Weird Question

Robin7

I've got a weird question. I just got off the Oosterdam yesterday. It's almost 5pm on Sunday, and I still feel the 'ship' move! Is that normal? I remember this happening from my other cruises but not for this long. How long does the sensation last for you all?

I also brought home a case of 'traveler's complaint' so maybe it's that?

Robin

I've followed this phenomenon closely on these boards. It seems to vary a LOT but most seem to report it lasting 2-4 days, with some as long as 2-3 weeks.

A couple in my Sunday School class got off the Caribbean Princess yesterday and she said this morning she almost fell in the shower from this sensation.

I do. It isn't unusual for me to have a sensation of a 'moving floor beneath me' for a day or two after a cruise. I always think of it as getting back my 'land legs'. It passes and truly is no big deal.

I always think of it as getting back my 'land legs'. It passes and truly is no big deal.

That's a good way to think of it! It's not a big deal to me, either. Kind of a 'souvenier,' so to speak.

For those of you who don't have it, do you get sea sick? I get it occassionally. I was sick the last night after packing. We were on the Verandah deck in the back, and the motion was very noticable. With all the bending and walking around the cabin while packing, I was pretty woozy when I was done. I wonder if there's a correllation between being prone to motion sickness and feeling the sensation following a cruise?

Robin

There is no connection with seasickness and 'floor under my feet' for me as I almost never get sea sick. Very, very rarely I might have a touch of it but most usually do not.

It certainly is possible that all of your packing and movement may have exacerbated some feeling of motion sickness...especially being far aft.

Robin7 . . . I would give anything to have 'land legs' (as Sail cleverly put it) right now. Or better yet, I would welcome it MORE in about a week or two!!

Regarding your question, I often have the same sensation, but not always. I'm not sure what determines when I do and when I don't. In my case, it has NOTHING to do with seasickness as I have never been seasick.

I will add that the sensation is more obvious whenever I'm leaning over my large utility sink. That has always left me baffled! I feel as though it has something to do with water!

My DH & I experienced it after our last cruise. I almost fell @ the airport, tripping over nothing, on our flight home from the port...it was so embarrassing, I was sure people thought I'd been drinking. For us, it lasted 4-5 days. At first I thought I had an inner ear problem until it dawned on me what it was.

It happens to me every cruise, lasts up to two weeks. I've never been sea-sick but get dock rock/vertigo every time. My Dr. recommended I take Dramamine (or such). So now I start taking it while still on board and it lessens the symptoms once we get home.

First time I noticed it, I had gone back to work the day after we returned from the cruise and my computer screen was "swimming".

Hope you feel better soon.

I always feel that motion-of-the-ocean sensation for several days following a cruise. I think the degree to which I feel it is related to the size of the ship and how much wave action we experienced on the cruise.

It happens most often when I am standing at the sink doing dishes or at night when I am brushing my teeth. I first felt it following crossings to Europe and return, back when I was in my late teens. Fifty years later, the sensation is still the same.

I have never been seasick and always adjust to the motion of the ship very quickly. DH was prone to seasickness, rarely had the "land legs" sensation after returning from a cruise.

I was very surprised to hear that you got sick when packing to go home. in over 40 cruises, this has happened to me several times. Sometimes it isn't even very rough. We are usually in a cabin just rear of the rear elevators. I do think that either sinus problems or coming down with a cold where you might have slight ear problems may be a contributing factor. Just sitting in one place seems to help, and I try to eat something. I have felt the motion when I get home after very few cruises. Keeping my sea bands on after I get home helps with the movement after a cruise.

I find that as time goes on, I am more prone to motion sickness. I use the Sea-bands and they work both while I am on the ship and especially after I get off. I have had reverse seasickness affect me for as long as two weeks. It all has to do with the inner ear.

I had a problem with dizziness akin to seasickness last spring which was very damp (and hence a lot of mold to which I am allergic). My doctor prescribed Flonase which helped to clear out the inner ear. I am going to try this when I have seasickness or reverse seasickness on my next cruise to see if it helps.

Roberta

my sis had just started a new job after our last cruise and was meeting with all the "brass" for the first time at a local restaurant. As she was talking to one of them the "ship started moving" and she grabbed the table to steady herself - they all had a good laugh when they realized she wasn't drunk.

I always have the "after ship" sailing sensation. I can be prone to some sea sickness, but that has gotten better over the years as I experience more sailing and have a better handle on when I need to take a little bonine.

I have always felt that this sensation was related to my sinuses and the inner ear. As I get used to sailing, I imagine that the fluid in my inner ear starts to "slosh with the ship" making it more comfortable for me to sail. When I leave the ship I am still "sloshing" even though the ground is not. The rougher the seas while on board, the longer it takes for this sensation to disappear. For instance, after 10 days on a sail boat I might still be sloshing some 3 weeks after getting home. After last June's very tame cruise on the Zuiderdam, I only sloshed for a day or two.

In my worst case scenarios, I have stubbed toes and even fallen while compensating for the "movement of the floor" in my home. I never complain too much about this as it means that I have recently been cruising. When truly bothersome, I take bonine until it clears.

I get it after every cruise. My doctor told me to take the Bonine pills for a couple of days after get home. It takes it right away, and I don't feel like the floor is moving or the screen swaying.

I've got a weird question. I just got off the Oosterdam yesterday. It's almost 5pm on Sunday, and I still feel the 'ship' move! Is that normal? I remember this happening from my other cruises but not for this long. How long does the sensation last for you all?

I won't necessarily feel the floor moving, but the really neat thing I experience for about a week after disembarking from a cruise is that I will wake up thinking I am still on the ship. I will be trying to figure out if it is 7:00 a.m. or p.m. and wondering if I've missed dinner or breakfast. :)

It's actually a wonderful sensation ... feeling like you are still out to sea ... and I am only sorry when it finally ends after about a week.

Blue skies ...

--rita

For anyone who has been in the USN on a small ship, this is a very common experience. Many, many years ago (~50!), I spent three years on a destroyer. This small ship (2250 tons, 341' long, 41' beam) was very susceptible to pitching and rolling even in modest seas. After a few weeks at sea, the first few hours on land without the accustomed motion, walking seemed difficult. However, I have seldom experienced this after a cruise on a large cruise ship.

I have always felt that this sensation was related to my sinuses and the inner ear. As I get used to sailing, I imagine that the fluid in my inner ear starts to "slosh with the ship" making it more comfortable for me to sail. When I leave the ship I am still "sloshing" even though the ground is not.

Funny, I have never had this sensation and yet I suffer big time from ear problems as I have an average of 2 ear infections a year and 2 to 3 sinus infections, not to mention the number of times I actually feel fluid in my ears. I rarely get seasick and do not take any preventions for seasickness. With all the sinus and ear problems, I find a cruise and the salt air clears everything out and I feel better for a couple of weeks. A cruise is good for my health - do you think I can get my insurance company to pay for my cruises to keep me healthy?;)

LOL, I had to laugh when I saw this one. The first cruise I ever went on, I lost my equilibrium. Had no idea what was wrong with me, but I would walk directly into a wall. After much embarrasement, I went to the ship Doc and he said it is a form of sea sickness. Gave me a shot in the tush and sent me on my way. I was fine after that!

Getting on land is a rip. You finally get used to the ship's rolling, and then the land rolls! Now, for me (and this is wierd!) I don't feel it when I set foot on land, but the first time I set foot in a shower on land...that's when I feel it. Go figure!

Karen

This has been interesting... it seems many of you only experience this (or it worsens) around water... washing dishes, shower, etc. That would seem to indicate a "mental trigger" rather than a physical one? The motion wouldn't change standing at the sink or in the shower....

I get the feeling the most when I stand in the shower with my eyes closed. Almost can guarantee that feeling for at least a day after any significant time spent on the water. Was in yacht races a couple of weeks ago, and when I got home 3 hours later, and was taking a shower I about hit the wall when I was washing my hair. It is just your inner ear thinking it needs to work on keeping you upright.

jc

Archived