa is awesome and the most uncrowded and peaceful place on the ship with amazing views over the bow. You can get spa passes online or by going to the spa immediately upon boarding and buying them. They are 100% worth the money.

Don't miss the Illusionarium Dinner Show. I would say Burn the Floor as well, but I think that is gone. The comedy shows and Howl at the Moon are a hoot. Howl can't be booked, walk in only at any time, crowd permitting, during hours open. Book any comedy shows around your dinners as soon as you board. They do have stand by seating, but hard to get into if you don't make reservations very early in the cruise.

Have you made any dinner reservations with the SDP? If not, do so NOW. It will make it so much easier. You can always change them on the ship. Book any of the comedy shows around your dinner reservations as soon as you board the ship.

Download the Iconcierge app for Norwegian then activate it on the ship or even while waiting to board in the terminal. Sometimes there is a signal there. Worked well on the Escape. Can view your account charges, make reservations, etc. our group of 7 used it to text each other on the ship and it was a life saver.

Take advantage of the child free Spice H20 on the aft of the ship for sunning during the day, watching games on the big screen etc. And the Waterfront is a very nice quiet place to relax and watch the sea on those nice couches and chairs with a bar right next door. The Mojito Bar makes some fab Mojitos. Not sure if you meant you had the UBP when you said UDP or if you just have two different dining packages? Hope it's the UBP! Enjoy.

Edited by punkincc

I just looked at the NCL website and it still shows Burn the Floor as a show. Hope so for your sake because its phenomenal! Yes, yes, book everything in advance.

That is great news! What is the main show in the theatre now? Not still Legally Blonde, I hope.

...................And the Waterfront is a very nice quiet place to relax and watch the sea on those nice couches and chairs with a bar right next door. ...................

Hi punkincc.. Are the comfy couches and chairs in a non-smoking area?

Hi punkincc.. Are the comfy couches and chairs in a non-smoking area?

On the Getaway, as I recall, there is a bar on each side and one was smoking and one not. But, I believe smoking was only allowed AT the bar itself and not at the couches and chairs adjacent. We sat many times on the Waterfront on the Escape and were never bothered by smoke.

Legally Blonde is still showing, at least it was 3 weeks ago.

My favourite entertainment was the duelling pianos in headliners, I saw them 4 times when I was onboard. 3 weeks ago it was Ben, Brandon and another guy who had just joined them, Ben was leaving to join the Breakaway though.

Such talented fun guys!

Edited by DiamondGirl83

On the Getaway, as I recall, there is a bar on each side and one was smoking and one not. But, I believe smoking was only allowed AT the bar itself and not at the couches and chairs adjacent. We sat many times on the Waterfront on the Escape and were never bothered by smoke.

The Waterfront sofas and chairs are on both starboard and port sides. The starboard side has smoking at the Sunset Bar while the port side is non-smoking.

Great, thanks :)

During my sailing on the Getaway in January I used the iconcierge app to call my kids back home in the States. It was only 0.79 a minute. The reception was iffy as I could hear them fine but they couldn't hear me as well. It was the only way I communicated with them while onboard.

We enjoyed the dance parties at Spice H2O in the late evenings. It was so fun dancing under the stars. We brought some of our own glow party attire and we had a blast!

We also enjoyed listening and dancing to the live music in Fat Cats.

We ate at all the specialty restaurants except La Cucina. Our favorite was Cagneys, we ended up eating there three times. The last night of sailing we didn't have reservations at Cagneys and walked up around 8:00 to try to seated. We ended not being seated until 9:45, but we didn't mind. We just sat at the bar and had drinks while we waited.

Since you're sailing without kids, I also suggest buying spa passes. Be prepared to relax and be refreshed! We visited the spa daily.

The spa pass can be pre purchased, not sure of the cost I'm afraid.

Its the vibe passes that have to be bought onboard, usually have to be in the 1st few groups to board to be able to get them. The vibe is a chilled out access only area near to the Haven. I think there's a pool in there but as I've never used it I can't be certain

Must do #1: open on sea days only from 12-2 pm is a seafood take out window on the Waterfront by Ocean Blue. Get a lobster roll (for a small fee) I am a New Englander who enjoys lobster rolls and these are good

Must Do #2: if you like fun dueling piano bars go to Howl at the Moon. They perform several nights in the Headliners space. Check you daily for the nights and times, usually 9 or 10 until 1 am. Often, usually on the last night, entertainers from other venues sit in with them.

Must Do #3: no matter what happens it is your vacation. Don't be afraid to play it by ear. There is a lot of entertainment. If it is just 2 of you often you can get in to reserved shows and dining last minute as long as you're flexible.

Must Do #4: Go to the roll call/meet and greet. I've noticed on the Epic and Away class ships many of the senior officers attend and give out a card with their names and extensions. Good info to have. If an issue arises they will be the best course to resolve it. If you become friendly with them they can help in other ways as well... just don't be demanding... Honey is more effective than vinegar and all that.

Legally Blonde is still showing, at least it was 3 weeks ago.

My favourite entertainment was the duelling pianos in headliners, I saw them 4 times when I was onboard. 3 weeks ago it was Ben, Brandon and another guy who had just joined them, Ben was leaving to join the Breakaway though.

Such talented fun guys!

twice I've been on ships with Ben and Brandon performing at Howl at the Moon and you're right... They are great!!!

Some of the best shows are in the Atrium. Seating is limited so get there early otherwise you wont be able to see. The perfect couple game is hilarious (they do it on all the NCL ships).

As others have mentioned...make those dinner reservations ASAP if you want specialty restaurants.

Most important. Relax and enjoy. You are on vacation and paid for it. Soak it all up and enjoy every moment. The spa is a great way to get away from the pool crowds too.

The calamari at Ocean Blue is a must. You can sit at the sushi bar and just order it and have a drink. You don't need to pay the cover charge to enjoy this treat.

Edited by david_sobe

twice I've been on ships with Ben and Brandon performing at Howl at the Moon and you're right... They are great!!!

Aren't they just, I saw them on the epic too a few years ago! Hope to see them again when I go on the Breakaway. Brandon was hilarious! Miss the howl at the moon so much!

How much is the spa pass and can it be pre-purchased?

If not I assume we need to get onboard asap and go straight to the spa? Or is it purchased elsewhere on the ship?

The Thermal Suites passes vary by ship and can now be purchased precruise for I believe a 20% discount to the onboard price. The new Away ships run about $200 pp I believe. Of course, the POA does not have a Thermal Suites area, but it sure would have been great on all those cool sea days for the trans pacific;).

On the Escape, I did see an offer in the Freestyle daily for a 1 day pass the day we were in St. Thomas. This is the only time I have ever seen a day pass offered. I think the cost was around $50 or $60. We did buy the weekly passes on the Epic, and it was very nice, but I don't know that I'd do it again. I think we only paid $149 pp. The best way to do it is to snag a good deal on a spa cabin which comes with passes for two. But often it is just as cost effective to buy a cheaper cabin and just shell out the extra for the passes.

Edited by punkincc

The Thermal Suites passes vary by ship and can now be purchased precruise for I believe a 20% discount to the onboard price. The new Away ships run about $200 pp I believe. Of course, the POA does not have a Thermal Suites area, but it sure would have been great on all those cool sea days for the trans pacific;).

On the Escape, I did see an offer in the Freestyle daily for a 1 day pass the day we were in St. Thomas. This is the only time I have ever seen a day pass offered. I think the cost was around $50 or $60. We did buy the weekly passes on the Epic, and it was very nice, but I don't know that I'd do it again. I think we only paid $149 pp. The best way to do it is to snag a good deal on a spa cabin which comes with passes for two. But often it is just as cost effective to buy a cheaper cabin and just shell out the extra for the passes.

Thanks for the info. I don't suppose they will add a Thermal Suites area to POA during dry dock? I think it was reported that they are revamping the spa :)

I agree about going to a M&M if your roll call organizes one. We just attended one on Escape and about 15 officers attended. They had a table with juice, coffee, tea, cookies. They then had waiters passing smoothies and muffins. We received a NCL card with the names and numbers of all the top staff....if there had been a problem that would have come in handy! It was impressive!

I am a first time NCL cruiser also :)

I am starting to understand that almost everything needs reservations - better to be prepared. We can always cancel if needed.

Can we book the comedy shows online before we get on the cruise?

I am a first time NCL cruiser also :)

I am starting to understand that almost everything needs reservations - better to be prepared. We can always cancel if needed.

Can we book the comedy shows online before we get on the cruise?

Comedy shows were not available to pre book for the 2/14 sailing,

Since you are on "parent only" time, I would recommend to get a Vibe Pass or even a Cabana for the week at the Vibe Beach Club.

You can't book them in advance. So you Need to go to the reception right after check in it. Those passes are "first come,first serve" Basis.

I did it on Epic and it was worth the money