Carry on Bag Size Consumer Reports

Shak

Here is a pretty recent article from Consumer Reports about the actual size of carry on luggage. It seems some luggage manufacturers are still not including wheels, handles, or pockets in the size.

http://www.consumerreports.org/luggage/When-carry-on-luggage-isnt-carry-on-size

http://6abc.com/travel/consumer-reports-carry-on-luggage-isnt-always-carry-on-sized/1081390/

Shak

Well, that explains a lot of the bags that people insist will fit as they're trying to shove it into the overhead. :rolleyes:

To be fair I've never actually seen an airline strictly enforce the size unless it appears to be much too large, but that's still pretty ridiculous. I wonder if this is true of many international compliant carry-on bags too..

That's why we brought a tape measure when we last bought luggage. We didn't even bother with the measurement from the tags and just took our own.

I do the same -- one reason it is tough to buy bags online. However, I've been known to return them. ;)

It's odd how some bags look larger than they really are and some look smaller. Until the airlines uniformly enforce their rules, some folks will continue to try to shove bags that are too large into the overhead bins.

I have two gripes with "carry on luggage". First, stow it were you sit. Not in the front of the plane if you are not sitting there. Two, if you can't carry it easily without wheels, it's definitely not carry on! I'm going to add a third here, if it doesn't fit in the over head the first time you try to cram it in, it's not a carry on.

Just saying. FYI, I usually keep my bag under my seat and not have to worry about getting a spot in the overhead bin. There's nothing like seeing the flight attendant try to get the bin shut. I am sure she/he thinks I wish I could just heave this bag out the door or %*&)* expletives! :eek:

It's not surprising that airlines are starting to charge for carry-ons.

This is one of my pet peeves - the tag measurements and the REAL measurement - and yes I always bring a tape measure with me if required to make sure my suitcase is 'compliant' (no matter what size)....

I wish all luggage manufacturers would include handles/wheels etc on their tags, websites, etc so that we can make informed choices and not have any problems when at the airport!!!

On a recent trip the flight attendant told a woman as she was getting on to the plane that even though her carry on would fit on that plane due to oversized overhead bins that it would probably not fit on most aircraft. She would need to check it next time for future trips. The bag did look a little oversized to me. It also looked pretty new so i would be annoyed if i had just bought it. However Australian overhead sizes are different to overseas and I got the impression that the woman may have been a tourist .

My grown daughter & I travel with just ONE carry-on each. We got 16" carry-ons this time. With handles & spinner wheels, they're closer to 19 inches. (EBags gives exterior dimensions.) These even fit the new size restrictions that the European airlines tried to impose last year -- who knows if they'll try again & succeed? We'll just have to learn to pack less!