Just heard Ovation for Nov. 18 cancelled

My opinion - I really don't think there is a true charter. The new HK cruise terminal offers a much better location to showcase a new cruise ship in Asia than Tianjin. The Genting Dream (Crystal cruises new venture) - similar size to Ovation and also currently under construction at Meyer Werft yard, is debuting in HK fall early November with very strong marketing. RCCL want to compete and HK is the place to do that - maybe a 3rd party involved in marketing locally, but I doubt it is a full charter of the ship.

Just my opinion. I will try and find out - I have a future cruise certificate I want to use towards this Asia trip, which clearly states it cannot be used on charters!

I think you might have something there. I'll check out these cruises and see if they work for us.

Royal has charted this ship. Major bummer for us of course and all who booked it. We already have the air reserved on miles so the cost of putting the miles back in the bank will be 100% recovered but man we really liked this itinerary and ship. Well we just have to figure out what to do. Perhaps we can transfer a similar ship and itinerary further out. Time to look at schedules I guess.

It still shows on the website...... http://www.royalcaribbean.com/cruises/5NightBestOfTaiwanCruise-OV05I312?currencyCode=USD&sCruiseType=CO&sailDate=11%2F18%2F2016

So does the 23rd sailing http://www.royalcaribbean.com/cruises/7NightHongKongToSingaporeCruise-OV07I095?currencyCode=USD&sCruiseType=CO&sailDate=11%2F23%2F2016

Edited by emdia43

I don't get it. They sell a certain cruise and then decide to charter out the whole ship to someone else, cancelling all reservations?

Get used to it, there is no loyalty to it's customers. If they want to charter ships, charter them before they are scheduled and opened up to the general market.

It still shows on the website...... http://www.royalcaribbean.com/cruises/5NightBestOfTaiwanCruise-OV05I312?currencyCode=USD&sCruiseType=CO&sailDate=11%2F18%2F2016

So does the 23rd sailing http://www.royalcaribbean.com/cruises/7NightHongKongToSingaporeCruise-OV07I095?currencyCode=USD&sCruiseType=CO&sailDate=11%2F23%2F2016[/QUOT

The original cruise out of Tianjin is gone and the new alternatives don't work for us. Time to move on. Major bummer too as we were supposed to port in Okinowa which as a WW II history buff I wanted to see.

If they want to charter ships, charter them before they are scheduled and opened up to the general market.

I agree.

Who the heck charters an entire ship anyway? I mean here you have RCI with (some/lots/most - delete as appropriate) cabins already filled on the cruise... and then they decide to dump everyone off in order to sell to a "higher bidder?"

Who needs an entire ship all to themselves? Big corporations planning big corporate events and unable to do so well in advance?

The original cruise out of Tianjin is gone and the new alternatives don't work for us. Time to move on. Major bummer too as we were supposed to port in Okinowa which as a WW II history buff I wanted to see.

There is the Mariner Of The Seas leaving Shanghai on 7 Oct 2016 which stops in Okinawa and ends in Singapore.

Perhaps you might want to consider this itinerary?

There is the Mariner Of The Seas leaving Shanghai on 7 Oct 2016 which stops in Okinawa and ends in Singapore.

Perhaps you might want to consider this itinerary?

Thanks but those dates don't work for us and also we would've liked an Anthem class ship.

My opinion - I really don't think there is a true charter. The new HK cruise terminal offers a much better location to showcase a new cruise ship in Asia than Tianjin. The Genting Dream (Crystal cruises new venture) - similar size to Ovation and also currently under construction at Meyer Werft yard, is debuting in HK fall early November with very strong marketing. RCCL want to compete and HK is the place to do that - maybe a 3rd party involved in marketing locally, but I doubt it is a full charter of the ship.

We were on the Mariner of the Seas inaugural cruise to Asia in 2013, and the first RCI ship to visit Kai Tak terminal in HK. Apparently RCI is an ownership partner of the terminal, and that's why it wasn't opened until a RCI cruise ship docked there, with a lot of fanfare and media attention. As a memento we all received a miniature of the ship (similar to the Glass Blocks) with the name of the port on it. I suspect the Ovation OTS will get a similar party!

absolutely gutted with this.Booked it for my wifes 50th birthday to be told it was chartered. here is the letter

Important changes to your booking on Ovation of the Seas - 18th November 2016 Your booking reference 172614

I am very sorry to let you know that we have had to cancel the sailing of Ovation of the Seas on 18th November 2016. We know that you will be disappointed, and we only take this action when it is necessary. On this occasion, Im afraid we have had to cancel the sailing because it has been chartered.

We do realise that this change is unwelcome and we are genuinely sorry that this has disrupted your holiday plans. Once we knew that the cruise would be cancelled, we began to plan how best we might help you.

Your options:

You have three options to choose from and you need to inform us of your choice please by 5:30 PM on 21st February 2016.

A. You can change your affected cruise to one of the selected ship and cruise dates below. You will be allocated the same type of accommodation and can secure at the protected or best available rate. As with all bookings, this is subject to availability.

Ship Sail

Date Voyager of the Seas 10th May 2016

Ovation of the Seas 12th June 2016

Mariner of the Seas 07th October 2016

Voyager of the Seas 11th October 2016

B. You can change your affected cruise to any other Royal Caribbean International sailing, subject to availability. If the new cruise is more expensive, then guests will be responsible for paying the difference. If the new cruise is less expensive, guests will receive a refund for the difference. We will be happy to help you find a suitable replacement holiday.

If you choose option B, we would be pleased to give you an on board credit for the new sailing in the amount of:

 $200 per stateroom for Categories Inside, Outside and Balcony  $400 per suite for Category Suites

The on board credit is being offered as recognition for the alteration to your plans and for any disappointment you have experienced.

If you booked a cruise-only package and you are to change to one of the given alternatives, we will reimburse you for additional costs incurred when changing your airline tickets. We are reimbursing affected guests up to £150 per person for domestic flights and £200 per person for international flights. We will need the receipts from your airline for the additional costs for changing your flight. Please note that guests who cancel their sailing or flights are not eligible this reimbursement. Please send these to our Customer Relations Team at Royal Caribbean International, Building 3, The Heights, Brooklands, Weybridge, Surrey KT13 0NY.

Please let your travel agent know what you have decided as soon as possible and no later than 5:30 PM on 21st February 2016. You will need to complete the enclosed form and give it to your travel agent so that they can send it on to us. Your travel agent will be pleased to help you action your change or will pass on any questions you may have to us so that we can answer them.

Once again, please accept our apologies and we look forward to speaking to you.

Yours sincerely,

Stuart Leven Managing Director, UK & Ireland

I received this 22/2 2016 but have to reply by 21/2 2016

absolutely gutted with this.Booked it for my wifes 50th birthday to be told it was chartered. here is the letter

I received this 22/2 2016 but have to reply by 21/2 2016

Did you contact them and if have they extended the more than tight :eek:deadline- I hope you get something sorted

Alternatives are no good. Birthday is in December. Royal Caribbean could not care less, they will be getting full whack for the ship being chartered.Which is good business sense but it leaves a bitter taste in my mouth.

Alternatives are no good. Birthday is in December. Royal Caribbean could not care less, they will be getting full whack for the ship being chartered.Which is good business sense but it leaves a bitter taste in my mouth.

That would be true if the ship was actually chartered. Fact is that the cruise has been split into two cruises that are departing from Hong Kong and are sold via their website. I am not sure why they are not just honest about this.

Corinna

I wrote to Stuart Leven (Executive Guest Relations UK) to complain and here is the reply i got.

Firstly, I would like to apologise for the obvious disappointment that you must have experienced, being notified that your originally chosen itinerary on Ovation of the Seas could no longer proceed as the ship had been chartered and even more so when you have noticed that similar dates remain open for sale.

I would like to explain that at the point the notification was sent to you, the ship was intending to be chartered and as such it was not possible to proceed with the itinerary as planned. However, shortly after the notification was sent, the future plans changed once again, and the ships itinerary was redeployed to two shorter itineraries rather than chartered.

The chain of events is certainly unacceptable and I am truly sorry for how this matter has evolved. Your feedback is extremely important to us and I will raise your concerns with our redeployment team.

I wrote to Stuart Leven (Executive Guest Relations UK) to complain and here is the reply i got.

Firstly, I would like to apologise for the obvious disappointment that you must have experienced, being notified that your originally chosen itinerary on Ovation of the Seas could no longer proceed as the ship had been chartered and even more so when you have noticed that similar dates remain open for sale.

I would like to explain that at the point the notification was sent to you, the ship was intending to be chartered and as such it was not possible to proceed with the itinerary as planned. However, shortly after the notification was sent, the future plans changed once again, and the ships itinerary was redeployed to two shorter itineraries rather than chartered.

The chain of events is certainly unacceptable and I am truly sorry for how this matter has evolved. Your feedback is extremely important to us and I will raise your concerns with our redeployment team.

I am still not buying that there ever was a charter. I think it is what someone else said that they are just getting more exposure in Hong Kong. Thanks for sharing.

Corinna

Total Lies!!! We were also booked on this cruise and had a week or so until Feb 19th to choose a new option. This is before you even received the email and the new cruises were up on the website for sale back then.

We decided to book Mariner on Oct 7th. Not entirely happy but we will make the most of that extra $400 OBC.