Use both 110 and 220 volt outlets?

richmke

I understand that most cabins have an outlet by the desk that has one 110 volt outlet, and another 220 volt outlet.

Most of my stuff is 110 volts, but the power adapters for cell phone and laptop are dual voltage. they can take 110 or 220 volts.

My question is: Can both 110 and 220 volt outlets be used at the same time?

Thanks.

FYI: I will be traveling on the Carnival Glory

Yes. They can be used simultaneously unless the plug of the item is too wide and blocks the other outlet. My battery charger is like that. Otherwise I just bring along a couple of small European style adapters and use them.

Edited by Viv0828

• 3 weeks later...

I brought along an adapter for the 240 volt plug. It have a very unstable connection. Upon further inspection, I discovered that the 240 volt socket is a universal socket, and I could plug in my stuff directly (in the vertical direction, vs horizontal). It make a solid connection, and worked like a champ. I plugged in my laptop that has 4 usb ports for charging everything. That left the 110 volt socket free for all my wife's stuff.

I discovered that the 240 volt socket is a universal socket, and I could plug in my stuff directly (in the vertical direction, vs horizontal). It make a solid connection, and worked like a champ. I plugged in my laptop that has 4 usb ports for charging everything. That left the 110 volt socket free for all my wife's stuff.

That's a big assumption to make that a 240v socket will only provide 110v if you use 2 of the vertical holes. Are you sure that is the case, or was it that your laptop power adapter down converted the voltage? Many laptops are dual power capable, whereas any other item plugged into this outlet may immediately burn up. Since Carnival includes no label or information that this outlet provides anything other than 240 volts, no one should be surprised to lose their 110v electronics by plugging them in without a proper voltage converter.

Check your adapter. Most chargers for electronics can auto-adjust to use either 110 or 220 (or 120/240). The only issue is the plug itself - does it fit or does it need an adapter? I picked up a nice adapter that can use outlets in basically any country in the world. It doesn't knock 220 down to 110 so I can't use it to run certain things, but all my chargers (camera, laptop, tablet, phone) can use the higher voltage.

I always take my adapter on cruises even in the Caribbean because most ships have both outlet types.

That's a big assumption to make that a 240v socket will only provide 110v if you use 2 of the vertical holes. Are you sure that is the case, or was it that your laptop power adapter down converted the voltage? Many laptops are dual power capable, whereas any other item plugged into this outlet may immediately burn up. Since Carnival includes no label or information that this outlet provides anything other than 240 volts, no one should be surprised to lose their 110v electronics by plugging them in without a proper voltage converter.

The socket is 220v. My point was that I did not need an adapter. My electronics are dual voltage.

Lots of electronics come with a 110 volt plug and a 220 volt adapter. Most people forget they have an adapter and just leave it in the original box. If you haven't thrown yours away, dig it out and bring it along instead of a plug in strip that may or may not get confiscated. Besides, the adapter is smaller and weighs less too. The adapter gives you the ability to double your outlet ration in your cabin.

Yes, some European round pin outlets also have the two flat blade US openings as well. While this worked well for OP, some folks will plug items that are not dual voltage into the 220 outlet, thinking it is fine since the plug matches the outlet.

This one takes British, European, US and Australian plugs.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/File:Multi_plug.jpg

This one takes European and US plugs.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/File:Thai_socket.jpg