Just off the Jewel 2/7/16

Travelw

My wife and I are just off the Jewel. Loved the size and flow of the ship, first time on this's class of ship. In general the ship was in great condition, a few spots that carpeting showed its age but not bad. Quality of food in the main dining room was good, but menu selection was tough a couple of nights. I would recommend this ship to others.

Glad to answer any questions concerning the ship.

Dennis

Has the Seaview Cafe turned into an all pay venue, or are there still some complimentary items?

I hope not. DH is looking forward to his Cuban Sandwich. I thought this wasn't supposed to happen until after drydock? I understand it's supposed to become Izumi?

I hope not. DH is looking forward to his Cuban Sandwich. I thought this wasn't supposed to happen until after drydock? I understand it's supposed to become Izumi?

I had read that in the evening, they add a $10 burger option, but there are some complimentary items. I was just wondering if they have added more extra cost items.

My wife and I are just off the Jewel. Loved the size and flow of the ship, first time on this's class of ship. In general the ship was in great condition, a few spots that carpeting showed its age but not bad. Quality of food in the main dining room was good, but menu selection was tough a couple of nights. I would recommend this ship to others.

Glad to answer any questions concerning the ship.

Dennis

Heading to Jewel in a few weeks.

Tell me about some of the excursions you did?

Did you do any specialty dining? How was it?

Did they offer the 10 drink card? When?

Thanks so much. Glad you enjoyed your cruise. The Jewel is one of our favorite ships.

We will be sailing at the end of March on the Jewel which will be our first time cruising on RC. We are so excited. We are sailing out of San Juan visiting four ports, St. Thomas, St. Kitts, Aruba, and Curacau. I was wondering what nights are formal nights?

Thanks!!

The SeaView still has complimentary items, like the Cuban Sandwich for lunch on Sea Days. On Port Days it opens at 3 for the same Complimentary items. After 6PM, everyday, there is a $10pp service charge for Burgers & Beer or Stir Fry.

The SeaView still has complimentary items, like the Cuban Sandwich for lunch on Sea Days. On Port Days it opens at 3 for the same Complimentary items. After 6PM, everyday, there is a $10pp service charge for Burgers & Beer or Stir Fry.

Patti, are there still complimentary items available after 6pm?

We will be sailing at the end of March on the Jewel which will be our first time cruising on RC. We are so excited. We are sailing out of San Juan visiting four ports, St. Thomas, St. Kitts, Aruba, and Curacau. I was wondering what nights are formal nights?

Thanks!!

Nights 2 & 5 are the formal nights on this itinerary...

We loved these ports...and will be doing a similar B2B itinerary on Adventure out of San Juan this May....Enjoy !!

In the buffet did you notice if there was a gluten free section- if so did it only have curries for lunch and diner (that's what we had on Rhapsody- I like a curry but not every day lol).

thanks

There was no gluten free section in the buffet. I did ask for help from one of the chefs when trying to find gluten free foods. They were always willing to make me a hamburger with a gluten free bun when I got back from port in the afternoon. The MDR is open for lunch on sea days and it is much easier to find something gluten free there.

Thanks!!

We were on this cruise as well and had a great time! Loved the itinerary. Formal nights were day 2 & day 6.

What is this drink card some are talking about?

Some ships are experimenting with drink "punch" type cards. Vision had one that had 10 drinks for $79. It showed up towards the end of the transatlantic.

They are unpredictable and cannot be purchased pre-cruise.

Some ships are experimenting with drink "punch" type cards. Vision had one that had 10 drinks for $79. It showed up towards the end of the transatlantic.

They are unpredictable and cannot be purchased pre-cruise.

I think they start selling them the day after they stop selling the beverage packages (so usually mid-week). They were $75 for 10 drinks on our Jan 17, 2016 Jewel cruise - and staff encouraged people to share the cards.

We did not go to the Seaview cafe while on the ship. It had short hours that it was open and did not work for us. I do remember seeing in the Compass a listing for some sandwiches with a cost.

Formal nights on our cruise were Monday and Friday.

Our ports were St Thomas, St Kitts, Aruba and Curacao. Went to St John for a tour through RCCL. On St Kitts did a private tour with Thenford Grey, great tour. Aruba went to the Butterfly farm, natural bridge and a rock formation, through RCCL. In Curacao went to Hato caves and walking tour of Williamstead, again with RCCL.

Dennis

We just got off the ship on Sunday too--hadda spend that night in San Juan so as not to miss *any* of the Superbowl happenings (good thing: on Monday, our connexion in JFK was delayed for 5 hours).

Wonderful ship, decent food, great ports--and excellent entertainment. Dennis the CD is a riot.

Didn't do the drink card, but they did have occasional 2-for-$10 drinks, along with the $8 drink of the day--all for "boat drinks," as opposed to a glass of wine or standard cocktail.

Chops sort of promoted a Chef's Table--and we'd've done it if we could ever get more information! Big poster but never said what day. Didn't try specialty restaurants as we often do, but discovered the secret to a properly cooked steak: when it's a featured offering, order it instead from the standard menu items (the every-night chicken/salmon/pasta/steak list). In the past we've avoided those & gone for the evening's specialities. But one night, we got the featured steak & our tablemate went safe; her very same cut of meat was better, twice as thick, *actually rare*, quite tender.

Shorex from RCCL:

~St Thomas, Warning! the Christmas Cove and Honeymoon Cove sail (ST63, 6.5 hours, $109) instead was a pirate ship to Buck Island, mis-marketed by the tour operator; with their properly-marked tour sign/paddle, they took us on a trip which turned out to be ST97, 3.5 hrs & $69. They waited until we'd cast off to announce we were going to Buck Island (again? 4th time for us). When I spoke up, they said that it's "always" been this itinerary and the cruise ships persist in selling it as the other tour (!! talk about biting the hand that feeds you). So the operator got a full boat of folks who paid an extra $40 per head, and they halved their day's work. Shorex reimbursed us the difference, but sure would've liked a different day than what we got.

Per the actual tour: Schooner Blackbeard's Revenge to Buck Island was rocknrollin', as the boat rides differently than a cat; wear your seabands or take a pill. Several folks got terribly seasick. And no sailing: iron jib all the way. Entering the water, you have a choice of the ladder off the side or "walking the plank" (jump). Turtle Cove visibility tends to be very murky, as it was this time,...it was also an unwanted guided tour (aka constant goading to stay with the group); with 4 boats in the cove, we spent all our time avoiding flippers in our faces. Yes, we saw turtles--one of the places where they're tagged/tame (as in Barbados, Akumal, etc.). Recrossing the channel, the wind was at our backs & less choppy.

You probably know this, but Honeymoon Cove is NOT the famous Honeymoon Beach (classic: tranquil, white sand, palm-treed). That's on St John--quite close to Christmas Cove, in fact... This one is a commercialized strip of sand on Water Island, 2 bars, several food booths, toilets, loungers, a cordoned-off swimming area with a tented floating raft. 5-6 boats in the water; you can either swim in or take a dinghy. They gave us BBQ lunch and, back on the boat, painkillers (not drugs! the rum & pineapple drink invented in the VI). And pirate tattoos. Its sister ship, the Silent Lady schooner, matched us for each anchor; I expect they actually signed up/paid for the Buck Isl. pirate sailing. (Again, we never saw those red sails unfurled, though plenty of wind...)

~St. Kitts Catamaran Sail and Snorkel ($79 was EXCELLENT, on a catamaran built by its captain, not an overly-commercial party boat. Site had just one other cat, so snorkelers weren't crowded. (Facing shore, reef to far left is great.) On the way back they provided some delicious island flavor: freshly grated nutmeg on their rum punch, banana bread, guava gummies...

~Aruba: MiDushi snorkel had 3 stops, very professional, lots of fun! 1st & last snorkel stops were in shallower, calm waters; the middle one was deeper, over a sunken WW2 German boat. Lots of other boats stopping here too. Pretty good current, so if you're trying to get your workout in, this is the place. After the last stop, we had a great lunch with yummy flavored rice, nice grilled chicken and lovely fish, fruit skewers. Drinks, hard & soft, water, etc. They have a rope swing & everyone got to be kids again. Highly recommended.

At Curacao, as an FYI if you've been there before & want to do a private day: AARP/Expedia rents cars for $42.00 for all day. Walk off the boat & pick it up right on the pier. Easy island to drive--traffic okay, etc. Of course there are all kinds of other great options for exploring, but our plan: Playa Porto Marie is halfway up the west coast (45-min. drive) for a relaxed beach day. $5 entrance fee, $3 to rent a lounger; small beach restaurant, nice swimming, good snorkeling. A little dive shop to rent gear. In an undeveloped area so not overrun with hotels, etc. Apparently taxis will take you there too, for about $50 per person.

We usually fly in a few days early to foil Murphy's Law & flight delays, kind of easing into the vacay.. This time we took a tour from Fajardo to Culebra Island for snorkeling and visiting the world-class Flamingo Beach. Absolutely superb trip. SS Tobias is the company you want, experienced, highly competent. In every detail--safety, food, fun: these folks Do. It. Right. Their shuttle will pick you up at your hotel and drive the 40 minutes to the marina where you board. Be prepared for a bit of chop across the channel--prolly don't want to sit up top until it mellows out on the way back. (Watch for the iguanas!)

Food in Condado: This time, Cocina Abierta is the place. Better make reservations. And dress up a bit. For REAL SPANISH tapas, Bar Gitano! Sit outside, unless you're there on Thurs or Sun nights---then you'll want to be indoors to get a seat before the flamenco dancing starts. Breakfast: the original Pinky's (the big one, east of Marriott/Stellaris, not the one across from La Concha--tho that one's ok too). Packed with locals, so prepare to wait a bit. sit outside.

Edited by sofietucker

I have another question that is going to sound silly because there is so much information out there on what to where in the main dining room but most of it is about what to wear during formal nights. I am wondering if it is ok for my husband to wear dress shorts and a button up shirt in the MDR on the nights that are not formal nights?? We have cruised Carnival several times and DH have always worn dress shorts with a button shirt in the dinning room except on formal night when we both dressed to the nines. I am trying to pack lightly.

Thanks again!!

I have another question that is going to sound silly because there is so much information out there on what to where in the main dining room but most of it is about what to wear during formal nights. I am wondering if it is ok for my husband to wear dress shorts and a button up shirt in the MDR on the nights that are not formal nights?? We have cruised Carnival several times and DH have always worn dress shorts with a button shirt in the dinning room except on formal night when we both dressed to the nines. I am trying to pack lightly.

Thanks again!!

Shorts (dress, nice, or intelligent) are requested not to be worn in the Main Dining Room at dinner. However, you can probably ignore the cruise line's request because they are not likely to enforce it.