Anthem keeps docking us around

shaun07

Maybe some people were freaked out because when you are ordered to your cabin and it seems to be rolling 45 degrees even if it is actually rolling 15 degrees you still feel like death is a real possibility. if there was a meter in the room along with a plaque stating if the meter reads above 45 degree you have a reason to be concerned. it it reads 5 -15 degrees you have every right to be scared sh***ss and think you are going to die but in realty you are being a pussy so just wait it out. That might elevate some of the fear felt.

There's an App for that. ;)

Can anyone confirm if there really was a second storm developing near Florida like the captain said, or was that an excuse to turn around and head back so they wouldn't have to get everyone off in Port Canaveral causing more financial loss? Clearly he knew at that point the ship couldn't have made the trip to Bahamas and back to NJ at half power traveling that slow.

I don't think Rccl planned to put everyone in danger. I simply think its an issue of lack of planning . They were just casual and routine about it. A lets just go and see what happens kinda of attitude. How they have handled everything since has been terrible

Wait just a minute. Is this the same poster that accused rci of knowingly trying to kill 6000 people, yes you said that and most here followering will remember it. The post was still there late last night but I see this morning it has been removed along with around 16 of your other post. The tone changes in this thread are something:rolleyes:

Can anyone confirm if there really was a second storm developing near Florida like the captain said, or was that an excuse to turn around and head back so they wouldn't have to get everyone off in Port Canaveral causing more financial loss? Clearly he knew at that point the ship couldn't have made the trip to Bahamas and back to NJ at half power traveling that slow.

Watch the interview - it's very clear what was happening with the weather.

Wait just a minute. Is this the same poster that accused rci of knowingly trying to kill 6000 people, yes you said that and most here followering will remember it. The post was still there late last night but I see this morning it has been removed along with around 16 of your other post. The tone changes in this thread are something:rolleyes:

I did say that and also said i was being overly dramatic and kinda joking. I didn't remove the post. I don't think i can remove or edit posts after 20 mins.

I don't think they decided to kill everyone. I do think they didn't care enough to really plan and take all the precautions they should when being responsible for 6000 lives

Edited by shaun07

Usually there are a couple of those "golf balls" up there, so if one goes down they can use the other. And it didn't look like the antenna itself was damaged (hard to see in those photos), it may have just been the protective dome.

There is a second undamaged one (which I show in other pictures). Human nature, I guess to focus on the nekkid one. Since I don't know what they're supposed to look like I have no idea of it's entirety, but, it feels complete. Here's a clearer, I think, pic of the hardware...although, at this point, it's all moot. (The optics on the iPad are not anywhere as good as on my phone which I didn't have with me or this would be razor sharp.)

nakedgolfball.jpg

Radar maps of the area. Time stamps at the bottom of the screen shots.

88bc697f8ed361e6fdec9821f528f8df.jpg

7ab2f7cb68c78ba38ad800bdbe329444.jpg

Jacksonville didn’t have a storm system in its forecast, nor did one develop. I didn't take any screen caps of the JAX forecast, but you can get historic weather here:

http://www.timeanddate.com/weather/usa/jacksonville/historic

Print the screens if you need them, because the data only shows the past week or two.

Thanks POA thats what I figured. There's an article posted saying RC notified the Coast Guard of the damaged Azipod. So they knowingly lied saying the damages were only cosmetic. Obviously there was no way we could make it to Bahamas and back traveling less than 10 knots, so that was a convenient way to end the trip.

Radar maps of the area. Time stamps at the bottom of the screen shots.

88bc697f8ed361e6fdec9821f528f8df.jpg

7ab2f7cb68c78ba38ad800bdbe329444.jpg

Jacksonville didn’t have a storm system in its forecast, nor did one develop. I didn't take any screen caps of the JAX forecast, but you can get historic weather here:

http://www.timeanddate.com/weather/usa/jacksonville/historic

Print the screens if you need them, because the data only shows the past week or two.

there must have been something forecasted, at least a cloud or two, they wouldn't just make up a storm! Would they?

Last year Freedom was down 1 of her 3 props and she seemed to slow down by 5 or 6 nauts for several voyages. You could see the missing prop wash in her wake.

Bad thing is, it took a while to get it fixed

I remember that thread. LOL That was a lot of fun. I do not remember when you cruised the Freedom last year, but we cruised 19 April and had no issues.

I remember that thread. LOL That was a lot of fun. I do not remember when you cruised the Freedom last year, but we cruised 19 April and had no issues.

June for me, but Laura did September, October and December. No issues on any of them

This was all so avoidable. RCCL put the money over the passenger. Many options were available.
I am unable to see "many options". The only two realistic options I can think of are sail as they did (and that didn't turn out so well), or cancel the cruise (in hindsight perhaps the best option, but that also would have resulted in many angry customers). The other two options I see are sail to Canada (in FEBRUARY!) or sail toward Bermuda which again would be toward the storm.

Please help me understand what the many options were, and what choice you would have made to avoid angry customers.:confused:

I am unable to see "many options". The only two realistic options I can think of are sail as they did (and that didn't turn out so well), or cancel the cruise (in hindsight perhaps the best option, but that also would have resulted in many angry customers). The other two options I see are sail to Canada (in FEBRUARY!) or sail toward Bermuda which again would be toward the storm.

Please help me understand what the many options were, and what choice you would have made to avoid angry customers.:confused:

Cancelling would not have been the other likely options, but rather staying in port until, say, Monday morning or whenever the storm was more or less out of the way. That would, of course, result in altering the itinerary, and they still would have needed to do something to make it up to the passengers, and some passengers would be angry. But would have been less severe than cancelling the cruise.

Thanks POA thats what I figured. There's an article posted saying RC notified the Coast Guard of the damaged Azipod. So they knowingly lied saying the damages were only cosmetic. Obviously there was no way we could make it to Bahamas and back traveling less than 10 knots, so that was a convenient way to end the trip.

Not sure what they said on board, but what they said publicly would be more like "didn't tell the whole story" than "knowingly lied." Their public reports and tweets talked about cosmetic damage and assurance that the ship remained seaworthy.

One very logical option would have been just to let the people board and enjoy the ship but do not leave until safe to do so

I may be off base, but not sure if they can run that long on shore power and not sure if they can run engines at sufficient power while docked for several days

Not sure what they said on board, but what they said publicly would be more like "didn't tell the whole story" than "knowingly lied." Their public reports and tweets talked about cosmetic damage and assurance that the ship remained seaworthy.

The captain said multiple times on his videos the damages were cosmetic/superficial and not mechanical. Even said mostly everything had been fixed already. Now we hear they told the Coast Guard about the damaged azipod. It's clear to me they turned around canceling the trip because of the damaged propulsion, not a second developing storm.

Think about it we were traveling less than 10 knots how would we make it to the Bahamas and back to NJ? It would have lengthened the cruise by days.

there must have been something forecasted, at least a cloud or two, they wouldn't just make up a storm! Would they?

I don't know what weather information they had available to them or what went into the decision making process. I was just surprised to hear about the second big storm you were supposed to be heading into, because it wasn't in the forecast. Someone posted that the storm system was supposed to be forming in the Gulf of Mexico. However, that would have impacted Tampa or Panama City Beach as it came across, and they didn’t have storms either. Historic Tampa weather:

http://www.timeanddate.com/weather/usa/tampa/historic

And Panama City:

http://www.timeanddate.com/weather/usa/panama-city/historic

It was a bit chilly by Florida standards, though. There were some clouds, but it was mostly sunny. You avoided the clouds and chilly Florida weather by turning around and following the big storm back up the coast. Based on people's posts, it sounds like you might have run into the bottom end of it.

I don't see any options that would have avoided angry customers. Cancelling would have been the best. People would eventually get over having a cruise cancelled once they calmed down and realized why. The people who were actually on the ship, who were traumatized will live with that for a very long time.

I don't think Rccl planned to put everyone in danger. I simply think its an issue of lack of planning . They were just casual and routine about it. A lets just go and see what happens kinda of attitude. How they have handled everything since has been terrible

I'm sorry, but what? How has everything been terrible?

• They kept giving PA updates
  • For safety they asked everyone to stick to their cabins
  • They gave everyone free everything
  • They refunded 100% (those Carnival disasters that had people not using bathrooms/no power/sleeping on the pool deck never got full refund)
  • They also gave 50% for future.
  • They gave everyone free phone & internet to make alternate arrangements
  • They let everyone stay on board overnight after coming to port.

What more did you want?

I just don't see how a cruise ship that cost them A BILLION dollars to make, is worth losing to them for one probably not even sold out cruise to the Bahamas and back. It's not, there was weather. They thought they could skirt it, they were wrong, they apologized and everyone is back.

Edited by adjjb12

Sorry about your credit card Karina :( Hope all your refunds come quickly!

Apparently, in 4-6 weeks (between FCC, cruise refund and parking refund), I'm going to be rolling in dough.:D

On an unrelated but related note, while I was on the cruise, someone in Tennessee got hold of my credit card number and spent $500 at Gamestop. At least, I get that back in 2-3 days.

And, aw...shucks. Thankee ma'am.

Just got back to Europe after being on this cruise. I spoke to the captain as he wondered the decks on the last day at sea. Annoying I know but here are some facts:

Max wind speed encountered on the bridge was 170kts, or 196mph :eek:

Max list angle was 22°. The ship is certified to around 45°.

To those who say a bit of roll is normal the bit that wasn't normal was when the captain was trying to turn the ship 180° as bow to the wind wasn't working. That was when we were ordered back to staterooms and the ship took up that 22° list and stayed like that (in one direction) for about an hour. We were on deck 12, on the low starboard side, and when it didn't right itself quickly that was the only time I was a little concerned. After we righted it was fairly standard rock n roll!

The only really annoying things were having to change flights multiple times and them not refilling the pools. The couple of (slow) days at sea were pretty dull!

Yep, been on plenty of cruises where the crew tells you things they aren't supposed to...

Wait you are both saying that many crew members talked to you and said that the ship was going to go into dry dock and there was structural damage?:confused::confused: Seems to go against what a crew member who is paid by the ship would be willing to talk with a passenger about. Maybe I'm wrong but it seems to me when you are paid to work on a ship you wouldn't be saying any rumors to passengers. Especially rumors about the possible non seaworthiness of the ship.:confused: