Bit of a Blog : Solstice : Auckland – Fremantle – Sydney : February 14th 2016

NorbertsNiece

Linda,

Great pictures of Perth, thank you.

I was in Perth in 1977 as a young sailor in the US Navy. Four of us went out in town and did what sailors do, drank lot of Aussie beer. On the way back to the ship we bought a couple of sheep skins that we would later find out were not tanned properly. We brought them up to the computer room where we worked, wrapped them in plastic bags then put them under deck plates and forgot all about them.

Two months later we pulled into the US naval base in the Philippines and before anyone could leave of course security runs the drug dogs through the ship. Well the one that came to our computer room immediately alerted to the deck area we had stored the sheep skins (that we had forgotten :eek:). They lifted the deck plate and the dog leaped forward and broke through the plastic bag. That was when we realized how poorly the skins had been tanned as I have never smelled anything so bad. People were climbing over each other trying to get out of there.

Needless to say that dog was done sniffing for the day. We didn't really do anything illegal so we did not get into any trouble but the dog's handler sure was mad at us. :eek: :D

What is a BBB package?

Big, Better or Best Offer....Celebrity's current bundled offer where you can choose to have one, two or all of four optional perks (the last two options are at an extra cost) that include free gratuities, free classic drink pkg, $150pp OBC (total $300 per cabin) or free unlimited internet.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

Thank you for posting this Linda. :)

Are these prices including the 18% Service charge?

I must ask, where did you have the chocolate fondue?

Hi Martin & Lindsey, yes the prices include the service charge.

That was from Tuscan Grill.

Here's the antipasti with the GF foccaccio.....

DSCN8326.jpg

DSCN8330.jpg

Edited by NorbertsNiece

Gosh Bill that's some story!!

Some more pics from downtown Perth. St George's Terrace is the main street and runs parallel to the Swan River.

DSCN8203.jpg

DSCN8204.jpg

The Lodge to Government House, the official residence of the Governor of Western Australia. More about the Building and grounds here

DSCN8205.jpg

DSCN8208.jpg

DSCN8209.jpg

Hi Linda,

Still really enjoying your blog. A quick question if I may, and as a man who has given up on most joys/sins in life (booze, smokes et al) one that I am not prepared to compromise on is fresh decent espresso coffee.... Do the cafe's serve skinny/low fat/skim specialty coffees (caps/lattes)?

Hi Linda,

Still really enjoying your blog. A quick question if I may, and as a man who has given up on most joys/sins in life (booze, smokes et al) one that I am not prepared to compromise on is fresh decent espresso coffee.... Do the cafe's serve skinny/low fat/skim specialty coffees (caps/lattes)?

Yes they do :D

--------------------------

Heard from Fonefix Bondi Junction..... the only one of their stores that does the repair on Nokias is their CBD store. Open weekdays only. Back to the drawing board.

--------------

I've been chilling in the solarium today..... reading, swimming, exercising my hip. Talking to people. Eating light at the Aqua Spa. I've been loaned an iPad with a tour of the Art on the ship. Excited to walk that tomorrow. Will dine at Bistro on 5 tonight with my B2B offer. Lamb chops tonight :D

Popped into the Future Cruise place earlier to enquire about Galapagos for 2018. The only benefit for me to book on board is the lower deposit which I would lose if I cancelled. No other benefit to booking on board at all. The sticker shock was quite intense as well lol.

Edited by NorbertsNiece

Yes they do :D

--------------------------

Heard from Fonefix Bondi Junction..... the only one of their stores that does the repair on Nokias is their CBD store. Open weekdays only. Back to the drawing board.

--------------

I've been chilling in the solarium today..... reading, swimming, exercising my hip. Talking to people. Eating light at the Aqua Spa. I've been loaned an iPad with a tour of the Art on the ship. Excited to walk that tomorrow. Will dine at Bistro on 5 tonight with my B2B offer. Lamb chops tonight :D

Popped into the Future Cruise place earlier to enquire about Galapagos for 2018. The only benefit for me to book on board is the lower deposit which I would lose if I cancelled. No other benefit to booking on board at all. The sticker shock was quite intense as well lol.

Thanks for that Linda, got to make sure I can offset the buffet & MDR with those calorie pinching lattes!:cool:

I had a wonderful meal in Bistro on 5 tonight. Shane, an Executive Sous Chef, sat with me for a while. This is the perfect venue for me to eat without feeling crowded or polluted with the cacophony of the Main Dining Room. And they have GF crepes!!! Going back tomorrow for lemon sole and more crepes (Grand Marnier tonight). Such a pity it comes at a charge but very happy to have bought the special package.

Big, Better or Best Offer....Celebrity's current bundled offer where you can choose to have one, two or all of four optional perks (the last two options are at an extra cost) that include free gratuities, free classic drink pkg, $150pp OBC (total $300 per cabin) or free unlimited internet.

Argh! I don't think we get those special offers from here in the UK. It is interesting that you are in Melbourne and you get them.

Perhaps, if I am wrong about not getting special offers, someone in the UK can put me right. :rolleyes:

Argh! I don't think we get those special offers from here in the UK. It is interesting that you are in Melbourne and you get them.

Perhaps, if I am wrong about not getting special offers, someone in the UK can put me right. :rolleyes:

Might be worth booking through an Australian online travel agent. Could be cheaper as well as getting the current perks. I'm not sure what the rules are with that, but I am in Aus and have booked a couple of cruises through a US travel agent as well as a UK one. I just looked online and called them, and did the booking over the phone. Had no problems.

Don't Aussies have a reputation for liking their booze?

It seems to me that drinks packages are a hot topic in cruising conversations here.

We are fortunate to be D+ so have our freebie evening drinks and don't drink lots of soft drink or coffee. So a package is not value for us. Before the freebie drinks we used to buy a wine package for dinner but I don't think they have that any more :(

I am sailing on the Solstice April 26, Hawaiian Islands. Our first stop on Solstice class ships is Bistro on 5 for a nice relaxing lunch, have heard rumors that Bistro menu will be changing ti sushi. If you have an opportunity to ask will you please see if we will be enjoying salad and crepes for our first lunch or a frantic lunch in the buffet since we don't eat sushi. Posting the curent menu would be very appreciated also.

Bev

I am sailing on the Solstice April 26, Hawaiian Islands. Our first stop on Solstice class ships is Bistro on 5 for a nice relaxing lunch, have heard rumors that Bistro menu will be changing ti sushi. If you have an opportunity to ask will you please see if we will be enjoying salad and crepes for our first lunch or a frantic lunch in the buffet since we don't eat sushi. Posting the curent menu would be very appreciated also.

Bev

We were on Solstice in January and, like you, found it a much better experience having something light for lunch in Bistro on Five than the bun fight in the Oceanview. Mind you the Oceanview has nothing on the Windjammer on Royal Caribbean! :eek: Anyone would think the passengers have arrived with the promise of never being fed again!

I know Linda will have the answer, but I seem to remember seeing sushi on the menu in any case but not the whole menu.

Edited by I'm from Oz

Not to hijack thread but out of curiosity checked out their UK website as I though the new bundled pricing options were global. But not so! There is a current offer though where you get a free classic beverage package on select sailings in 2106/2017.

https://www.celebritycruises.co.uk/cruise-deals/free-drinks

Letter received this morning. Jumping out of order with pics.

No next port of call

DSCN8390.jpg

DSCN8391.jpg

DSCN8392.jpg

Had to smile though..... a friend on shore had received an email from someone on board with this information and posted to FB, I logged in to fetch awaited email..... so I rang Guest Services..... letter was outside my door.

Edited by NorbertsNiece

Still loving this blog.

Sorry to read about Bali Linda, it has made me decide that we will book Celebrity shore excursions to Bali for our October cruise just in case.

My questions are largely around what we can do on Australian based Celebrity cruises as I am worried some things are just confined to American based ones. Can we have bottles of water delivered to our cabin before the cruise? Can we bring aboard two bottles of wine? If we can, are we able to bring them to the MDR. We have asked for select dining, we like to eat by ourselves and are cruising with our two children (one adult, one preteen). They are likely to want to eat in the buffet most times. With select dining do we have a table for four allocated to us all the time or do we ask for a table for 2 or for 4 when we arrive? Do we pay for the good coffee in the Cafe even if we have a premium drink package?

I feel uncomfortable asking all those questions because it is like I expect you to be my staff or something even though you did ask. So only answer any you feel like, even if that is none.

By the way, your photos of Fremantle have made me want to travel there again, which after my trip there 20 years ago I thought would never happen!

Please feel free to ask any questions..... with all these sea days I need something to do other than attend a talk, learn origami, shop, gamble or drink coffee..... I'm not good with sea days..... I can't sit out in the sun and can't sit in my room as there's no natural light!! Had a 'conversation' about GF muffins with staff at the coffee shop this morning about their availability. They found some having been 'persuaded' to go look. Spent some time with a lovely roll call friend this morning exploring some of the art on board armed with an iPad and Art Book. Michael's Club has hidden gems and I got to enter those hallowed walls.

I'm reading a brilliant thriller.....' I am pilgrim' by Terry Hayes If you liked the 'Girl with the Dragon Tattoo' trilogy by Stieg Larsson this is a thriller with some quite gory bits.....

You can bring two bottles of wine per cabin on board. I'm not sure about corkage in the MDR but I'm sure there's someone here who does. With select dining there is no table reservation; often you are lucky to be seated in the same section each night. You are free to dine there whenever you want. Info about the various drinks packages can be found here. With the Premium Water Package you pick up your bottles of water at one of the many locations on board. If you want unlimited coffees too the Premium Non Alcohol Package is the way to go as you'll get the good coffee, bottled water, smoothies, sodas and non-alcohol cocktails as well.

We will arrive in Darwin on the 8th, stay overnight and leave on the 9th, so tours are having to be rescheduled for everyone. Loads of organising to be done by many then an extra sea day before Cairns. 4 sea days right? I'm going to cry. If they had a learn a foreign language class I'd go to that!! Plenty of time to get fluent ;)

Edited by NorbertsNiece

:confused:Hi Linda, In order to assist you with the passage of time on Sea Days...I did post these questions on my roll call about 4 days ago...yet to garner a response. But if you are willing...

Q1. When are the Chic/Formal Nights expected on our Cruise? (Our cruise is the reverse of your AKL-SYD leg ex SYD 27 Nov arr AKL 9 Dec) Does anyone out there know for sure? I am assuming three to be held… I have found some posts in other Solstice threads with similar itinerary to ours and taking a punt the most likely nights for chic/formal are

 Night 2 (At Sea) 28 Nov

 Night 6 (Cruising Fiordland) 2 Dec

 Night 10 (At Sea) 6 Dec

Q2. Do most people dine in the MRD on Chic/Formal nights or duck elsewhere to avoid dressing up like a peacock or a penguin? I don't mind dressing up and neither does my DW but she does think I look like 'mutton dressed as lamb'

Q3. What time do the major shows start in the evenings and are their two sessions (like the dining)? Trying to work this out to firm a decision on Dining Set Time Early or Late or indeed to take ‘Anytime Select Dining’? (At the moment we are on the 6pm dining slot.

There may be more stupid questions no doubt, so my apologies ahead of schedule.

It's a real shame you could not have called in to Geraldton or even Port Hedland instead, just to break up the journey to Darwin.

Our circumnavigation visited both these ports (going anti clockwise) after we visited Bali and before we reached Fremantle. It's easy to see why we have mostly cruised overseas. Options sailing in this part of the world are very limited! I'm not one to go out to the islands on a regular basis.

Being a proud Australian I loved both Geraldton and Port Hedland. However, unless you were really well read on what to expect in Port Hedland (I had never been there before) many people were horrified :eek:

I had done my best on CC to let everyone know what to expect, but as we know there are thousands who do not avail themselves of the informative tool CC is. Even Australians were whinging :rolleyes:

I hope you have an excellent pilot from Darwin to take you through the reef. This was one of the highlights of our trip. If he does the full commentary each day as we had, as well as talks on board (on the section between Darwin and Cape York before you enter the reef) make sure you listen out - the information on the history and geography is marvellous.

Of course you have the advantage of all being relieved of the need for the compulsory visa to enter Indonesia. :rolleyes:

Looking forward to your continued commentary which is so full of beautiful photos and information. Keep up the good work. You will need those sea days to refresh yourself before the onslaught of the East Coast :D

Edited by I'm from Oz

JDH : Typically 'Formal' nights were on the first sea day and again down the line on sea days..... your guess is as good as any and for sure they won't have planned that far ahead. You will get notification in the first Daily of when they are. I dropped out of the first chic night this cruise and ate happily in the Oceanview in my capris. It was not busy but for sure I wasn't alone. Judging by the amount of dressed up folks roaming the public areas most had availed themselves of the MDR Tournedos that night. Evening shows are typically 7pm and 9pm. Due to the appalling nature of the internet I've not been able to download any of the .pdfs I've been sent of the 'Daily' this cruise but promise to do so when I get to Sydney. I'm surprised to be online right now.

Do NOT apologise for asking questions. There are no stupid questions ok?

Valerie : One of the acquaintances I've made amongst the officers didn't know about the rescheduling of the itinerary until this morning. Some passengers still confused about the shifting forward of our time in Darwin. I do hope this will be explained in paper clearly for all later today.

Swissmiss6253 I recently completed an online survey for UK Celebrity guests and was gifted £20 Amazon credit as a result. This thriller will take a few more days to complete..... quite gripping...... I downloaded a Jojo Moyes to follow..... will make a note of your suggestion. Thanks :)

From the site that tracks marine craft....... :eek:

We weren't due to Darwin until the 10th.....

Bali%20cancelled1.jpg

I like in the STATUS of the pic above that is states you're underway using engines. I'd be worried if that status was updated to state you were underway using sail - I think that stint up the coast to Darwin will be long enough for you! [emoji38][emoji12]

You are lucky to have avoided Port Hedland. We visited there on the cruise last year. There is nothing there but red dust. Even all the shops were shut the day we visited. Bummer about missing Bali.

How does that affect duty free allowances as the cruise is now a domestic cruise and not an international one. Should make immigration and customs very quick on arrival back in Sydney.

As you guys are getting off we shall be waiting to get on