Ice skating with toddlers

Veng

I've never taken my toddlers ice skating, I have no clue if it's a good idea or not. Looking at RCL's website, they only go down to a size 2 youth, which is much too big for my 2 and 1 year olds. If I buy and bring ice skates for them in toddler sizes (which frankly would cost 1/2 of a single person on an excursion, so not that expensive at all) will they be able to skate? Beyond that, even if they are allowed to, do you think they would be able to skate?

Based purely on watching other families at our local ice rink, I doubt a 1 or 2 year old would be able to skate their first time out. If you are seriously considering purchasing skates for your trip, I suggest taking your kiddos to your local ice rink and giving it a whirl with rental skates first.

RCL requires skaters (of any level) to wear a helmet while the skate. I wonder whether their smallest helmet would fit a 1 or 2 year old.

I do know know if there is a minimum age requirement to skate on RCL ships.

I would not go to the expense and bother of bringing personal skates. The open skates are fun, especially for kids and families; however they are not all day, just very specific times, and not that often. Everyone has to wear helmets, long pants and socks. Even if you know how to skate, it is a lot different on a moving ship. Keep in mind that your toddlers will not be tall enough to "hang on to the side" as most new skaters do. It is also a very small rink. My grandkids loved it, but the youngest was 5, and all are experienced skaters.

Do you ice skate? If so, you already know the level of motor skills necessary to skate. Could you skate and keep safe control of two toddlers on a rink with other skaters? Helmets don't help with forward falls. I think this is a fairly easy one to answer.

I've never taken my toddlers ice skating, I have no clue if it's a good idea or not....

Would you have help with them or are you attempting to take two toddlers ice skating for the first time, by yourself? Yikes, you are braver than I am. :p Additionally, given how fast toddlers feet grow, I think the skates would only be good for one season. If you want to give them skating lessons when they are older, I think that would be a great idea, but at home.... not on a very small ice rink on a cruise ship.