water island? mosquitoes?

firstalaskatrip

Hi. We are going to be in St. Thomas in about a week and a half. Neither of us is pregnant, but I still don't love the idea of Zika virus. I was wondering if there are a lot of mosquitoes at the beach in St. Thomas. Also- we were considering an excursion that goes to turtle cove and then takes people to honeymoon beach on water island. Would the beach part of this be likely to be buggy? Also - do you recommend this beach/type of excursion? Wondering if we would be better off with just a two site snorkeling trip without beach time - called turtle cove and shipwreck snorkel - any idea how the snorkeling is? Appreciate any thoughts. Thanks!

I have been to Honeymoon Beach on Water Island a few times (in Jan and Feb) and never encountered mosquitos. The beach there is nice and worth a trip. We went on our own via the water taxi from Crown Bay Marina and it was never crowded. I have heard that there are several excursions that go there now so its no longer a "private paradise" as I described in my blog: http://www.joyfuljourneyist.com/blog/10-to-paradise Not sure if you will enjoy it as much with the crowds.