Bit of a Blog : Solstice : Auckland – Fremantle – Sydney : February 14th 2016

NorbertsNiece

DSCN8711.jpg

DSCN8713.jpg

DSCN8714.jpg

DSCN8715.jpg

I don't go in either of these pools, my exertions earlier had been enough. There are Australians enjoying the water..... one has a tinny with him.....

DSCN8720.jpg

DSCN8721.jpg

I've a very blurred picture of a lovely black and white bird sat in a tree.

From the viewing platform looking the other way

DSCN8734.jpg

DSCN8738.jpg

DSCN8742.jpg

Here's where we came a bit unstuck..... we were due to have lunch at the cafeteria at 12 noon..... that was put back to 1pm as there were other groups expected. We got there around 1245 and nearly everyone else went to see the falls. My friend and I went to get some food. They were still making sandwiches for the previous group but took our order. When the others came back from the falls half an hour later we were still waiting as were the previous group. Our driver decided to push on. But the two of us had paid for our lunches so we got them to go. Then the heavens opened and she and I never got to see the falls.

The area is known for its termite mounds

DSCN8744.jpg

DSCN8745.jpg

Grevillea - known for its nectar - our guide gets quite excited when he sees it growing by the side of the road.... I'm sure he left tread on the road when he braked.

DSCN8746.jpg

Edited by NorbertsNiece

Our guide got out and tasted the flower..... he said it was dry.....

DSCN8747.jpg

We eventually stop and everyone can buy something to eat and I can finally eat my salad. This is where the tour would have stopped for tea on the way out but we'd declined to do that.

DSCN8748.jpg

DSCN8750.jpg

DSCN8751.jpg

DSCN8753.jpg

DSCN8755.jpg

Edited by NorbertsNiece

There is a huge banyan tree

DSCN8757.jpg

DSCN8760.jpg

If you look just below the light bulb you will see quite a large spider..... as large as my hand.... couldn't get a better focus..... maybe someone else will share

DSCN8759.jpg

DSCN8773.jpg

DSCN8777.jpg

DSCN8778.jpg

More about the airfield here

Edited by NorbertsNiece

I've neglected to post a link to Litchfield Park with more information regarding the waterfalls. Here's their website.

The local harbour back at Darwin

DSCN8785.jpg

At the Passport Bar card tricks are being demonstrated...... this crew is just so talented!!

DSCN8787.jpg

Due to sailaway at 1700 it's 1715 and a Celebrity excursion to Litchfield Park is just returning.

DSCN8788.jpg

With this shot you can see the walk in to town

DSCN8789.jpg

There's live music out on deck

DSCN8791.jpg

Stokes Hill Wharf : At two minutes to ten on the morning of 19 February 1942, Japanese aircraft from the same attack group that had bombed Pearl Harbor, struck at Darwin sinking eight of the 47 ships anchored there. More about that here

DSCN8797.jpg

Sailaway

DSCN8803.jpg

DSCN8804.jpg

DSCN8807.jpg

DSCN8805.jpg

DSCN8806.jpg

I have a blurry pic of Ben (Cruise Director / CD) and Pete (Activities Manager) more blurry because Ben doesn't stand still. Ever. I took the pic whilst they were in front of the camera filming their programme for transmission tomorrow; I happened to be in the Oceanview getting my dinner at the time. Then I had a light bulb moment.... I'll grab a pic from the programme and post it with tomorrow's pics......

There was a party atmosphere in the Grand Foyer this evening..... big band sound, 50s themed lots of high energy dancing and singing from the professionals.

I've a little routine at bedtime..... I pop out and up a couple of decks to the cafe for a hot chocolate.

I just popped out and there's an envelope popped in the number holder thingy outdside. I've been invited to join Shane Mansfield (Food & Beverage Director) (this is the same Shane who took care of me in Murano and previously...... unless there's another Shane.... I really do need to read badges closer..... or they need to be bigger.....) and Marius Gitlan (Executive Chef who I met last cruise) for an exclusive Lunch & Seafood Buffet tomorrow. Deck 3 Grand Epernay so there'll be plenty of others..... gosh. I've never been to an exclusive event...... unless it was an on board watch sale ............ ;)

Edited...... lots of popping there..... I need to sleep......

Edited by NorbertsNiece

DSCN8792.jpg

DSCN8793.jpg

A couple of the professional dancers are strenuously working out.....around an hour in that heat.... kudos.

DSCN8795.jpg

The pilot is out and about

DSCN8796.jpg

I zoom in on this view

DSCN8799.jpg

DSCN8801.jpg

This picture of the Eagles is just amazing!

Sent from my iPhone using Forums mobile app

I have just spent the best part of 2 hours catching up with your blog after reading a recommendation on another roll call. Thank you for taking the time to share and post some fantastic photos.

We will be doing 3 cruises on the Solstice next year starting in Auckland taking in Caledonia then Cairns before returning to Sydney.

Seeing your photos and reading your narrative wishes me I was already there. :)

On formal nights do men get dressed in suits or is it more casual than that?

Sent from my iPhone using Forums mobile app

To be honest there's a bit of everything on Chic nights; tuxedos to open necked shirts. Have seen one kilt.

I have just spent the best part of 2 hours catching up with your blog after reading a recommendation on another roll call. Thank you for taking the time to share and post some fantastic photos.

We will be doing 3 cruises on the Solstice next year starting in Auckland taking in Caledonia then Cairns before returning to Sydney.

Seeing your photos and reading your narrative wishes me I was already there. :)

Thanks. And to everyone who's been here since I set out a month ago and for everyone who's joined since, I'm really amazed that I've held your attention. Two medevacs and now a technical stop.....

Will be heading to a talk shortly : 'Steering Clear Of The Reef' by the reef pilot Captain Gerrit-Jan Hulsebos just before we navigate the northernmost tip of Australia.

I just realised the last few pics didn't make it here..... dinner in Oceanview....

This was ALL GF!! Mediterranean themed..... I was delighted that they also prepared GF chips / fries for me. There was also Moussaka and a wonderful Catalan Lamb stew. Do remember to ask the Senior Chef on Duty which dishes are GF as these weren't signed.

DSCN8817.jpg

DSCN8818.jpg

Here's a pic of me leaving Oceanview...... I'm in the red top at the top right!! ;)

DSCN8836.jpg

Edited by NorbertsNiece

DSCN8823.jpg

DSCN8824.jpg

My passport has been returned......

DSCN8825.jpg

They're playing a putting challenge outside Murano's in the Ensemble Lounge

DSCN8826.jpg

DSCN8827.jpg

Solo Travellers Lunch in the MDR. We sat with everyone else..... we were a group of 9 women and one gentleman. Apparently I'd missed a previous one.

DSCN8828.jpg

Edited by NorbertsNiece

A mixology class is taking place at the Molecular Bar. Friends are there and I'm offered a taster. I decline...... grin.

DSCN8834.jpg

The most incredible thunder and lightning..... seemed to be right over us at one point was so loud....I happened to be outside reading at the time..... when I'd walked outside I'd not had a clue it had been raining.....

DSCN8835.jpg

I pop by the show..... I love how the Executive Officers are so visible..... Ben has been out front too .... anyone can approach and talk to them and they do likewise with the guests.... just checking in with them.... makes it a very personal experience. Real people people if that makes sense.

DSCN8841.jpg

Ben presents tonight's show.

DSCN8843.jpg

I don't stay. It's Rock Night which I love but I told you about the hearing aids... this is full throttle and with the incumbent tinnitus I end up boogying / shimmying down the corridor.....

Bistro on 5. You've seen the menu. Soup of the day is a Sweetcorn Chowder. GF.

DSCN8848.jpg

DSCN8849.jpg

No comment ;)

DSCN8833.jpg

Need to know what this drink is.... and where do I get it?? (Looks like Al Bacio, but is it available anywhere else on the ship if Al Bacio is too busy?) And can I blame you after my cruise when I've gained a few pounds? :p

Edited by Cassicruiser

Need to know what this drink is.... and where do I get it?? (Looks like Al Bacio, but is it available anywhere else on the ship if Al Bacio is too busy?) And can I blame you after my cruise when I've gained a few pounds? :p

Hahahaha

I asked if they could do me a chocolate milkshake thingy..... it's a technical term ;)...... and this is what I got. Elsewhere you could ask for a virgin mudslide but I believe this cafe version is made with icecream as opposed to 'just' cream.

-------------------

Went to watch the tiramisu demo. Using an electric mixer..... I do mine by hand.... chef topped his with a sprig of mint. Mary Berry would probably have something to say about that (Brit reference..... she's a national baking treasure..... practically perfect in every way)

Everyone else at the invited lunch today was also wondering why they were invited.... I was struggling to find a common denominator..... Turned out we're all B2B and this was a thank you. They are doing this on 3 different days so as to fit everyone in. Also special for the circumnavigation aspect which isn't to be repeated any time soon. Tables groaning with food..... managed to get a couple of pics in before the hoards descended.... most of the hot dishes were GF including Lobster Thermidor, and that tureen (?) (I forget the word for the huge container they use to serve many) had to be replenished several times.

Yesterday was the first meeting of a guest choir. Second is later this afternoon. I think one of the songs we're performing is 'I dreamed a dream' from Les Mis. Sigh. Not my favourite musical I have to confess. And it's written as a solo..... should be interesting.....