Bit of a Blog : Solstice : Auckland – Fremantle – Sydney : February 14th 2016

NorbertsNiece

We're somewhere near Thursday Island / Prince of Wales Island...... If anyone out there can pick us up on a live map and screenshot it for me I would be so grateful..... the Marine Traffic site I use doesn't show a current location....

Going to head out on deck.....

Found us

heading%20to%20WI.jpg

Well Done! Enjoy cruising this beautiful region.

Loved my stay on Thursday Island and the ferry across to Punsand Bay, where we stayed in an on site tent.

https://www.capeyorkcamping.com.au/

Note the beautiful beach.

Seeing the Corrugation Bar reminded me of the English gentleman who tried to ride his motorbike to the Tip. A guest was telling us about this man who kept falling off his bike, so a guy in a ute ended up putting his bike in his ute and drove him the rest of the journey. A quiet English voice, from the background, said "That was me!".

Edited by MMDown Under

Wow. Fantastic photos and annotations of your trip to Litchfield - we actually loved that trip more than going to Kakadu which really has the name of THE place to visit in NT. Though we have toyed with the idea of spending more time in Kakadu to really see it. Too far for a cruise ship excursion.

Just have to make a correction - It is John McDouall (no 'g') Stuart who forged the way from south to north - and we have driven on it from The Alice! Would love to do the rest :D I'm an Outback lover :eek:

Super photo of the Fish Eagles - they are such magnificent birds.

On a completely different note - our daughter posted her all girls high school rendition of "I dreamed a dream" at their presentation day. Sublime. But then again - I adore the musical.:o

Performed at the Opera House no less - will share link if I can find it - not here.

Enjoy the Reef sailing.

Valerie.... I saw Douall and thought it was a typo!!!! Lol.... thanks for coming to my rescue (again) and also thanks for naming the eagles....

In between and during the choral workout I've been plotting us online...... we've passed Wednesday Island now and heading SE. I had one of those d'oh moments and realised that instead of keeping running down to deck 3 from 14 to see where we were I could bring my laptop up to deck 14..... made some more friends as a result!!

Chic night..... will go and change into something else..... lots of little outcrops of rocks ahead and land to our starboard..... they're moving chairs in the lounge..... better vacate..... Elite alert.....

Edit : of course if I'd not gone and smashed up my smartphone I could've been really live during the passage......

Edited by NorbertsNiece

I am interested to hear that you are finding it so hot. I can't take much humidity and you have so much energy getting out and about on all the ports! This itinerary is not one I am keen on due to the heat and humidity at the top end.

Yes, the way the officers are available and seen everywhere on Solstice is a credit to them and the whole "can do" attitude on the ship. A very different experience on some other recent trips we have done with RCI. Solstice is not perfect every day but the respect level is just so much higher.

I don't want to be fauned over or fussed over, but just treated like the staff are glad we are there and not just a nuisance asking for things that when we booked we were told were part of the package ( for example the "enhansed program for suite guests"). Or things that they offer for your loyalty that they then "forget". Getting off soap box now. ;)

I am interested to hear that you are finding it so hot. I can't take much humidity and you have so much energy getting out and about on all the ports! This itinerary is not one I am keen on due to the heat and humidity at the top end.

Yes, the way the officers are available and seen everywhere on Solstice is a credit to them and the whole "can do" attitude on the ship. A very different experience on some other recent trips we have done with RCI. Solstice is not perfect every day but the respect level is just so much higher.

I don't want to be fauned over or fussed over, but just treated like the staff are glad we are there and not just a nuisance asking for things that when we booked we were told were part of the package ( for example the "enhansed program for suite guests"). Or things that they offer for your loyalty that they then "forget". Getting off soap box now. ;)

We did the circumnavigation of Australia on Radiance in October/November which was still hot in the Top End and humid in Bali (always is!) but I believe is certainly preferable to travelling the route in March. It may be warmer in the south of course, but it's a trade off. :)

How/when/why do they take your passport? Don't really like parting with my passport.....

We have often had our passports taken from us while cruising.

It is a requirement of many countries throughout the world that the ship either produce the passports showing passengers already have a visa entry or need to have a visa entered.

In some cases we have gone ashore in a foreign country without our passports because that is what was required (don't want anyone overstaying their welcome I suppose). It's all to do with local immigration.

It's no big deal.

Edited by I'm from Oz

We have often had our passports taken from us while cruising.

It is a requirement of many countries throughout the world that the ship either produce the passports showing passengers already have a visa entry or need to have a visa entered.

In some cases we have gone ashore in a foreign country without our passports because that is what was required (don't want anyone overstaying their welcome I suppose). It's all to do with local immigration.

It's no big deal.

Thanks, didn't know that. Cruises we have done we kept our passports and when we had to see immigration we went with our passports, had them checked/stamped with us present.

Valerie : thanks for riding shotgun with me; your physical presence would have been so welcome though!!

mtn_couple : Were our passports not taken from us we would not have been able to leave Australia without going through a control. Neither would we have been able to enter / leave Indonesia similarly. By handing them over our precious time was saved. Then again, hindsight is a wonderful thing under the circumstances we find ourselves in ;) Passports were taken off us after Adelaide on the previous cruise, if my memory serves me correctly.

We are joining Solstice when she reaches Sydney, can you tell me if Vegemite is readily available in the buffet for breakfast or does hubby need to bring his own? Thanks.

I understand that it is (from a joke either Ben or JP made a while ago) but I will confirm.....

-------

A friend, a guest not crew, overheard this blog being discussed by Senior Staff at a meeting.... unfortunately she couldn't recall which picture in particular they were discussing.... I'm delighted that we're being followed..... wish I knew which pic had piqued their interest..... (pun intended).

Edited by NorbertsNiece

We took a cruise down the Nile in Egypt and had to pass over our passports for 2 days. Wasn't quite happy about it at first but what are you going to do when they tell you you have to. Everything was fine and we received them at the end.

Sent from my iPad using Forums mobile app

I should be asleep.

Turned on Navigation Channel before turning in having spent way too long trying to upload to Twitter to see our heading posted as 214°. It's now 173° - 171° Wish I could pick our track up on the scanner..... had it earlier during the Torres Strait passage but can't raise it now...... that pilot is sure being kept busy.....

We got quite close to Hammond and Wednesday Islands..... had been able to track us at that point. Lots of islands / rocks / navigation aids.... lovely sunset over calm waters.....

Oooooh whilst editing our heading is 150° and falling

Edited by NorbertsNiece

Linda, I am wondering if you would be able to post any information on the various treatments at the Spa and prices.

Also, do you know if it is possible to pre-book treatments before getting onboard?

Your blog is really whetting my appetite for our cruise out of Sydney on 9th April! :rolleyes: We have never cruised with Celebrity before.

Edited by Martin and Lindsey

Linda,

Just wanted to once again thank you for your blog. I still have 38 days till heading out to Hawaii but you are making the time tolerable. :)

Hey Bill :)

Another hot day expected in the Coral Sea; we've left the Indian Ocean and are back in Pacific waters. Forgot to mention a conversation I overheard in a lift / elevator yesterday.

"Bingo's been cancelled. Again. 6 people showed up".

"At those prices I'm not surprised. Would be around $500 to play daily if you add it up."

:eek:

Cruise Critic lunch today.

Add more alcohol

DSCN8861.jpg

Dip lady fingers (I use a GF almond cake cut thin) in coffee with more alcohol and layer in dishes or glass

DSCN8864.jpg

Add this stage I add strawberries that have been soaked in ...... brandy.....

A bag? I use a large spoon!!

DSCN8865.jpg

He's flattened with a palette knife then sprinkles with chocolate

DSCN8868.jpg

And decorates

DSCN8869.jpg

Let me know if you want my recipe ;)

I *think* we just passed Turtle Head Island. The website I use to pick up our almost live location isn't picking us up right now.

Ben always follows the Captain's 10am Navigational and Weather update with useful information.... unfortunately sat in Cafe al Bacio there's too much chatter going on to confirm.

Going on mission to get Spa prices.

Edited by NorbertsNiece

Current location info : Wonderful CC friend from the first cruise sent me a link with a more up to date tracking system. They link in to the site I'm having trouble accessing..... thanks Jann x

---------------

This was a really interesting talk given by the Reef Pilot however the pics I have are not great. Taking pics of pics etc etc..... The best place for you to get the information with the maps he used is here

DSCN8871.jpg

DSCN8874.jpg

DSCN8878.jpg

DSCN8886.jpg

DSCN8887.jpg

DSCN8891.jpg

Edited by NorbertsNiece

DSCN8907.jpg

Monitoring the reef

DSCN8915.jpg

He told tales regarding the life of a Reef Pilot, their accommodation, food and stories of accidents at sea, some incidents involved huge fines where ships hadn't involved a pilot...... this area is so highly protected. Do check out the link I mentioned above. It's all in there.

--------------

Here's our most recent location..... that can't have been Turtle Head Island we passed earlier.

W1%20heading%20towards%201203.jpg

Edited by NorbertsNiece

I *think* we just passed Turtle Head Island. The website I use to pick up our almost live location isn't picking us up right now.

Ben always follows the Captain's 10am Navigational and Weather update with useful information.... unfortunately sat in Cafe al Bacio there's too much chatter going on to confirm.

Going on mission to get Spa prices.

Ha - it can be hard to hear yourself think at Cafe Al Bacio when its busy let alone the ships announcements :p

Checking out marinetraffic to see where you are its amazing to take into account the enormity of the reef... is there much visible from the ship, or is the Aust. coastline the more eye catching view?

Just on a sidenote, in another thread we've been discussing purchasing the beverage packages onboard. Could you suss out when is the latest in the cruise you can do this - any of the bars should be able to advise. Some believe up to 4 days prior to the end of the cruise, others believe they can only be purchased in the first few days. I have created a beverage package calculator which is part of a Celebrity Drinks FAQ thread here on CC that we would like to update with the info!

Many thanks in advance! :)

P.S. loved the photos of your tour at Lichfield. Stunning! I also checked out the AAT Kings website and sadly don't think we will be able to do on our single day stop - it leaves so early and returns late in the day. Shame Celebrity do not extend the times a little in both Darwin and Cairns (as its also a tight to get tours out to the reef etc) to accomodate full day tours - although you sure got an extended stop in Darwin due unforeseen circumstances! :D

The CC lunch went really well. Ben attended and performed a magic trick at my table.... close up hand stuff.... really clever.... Brenda (our Group Coordinator) arrived late but I was able to present her with the gift that had failed to be exchanged at the last cruise gift exchange. Celebrity really did us proud with some wonderful hors d'oeuvre platters; same menu as last time. We had a better turn out this cruise than last time which was lovely and unexpected. Shane, the Food and Beverages Director, just stopped by my table here to check that all was ok..... this crew really is exceptional. And I know there is much going on with arrangements for tomorrow's early technical stop (9am ish)

One of my Cruise Critic friends decided to hold an impromptu slot pull. 13 of us turned up. Had a half hour of fun and walked away with $1 profit each :D ;)

I've been to a choir rehearsal with the amazing Chicco. Am singing with the Altos..... as I get older my ability to reach the higher ranges has faltered.

--------

QE2_Fan : Have been told they stop selling the drinks packages 3 days before cruise disembarks. Currently nothing but sea to see outside on the starboard side.