Passport Question???

hotshot99

We just renewed our girl's passport last month, which meant both parents going in person with her because she's a minor. Got it quicker than the clerk had predicted. I had been worried because the New Orleans office is closed, obviously, and they had been processing a lot of passports.

Our daughter's passport expires in Nov '06 - she is only 15 and it was good for only 5 years. I had read somewhere that they can't be closer than 6 months to the expiration date for the cruise lines to accept them - that means we would have to renew it before our July cruise....did I make this up or has anyone else heard of this '6 month rule'????:(

I had called Princess last month about the passports as I was concerned that Katriana's closing of the NO office will be causing a major delay. I was told that we wouldn't have a problem just taking our child's birth certificate. We decided to get it anyway as often one source tells you something different from another source. The problem was the birth certificate needed to go with the application. Fortunately, her renewed passport and birth certicate came.

I would check with the Passport agency's website about the rules and then call your cruiseline. If either one says to get it, bite the bullet and get it.

my passport is stuck in the Canadian Passport Office because apparently I have a smile on the passport photo. I've always had a smile on the previous passport photos and I have never encountered any problems getting my previous passports before via mail. Yes, I should have read the fine prints. Last time I applied for a new passport, I got it within 4 weeks (this includes sending between Los Angeles and Ottawa). This time, it has been 6 weeks and it is furthered delayed by them asking for new photos. I have 2 weeks left before my Mexican cruise and I have written to the Mexican consulate asking whether I can go to Mexico without my Canadian passport as I have US Green Card.

Your passport needs to be valid within 6 months of departure, so I would suggest you apply for one at least 4 months before your departure date.

Does anyone know whether I can get into Mexico with a US Green Card without a passport?

Maybe I wasn't real clear - we are cruising in July 06. Her passport expired Nov 06 so it will be valid until 4 months after we cruise....but I thought I read somewhere that the passport has to be valid 6 months after the date of travel. Does that make any sense???:confused:

Maybe I wasn't real clear - we are cruising in July 06. Her passport expired Nov 06 so it will be valid until 4 months after we cruise....but I thought I read somewhere that the passport has to be valid 6 months after the date of travel. Does that make any sense???:confused:

Yes, the passport needs to be valid at least 6 months after the embarkation date. So if you are cruising in July 06, your passport's expiration date has to be after Jan. 07. It doesn't make sense that we need to apply for a new passport almost a year before it expires, but that's what they want.

i believe that there are countries that DO require a US passport, regardless of the US's decision to postpone the requirement for a passport for US citizens to re-enter the U.S.

If you are not a US citizen, you will have to check your country's requirements.

For instance, on a Panama Canal trip going to Panama and Costa Rica, we (US citizens) had to have a passport in 2004. This was long before the new rule.

Canada, Mexico, Caribbean islands, Bermuda, Bahamas, & places that only required a US birth certificate and photo id in the past, will soon come under the passport requirement for re-entry into the US. But the deadline is no longer Dec 2005. They are fazing it in gradually. They changed their minds because the countries that depend on tourism were afraid the 2005 date would affect passengers this season.

Check the US passport web site (US State Department). There is somewhere in there a place to click for the individual countries' requirements for entry. The only difference is that a cruise traveler does not usually need a visa since they are for longer stays.

But as everyone else has said, it is still recommended that you get a passport. It's a good form of identification, and is good for 10 years (maybe shorter for children).

If you're planning to use the passport for ID, you'll need to get it renewed. If you are not planning to use her passport for ID, you'll need to bring the proper indentification (birth certificate, etc.) In the long run, it'll be a lot easier to just renew her passport.

For instance, on a Panama Canal trip going to Panama and Costa Rica, we (US citizens) had to have a passport in 2004. This was long before the new rule.

So anyone cruising in the next few months doesn't have a heart attack about the above statement, cruise ships have been exempt from the reguirement for Panama and Costa Rica, for example. Requirement applies to arriving and/or departing by other than cruise ship. While PP's are always advisable and the PP advocates will tell you they are a must, check with your cruise line for the absolute requirements.

for mexico and canada, an expired passport is ok. just went on the star from canada and on to mexico. in any event you don't even need a passport i use birth certificate and drivers license, my BW had the expired passport. beginning next year for mexico and canada the rules change

Archived