Assigned check in...you got to be kidding me

caymancouple

Glass half full huh? :rolleyes:

I have boarded around 2:30 before, it wasn't that bad.

Not sure what your response is about. Carnival identified an issue with their process due to larger ships/more passengers. the obvious answer is to have more staff do check ins. This has NOTHING to do with boarding or when the ship is ready. That's entirely separate. But for people who have to vacate a hotel they should be allowed into the terminals and Carnival should have adequate staff for check in. This is just Carnival not paying for the resources and shifting the problem to the guest.

No other cruise line out there will deny people from going through security and entering the terminal besides Carnival.

You can pour whatever amount you want in the glass and call it whatever you wish, but that's an accurate assessment.

Orrrrrrr, you drop your luggage off at the port and go grab lunch somewhere. Or a drink. Or do some shopping. Or hang out at the beach. Or get a late checkout. Or any number of other things. It's a big world out there.

I'd prefer to grab lunch on the ship. After all, I have paid for it in my cruise fare. If you wish to tour around and board later, feel free.

I'd prefer to grab lunch on the ship. After all, I have paid for it in my cruise fare. If you wish to tour around and board later, feel free.

I'm good. I live in South Florida. I was just trying to help you with some options so you wouldn't be such a negative nelly.

I'm good. I live in South Florida. I was just trying to help you with some options so you wouldn't be such a negative nelly.

I live in South Florida too. I'd prefer to board and eat the lunch I've paid for.

I am realistically explaining that Carnival chose to make this a guest problem rather than having more check in agents. If they had more check in agents they wouldn't have any issues.

Save your labeling, it's unnecessary and doesn't bolster your position any.

It just doesn't seem that big of a deal, if you want to make it one that is certainly your prerogative.

Not sure what your response is about. Carnival identified an issue with their process due to larger ships/more passengers. the obvious answer is to have more staff do check ins. This has NOTHING to do with boarding or when the ship is ready. That's entirely separate. But for people who have to vacate a hotel they should be allowed into the terminals and Carnival should have adequate staff for check in. This is just Carnival not paying for the resources and shifting the problem to the guest.

No other cruise line out there will deny people from going through security and entering the terminal besides Carnival.

You can pour whatever amount you want in the glass and call it whatever you wish, but that's an accurate assessment.

I live in South Florida too. I'd prefer to board and eat the lunch I've paid for.

I am realistically explaining that Carnival chose to make this a guest problem rather than having more check in agents. If they had more check in agents they wouldn't have any issues.

That's your opinion about needing more staff. That may have resolved it some but not fully in my opinion. I also don't think this has to do with bigger ships since the biggest have been part of the fleet for years.

It has become a trend with everyone wanting to be first and showing up early. Yet the boarding times have always been after 1 pm. And since boarding is a separate process, getting there to check in as early as possible only clogs the terminal and causes confusion, because unlike you, many don't know or choose to ignore the difference between the two processes. This need to be first has been exacerbated by this fttf business. Collectively it has caused issues. But since Carnival is in charge, they call the shots. This particular change I'm perfectly fine with. Those who aren't, well I guess you can keep wearing yourself out about it. But I would be surprised if it ever goes back to the free for all it was before. Even if they add more port employees.

Sent from my SCH-I435 using Tapatalk

Usually onboard by 11:45AM - Noon. And am not in the first boarding group and don't have FTTF.

I was referring to what is usually listed on the boarding pass. However what's stopping you from continuing in this same manner with the new process? I'm just asking.

Carnival is in uncharted waters, whether fans want to admit it or not. NCL and RC have not felt the need ban guests from entering the terminal until their chosen/assigned times, despite having larger ships with more passengers. Even Disney's system is very different. Maybe other cruise lines are watching to see what happens, or maybe they think it's a terrible idea, but Carnival is testing this out on its own. Google staggered check-in to read an article on how other lines are approaching this differently and focusing on getting people on the ship quickly rather than keeping them out of the terminal.

I think it's important to discuss the potential problems and the negatives, and I don't see why some feel the need to tell others why they shouldn't care.

Sounds like the best thing to do is online check in as early as possible before your cruise, so you can choose the earliest check in time available. The early ones probably go first!

We have arrived early to be herded with hundreds of others waiting to board - everyone wants to get started early, right? ....and we have arrived after 1:30 when it was a leisurely check in, boarding, and right to the cabin to drop off carry on luggage, then up to Lido for a drink and late lunch!

Next cruise, I'm trying FTTF for the first time...

I read the article and to me it is ridiculous for RC and NCL to have this but not enforce it - otherwise what is the point? If Carnival didn't enforce it then nothing would change. Now if only they would enforce some of the rules on board no one follows......:rolleyes:

http://www.travelweekly.com/Cruise-Travel/Large-cruise-lines-increase-practice-of-staggered-check-in

Carnival is in uncharted waters, whether fans want to admit it or not. NCL and RC have not felt the need ban guests from entering the terminal until their chosen/assigned times, despite having larger ships with more passengers. Even Disney's system is very different. Maybe other cruise lines are watching to see what happens, or maybe they think it's a terrible idea, but Carnival is testing this out on its own. Google staggered check-in to read an article on how other lines are approaching this differently and focusing on getting people on the ship quickly rather than keeping them out of the terminal.

I think it's important to discuss the potential problems and the negatives, and I don't see why some feel the need to tell others why they shouldn't care.

Why does it matter if you eat lunch at noon or 2pm (as an example)? Carnival had made their decision. Would you rather eat lunch a little later in the day or have the cost of more employees tacked onto the cruise price? You need to be able to adapt to new things NN. A late lunch won't be the end of the world, I promise.

Why does it matter if you eat lunch at noon or 2pm (as an example)? Carnival had made their decision. Would you rather eat lunch a little later in the day or have the cost of more employees tacked onto the cruise price? You need to be able to adapt to new things NN. A late lunch won't be the end of the world, I promise.

but.... not having anything to c/o about might be the end of the world. Just a wide-eyed, can't wait to get on a ship kind of newbie...but whineyprivileged1st world problems like this make me crazy. Complaining about not getting free lunch when most of the people in the places you are going won't be getting any....

I read the article and to me it is ridiculous for RC and NCL to have this but not enforce it - otherwise what is the point? If Carnival didn't enforce it then nothing would change. Now if only they would enforce some of the rules on board no one follows......:rolleyes:

http://www.travelweekly.com/Cruise-Travel/Large-cruise-lines-increase-practice-of-staggered-check-in

Exactly.

And I don't really care whether the other lines do it or not. Or enforce it or not. Carnival doesn't always have to follow behind another company.

but.... not having anything to c/o about might be the end of the world. Just a wide-eyed, can't wait to get on a ship kind of newbie...but whineyprivileged1st world problems like this make me crazy. Complaining about not getting free lunch when most of the people in the places you are going won't be getting any....

:rolleyes: Oh, please. Not more of this "1st world problem" you-should-be-ashamed-to-complain-about-anything-cruise-related-on-a-site-called-Cruise-Critic-because-other-people-have-less-than-you tripe.:rolleyes:

Have you ever found anything less than satisfactory or been disappointed by the way something was being handled? Have you ever complained about it? We're all better off than a huge majority of people in the world, that has nothing to do with what's being discussed here.

I have no dog in this fight - I book Suites, purchase FTTF and check in when I want to. But other people have feelings about this change and they have every right to express their feelings without getting an inappropriate guilt trip from you.

And BTW, where did you get your "facts"? How do you know most people in the ports of call that these ships will visit won't be getting lunch? Just curious.:rolleyes:

Edited by ShakyBeef

We honestly don't care about when we get on board. The buffet isn't running dry.

Always amazed at the amount of energy folks spend debating this topic. You're on vacation, so relax. But, be this as it may, the whole "I need to be first/entitlement" mentality makes itself known a bit more every year. Carnival marketing sure is capitalizing on this with the FTTF arrangement.

And no matter what, we've always see folks behaving without manners or regards to folks around them when in crowded situations. Makes me wonder how these folks would behave during an emergency.

These same folks who demand to be first, are often later seen on the cruise dragging you know what.

How can you find if this applies to your port? I am sailing out of Long Beach. My friends and I have been thinking of doing a last minute cruise but I am nervous we will get stuck with an obnoxious check in time.

Also this matters to us because we plan on buying the Cheers program, will be driving a distance and will want to be able to relax sooner, plus the friend has never been on a cruise and I want to be able to orient here as quickly as possible. Thanks!

We honestly don't care about when we get on board. The buffet isn't running dry.

Always amazed at the amount of energy folks spend debating this topic. You're on vacation, so relax. But, be this as it may, the whole "I need to be first/entitlement" mentality makes itself known a bit more every year. Carnival marketing sure is capitalizing on this with the FTTF arrangement.

And no matter what, we've always see folks behaving without manners or regards to folks around them when in crowded situations. Makes me wonder how these folks would behave during an emergency.

These same folks who demand to be first, are often later seen on the cruise dragging you know what.

I have never pushed in front of anyone. I don't demand to be first. I wake up, travel to the port, and get in line. I never complained about the lines and always thought Carnival did a great job getting everyone through check-in and onto the ship as soon as it was ready. I thought the system worked well. I like first come, first serve, although I had no problem with platinum guests going ahead. I think the new system causes more problems than it solves and does not reflect an understanding of good customer relations. This has nothing to do with an entitlement mentality, rudeness, or lack of concern for those who have less money.

[quote name='Victorious8']How can you find if this applies to your port? I am sailing out of Long Beach. My friends and I have been thinking of doing a last minute cruise but I am nervous we will get stuck with an obnoxious check in time.
Also this matters to us because we plan on buying the Cheers program, will be driving a distance and will want to be able to relax sooner, plus the friend has never been on a cruise and I want to be able to orient here as quickly as possible. Thanks![/quote]

Here's the PDF from Carnival listing all the ports and times:

[url]https://help.carnival.com/ci/fattach/get/90416/1454607880/redirect/1/filename/Embarkation%20Check-In%20Times.pdf[/url]

It looks like Long Beach has not yet gone to Staggered Check-In. Have a great cruise.:)

[quote name='ShakyBeef']:rolleyes: Oh, please. Not more of this "1st world problem" you-should-be-ashamed-to-complain-about-anything-cruise-related-on-a-site-called-Cruise-Critic-because-other-people-have-less-than-you tripe.:rolleyes:

Have you ever found anything less than satisfactory or been disappointed by the way something was being handled? Have you ever complained about it? We're all better off than a huge majority of people in the world, that has nothing to do with what's being discussed here.
[/QUOTE]

why yes, I have, but I don't b!tch about it for years and compare it to doing "that" thing 60 years ago....oh wait, I'm not old enough to do that.

Bless your heart, I hope your future cruises are all perfection and you never have to wait in line or miss your lunch...especially that lunch thing...my goodness, missing a lunch might drop your blood sugar and make you grumpygus. Oh dear, is THAT where the shakes come from. I can see your point now.

Have a great day.

[quote name='KatieCharlotte']I have never pushed in front of anyone. I don't demand to be first. I wake up, travel to the port, and get in line. I never complained about the lines and always thought Carnival did a great job getting everyone through check-in and onto the ship as soon as it was ready. I thought the system worked well. I like first come, first serve, although I had no problem with platinum guests going ahead. I think the new system causes more problems than it solves and does not reflect an understanding of good customer relations. This has nothing to do with an entitlement mentality, rudeness, or lack of concern for those who have less money.[/QUOTE]

I agree with you on about 95% of this. I do, however, feel that the FTTF add-on has everything to do with capitalizing on the "me first/entitlement" mindset that is so pervasive in today's society.

[quote name='ShakyBeef']:rolleyes: Oh, please. Not more of this "1st world problem" you-should-be-ashamed-to-complain-about-anything-cruise-related-on-a-site-called-Cruise-Critic-because-other-people-have-less-than-you tripe.:rolleyes:

I have no dog in this fight - I book Suites, purchase FTTF and check in when I want to. But other people have feelings about this change and they have every right to express their feelings without getting an inappropriate guilt trip from you.

And BTW, where did you get your "facts"? How do you know most people in the ports of call that these ships will visit won't be getting lunch? Just curious.:rolleyes:[/quote]

[FONT=Comic Sans MS][SIZE=4][COLOR=DarkGreen]I get on when I get on. It is no big deal to me. I just wanted to say I loved your post!
[/COLOR][/SIZE][/FONT]

[quote name='LMaxwell']It is staggered check in. If you arrive too early you can't even go through security and sit to wait your turn, they simply leave you out on the sidewalk. If you get stuck with a 2:30PM check in time and have to leave your hotel by 11AM, too bad; no A/C, no bathrooms, and certainly no lunch for you.

Carnival should have simply had more check in agents but decided to cut costs and make this a guest problem. Everyone cheers Carnival when they get a 10:30AM slot, but let's see how it goes when they get a 2:30PM slot.[/QUOTE]

But again, it is also having 3500 people waiting to board, not just check in. I was unaware checkout from a hotel meant you had to leave the premises. I think you might be surprised that not everybody wants to board at 10:30. Lunch will be waiting for all, I dare say no one will go hungry.