Pacific Eden in Sydney while Amsterdam is here

ozcruizer

Just perusing the Sydney Ports Cruising Schedule and see that the Pacific Eden (ex-Statendam) will be berthed at White Bay 4 on Thursday, 11th, while the Amsterdam is in Sydney. I'm not sure though how far apart these two berths are but they are both at White Bay. Just thought anyone who is on the Amsterdam might like to see it and what P&O has done with it.

Ozcruizer

I'm not sure either but I have family who live in Balmain (white bay) and there are a lot of complaints about the p&o ships that dock there as supposedly they cannot be hooked up to onshore power and so keep the engines running and send horrible smoke and odours over many of the local residents

Sent from my iPod touch using Forums mobile app

I'm not sure either but I have family who live in Balmain (white bay) and there are a lot of complaints about the p&o ships that dock there as supposedly they cannot be hooked up to onshore power and so keep the engines running and send horrible smoke and odours over many of the local residents

I think it may be possible none of the ships hook up to onshore power because the energy suppliers don't want the burden of supplying enough electricity for what would be like a small village or town. Not only that but facilities would be needed for the ships to hook up which would not be a small cost. White Bay probably isn't the best location for a shipping terminal but where else can it be in Sydney? Beautiful as our city is, shipping facilities are a bit scarce for the number of ships that come here during our summer.

Ozcruizer

I think it may be possible none of the ships hook up to onshore power because the energy suppliers don't want the burden of supplying enough electricity for what would be like a small village or town. Not only that but facilities would be needed for the ships to hook up which would not be a small cost. White Bay probably isn't the best location for a shipping terminal but where else can it be in Sydney? Beautiful as our city is, shipping facilities are a bit scarce for the number of ships that come here during our summer.

Ozcruizer

You are probably correct, I was told it was only the older ships but it may be the port itself. I do know there are petitions by the local residents. It's a big harbour but I agree, not sure what their viable alternatives are, infrastructure is something that has been a low priority for far too long in Sydney

Sent from my iPod touch using Forums mobile app