Hawaii ports car rental pick-up locations

tieutho16

I will be going to Hawaii on POA in June. I would like to know which car rental locations are closest for each of the port below. Whether there are pick-up/drop-off shuttles or walking distance?

Kahului

Hilo

Nawiliwili

Thanks!

If you search this thread and for just rental you will mind lots of responses. Try this search. :)

http://boards.cruisecritic.com/search.php?searchid=82450327

I will be going to Hawaii on POA in June. I would like to know which car rental locations are closest for each of the port below. Whether there are pick-up/drop-off shuttles or walking distance?

Kahului

Hilo

Nawiliwili

Thanks!

I have rented at all 3 places with "Dollar" and each time a shuttle picked us up dockside.

Kahului

Hilo

Nawiliwili

Thanks!

We have done the POA cruise, renting in both Maui and Kauai where the airport locations are a 5 min shuttle ride away, not located inside the main terminal. We took a tour in Hilo, but I believe the location is close by at the airport.

From the dock areas just after you disembark, you will see designated areas for the various rental shuttles. As long as you have a reservation, you board, and 5 min later are dropped at the rental location. The shuttles run continuously. Make sure you board "your" companies shuttle only, as they they are spread out in different locations at the airports.

We booked our reservations through Discount Hawaii Car Rental website. No payment upfront, and you can cancel anytime, no penalty. By booking through the website, they usually off second driver free and sometimes a third. We used the website again for our POA coming up in March.

Edited by punkincc

Is there any advantage to hopping in a taxi rather than waiting for a shuttle? (besides the cost) I would imagine there are hundreds of people heading for the rental agencies off of POA and the lines are likely quite long if you are not fortunate enough to be one of the first to arrive.

We are renting a car to hit the RTH and drive all the way to Oheo Gulch so we can hike the falls. We want to get on the road as soon as possible.

Is there any advantage to hopping in a taxi rather than waiting for a shuttle? (besides the cost) I would imagine there are hundreds of people heading for the rental agencies off of POA and the lines are likely quite long if you are not fortunate enough to be one of the first to arrive.

We are renting a car to hit the RTH and drive all the way to Oheo Gulch so we can hike the falls. We want to get on the road as soon as possible.

We usually get off the ship early. Not sure what the experience would be if you waited until later, maybe around 10:00. Our experience in getting off early is that crowds were not bad at all. There was a handful of people on our Thrifty shuttle. Maybe 3 or 4 other couples. Make sure you sign up for the Loyalty plan for whatever company you use. That gets you in the fast track line. We were probably in our car within 30 min of getting on the shuttle if not less.

The problem with a taxi in my mind is where you would have to go to find one. I don't believe taxis are allowed inside the port gates. Car shuttles are. Very easy to access. Most people are leaving the port area via shuttle or tour. Taxis may not be lined up and waiting, at least in Maui and Kauai which are industrial ports. You might have to schedule one to meet you outside the port gates. In Kona, there are taxis where you tender in, but there is a car rental site inside the King Kam Hotel, a short walk away, so no need to go to the airport via taxi or shuttle. I would imagine there are taxis in Hilo, outside the port gates. But of course, why pay for a taxi when you can shuttle for free, IMO.