Independent trips in Caribbean

Cruise 4ever

We have picked up at a mini bes trip at St Kitts and wondered if this would be OK to do in Jamaica?

Have you had a look at trip advisor for mini bus excursions in Jamaica.

I haven't been to that island myself, but from what I have read you may need to be more careful on your own there, than on the other islands.

If it's Montego Bay you're going to, last time we went there was a shuttle bus from the port which is a little way out of town into Montego Bay. We had intended to get off, have a look around and then go to Doctor's Cave Beach which is in town. However we weren't particularly attracted by what we saw from the bus as we entered town so stayed on the bus until the stop for Dr's Cave Beach. The bus stops very close by. The beach is private and they have security - you pay an admission charge and then hire loungers etc. It is a really nice beach, feels safe and has good facilities and a restaurant. We've been twice and I'd make a bee-line for it should we go again. I think we negotiated for a taxi going back - there were drivers hanging about the entrance offering rides back to port.

If it's Ocho Rios where you're berthing, I can't help but we'll be going there in a few weeks so I'm hoping to research and find a private beach in the vicinity which will offer something similar. I'd be pleased to hear of any recommendations too. Depending on when you're going, I can report back on what we discover but you might go before us.

Edited by kruzseeka

I highly recommend Marvyn's Paradise Tours in Ocho Rios. We had a brilliant day with them and it was very good value. It is not a port where I would get off and jump in a taxi. I heard some people on our cruise were mugged by a taxi driver in this port. Either stick to ships yours or pre book with a reputable tour company.

I highly recommend Marvyn's Paradise Tours in Ocho Rios. We had a brilliant day with them and it was very good value. It is not a port where I would get off and jump in a taxi. I heard some people on our cruise were mugged by a taxi driver in this port. Either stick to ships yours or pre book with a reputable tour company.

Thanks for the advice. Duly noted.

We were in Ochos Rios on Christmas Eve and the four of us did a tour with Courtney Taylor Tours. We did one of their standard tours (tubing on the White River, beach, lunch at Scotchies, shopping stop) because we liked the sound of it. We had a brilliant time, one of the best days of our cruise and it was excellent value.

We went to a beach at Mammee Bay, a short drive from the port and near the Riu hotel. It was a private area with gated access, very safe, snack bar, toilets, etc.

The company is very flexible and will put together almost any kind of package for you. The whole communication and payment process was very easy and stress-free. Samantha in the office is great, just tell her what you would like and I'm sure she'll arrange it. If you do decide to go with them, ask for Karl-Lynton as your driver. He treated us like a mixture of royalty and family, funny, informative, friendly... great guy.

We were in Ochos Rios on Christmas Eve and the four of us did a tour with Courtney Taylor Tours. We did one of their standard tours (tubing on the White River, beach, lunch at Scotchies, shopping stop) because we liked the sound of it. We had a brilliant time, one of the best days of our cruise and it was excellent value.

We went to a beach at Mammee Bay, a short drive from the port and near the Riu hotel. It was a private area with gated access, very safe, snack bar, toilets, etc.

The company is very flexible and will put together almost any kind of package for you. The whole communication and payment process was very easy and stress-free. Samantha in the office is great, just tell her what you would like and I'm sure she'll arrange it. If you do decide to go with them, ask for Karl-Lynton as your driver. He treated us like a mixture of royalty and family, funny, informative, friendly... great guy.

Thanks - very helpful. :)

We have booked with Courtney Taylor for the 25th of this month; a group of 10 from this site so pleased to hear it was a successful day for you.

We have booked with Courtney Taylor for the 25th of this month; a group of 10 from this site so pleased to hear it was a successful day for you.

It was fantastic. I was a bit worried about the tubing because I'm not the most athletic of people, but I needn't have worried. The guys who operate it are fantastic and really look after you. The beach was very busy when we got there, but although we couldn't get loungers, Karl made sure we had seats and a table at the bar and had a word with the waitresses so they were happy for us to just have a drink or two and then stay there. I hope you will have as much fun as we did and a fantastic cruise.