Liberty of the Seas. Post dry dock Internet. What no Voom!

Yep! Same old dial up speeds. Feb 7, 2016 right after the new dry dock and millions spent. Grrr! I read on the Internet Liberty was suppose to get Voom Internet. Not true. 31 kB/s download. 7.0 kB/s upload. 755 ms ping rate!

Forget onboard streaming, gaming or Utube.

It's the same old high orbit satellite I've experienced on most tired technology cruise ships. At least I get this slow dial up speed since I have a router right outside my cabin.

Hey RCL! We want our fast Voom now! Maybe you should ask for some money back from the folks who charged you millions for all this upgrade and forgot about the techie folks who cruise RCL.

BTW, RCL is my favorite cruise line since Diamond plus is still allowed in the Suite lounge. That's a real plus. I do enjoy free drinks in the Suite lounge. Best perk in the industry and I know since I'm top tier with most cruise lines. It's just I was expecting Voom and I'm so disappointed it's not on the ship I just need to vent.

One last note. Diamond Plus gets a $80 discount so the week was only $60 so maybe I shouldn't complain. That's really cheap for unlimited Internet service compared to most cruise lines.

Yep! Same old dial up speeds. Feb 7, 2016 right after the new dry dock and millions spent. Grrr! I read on the Internet Liberty was suppose to get Voom Internet. Not true. 31 kB/s download. 7.0 kB/s upload. 755 ms ping rate!

Forget onboard streaming, gaming or Utube.

It's the same old high orbit satellite I've experienced on most tired technology cruise ships. At least I get this slow dial up speed since I have a router right outside my cabin.

Hey RCL! We want our fast Voom now! Maybe you should ask for some money back from the folks who charged you millions for all this upgrade and forgot about the techie folks who cruise RCL.

BTW, RCL is my favorite cruise line since Diamond plus is still allowed in the Suite lounge. That's a real plus. I do enjoy free drinks in the Suite lounge. Best perk in the industry and I know since I'm top tier with most cruise lines. It's just I was expecting Voom and I'm so disappointed it's not on the ship I just need to vent.

One last note. Diamond Plus gets a $80 discount so the week was only $60 so maybe I shouldn't complain. That's really cheap for unlimited Internet service compared to most cruise lines.

It was well known that Liberty was not getting Voom during the dry dock. Scheduled to be getting it this summer. Sorry you are disappointed! How are the other upgrades so far?? Still day 3 for the slides opening??

... One last note. Diamond Plus gets a $80 discount so the week was only $60 so maybe I shouldn't complain. That's really cheap for unlimited Internet service compared to most cruise lines.

Unfortunate, but the $80 discount confirms it's a non-Voom ship. It would have been a perfect time to install the new equipment, but they must not be able to get it.

I'm certain that I'm in the minority, but YAY! :D I work in IT, and one of my favorite things about cruising is being able to tell people that they won't be able to reach me because I won't have access. With fast internet, that argument becomes a bit muddied. The cell phone and laptop will still stay locked in the safe, though. ;)

I'm certain that I'm in the minority, but YAY! :D I work in IT, and one of my favorite things about cruising is being able to tell people that they won't be able to reach me because I won't have access. With fast internet, that argument becomes a bit muddied. The cell phone and laptop will still stay locked in the safe, though. ;)

You can be reached and you may be able to ssh into your servers to provide support, so you are not off the hook. but, if your company expects you to have Internet they should pay for it. Most other cruise lines charge $.75 per minute so tell them that.

It was well known that Liberty was not getting Voom during the dry dock. Scheduled to be getting it this summer. Sorry you are disappointed! How are the other upgrades so far?? Still day 3 for the slides opening??

I just got on Sunday so this is only day 2. They are working on the Suite lounge expansion and not sure when it's going to be complete. The chairs in the Diamond lounge are more comfortable, so I'm hanging out there until the wife wakes up.

I'm on the ship for two weeks and will know more later.

Celebrity is also installing the new system, and I believe I read the upgrades can only happen as the existing contract on each ship expires. If that's true, it would probably be the same for the RCI ships. They may have completed the infrastructure work during dry dock, but won't be activating the system until a later date.

Celebrity is also installing the new system, and I believe I read the upgrades can only happen as the existing contract on each ship expires. If that's true, it would probably be the same for the RCI ships. They may have completed the infrastructure work during dry dock, but won't be activating the system until a later date.

Ah now that makes sense.

I was on the Celebrity Summit and they are staying with high orbit Satellite. Voom type service is not coming to Celebrity. According to their IT folks, the footprint for O3b service is too narrow.

O3b is the company offering Voom type service and omits the Northern and Southern Hemispheres in its current offerings.

I"m with you on that. I had read another article somewhere about the availability of that new satellite equipment being slow. From what I know of this type of installation they can do all the prep work ahead of time, integrate it into the current network and plop it in when its available. (As an IT person you know those are famous last words, but we will go with that for now.

• 4 months later...
  • 2 weeks later...

I totally agree!! That is the one thing I loved about cruising and the ability to detach from work, the internet, etc. While on the liberty this year I refused to even think about connecting. It was awesome. I did other things, like read a book, take a nap, meet new people, play bingo, see a show.

I got a email offer from RCCL that was specific to our LOTs sailing and clearly said VOOM.

I knew from posts here that is was not true HiSpeed but figured better than previous sailings and price points.

It was usable for email and the basics one might need for work etc. i would be with others that say stream level stuff for videos and whatnot, is just a distraction from having a good vacation.

Photos can be purchased and downloaded over the local wifi. I think it was more saturated on Day6 than usual.

Sent from my iPhone using Forums

You can be reached and you may be able to ssh into your servers to provide support, so you are not off the hook. but, if your company expects you to have Internet they should pay for it. Most other cruise lines charge $.75 per minute so tell them that.

Lol. Maybe in the 80's or 90's

According to RCCL all of their ships have high speed Voom as of May 1, 2016. Only exceptions are trans continental and re-positioning cruises. My wife and I mainly used Voom to stay in touch with each other on the ship using Google Hangouts.

According to RCCL all of their ships have high speed Voom as of May 1, 2016. Only exceptions are trans continental and re-positioning cruises. My wife and I mainly used Voom to stay in touch with each other on the ship using Google Hangouts.

I remember RC saying all ships would have VOOM by May 1. Maybe I missed it, but I don't recall them saying it would be high speed.

Edited by clarea

I know as of May 22, Liberty was still averaging a download speed of about 0.25mb/s, and ping delay of about 600-800ms...

Prior to May 1, all ships that had "Voom" were about 4-5mb/s, with a 200-300ms delay.

Then on May 1 they just re-branded all of their internet technologies "Voom", no matter what speed they were getting...

Prior to May 1, all ships that had "Voom" were about 4-5mb/s, with a 200-300ms delay.

The O3B equipped ships have an upper limit of about 25 MBs and had that prior to May 1. The others have an upper limit of about 4 MBs. It's not really the speed that makes many things sluggish on non O3B equipped ships, it's the high ping rate (600+ ms). Even a .5MB land based WiFi (which is what you get with SURF on non O3B ships) is plenty for most applications - but those connections have a ping well below 100 ms.