inside or OV on Sunshine

Vitamin_Sea

I would go with OV. I don't think there's any real difference in room steward service. I've had excellent service on deck 2 as well. Deck 7 is a nice central location, but I would still take the window and the significantly larger room, especially with such a small difference in price.

If you do move to an OV, I would avoid being below the galley. That would be on deck 2 from the midship elevators to the aft elevators. My ideal spot would be on deck 2, below the midship dining room, since it's carpeted & empty all night.

Edited by k2excursion

I know this wasn't one of the options you listed, but we had an inside on Deck 5 aft and LOVED this location. And these are the new rooms - actually had a cold refrigerator. And if you get one of the 4 on the "inside" hallway they are bigger.

Enjoy your cruise on the Sunshine. I know there are lots of mixed reviews but we had a wonderful time and can't wait to sail her again.

I know this wasn't one of the options you listed, but we had an inside on Deck 5 aft and LOVED this location. And these are the new rooms - actually had a cold refrigerator. And if you get one of the 4 on the "inside" hallway they are bigger.

Enjoy your cruise on the Sunshine. I know there are lots of mixed reviews but we had a wonderful time and can't wait to sail her again.

thanks

deck 4 and 5 were not available

We stayed in a inside cabin on Deck 7 on the Sunshine once before, and have another inside on 7 for the Journeys cruise in April. We like to book an inside cabin on deck 6 or 7 as far forward as we can to have close access to the forward deck that goes in front of the 4J cabins.

We stayed in a inside cabin on Deck 7 on the Sunshine once before, and have another inside on 7 for the Journeys cruise in April. We like to book an inside cabin on deck 6 or 7 as far forward as we can to have close access to the forward deck that goes in front of the 4J cabins.

we are across from the GS cabins.. mid ship

Last July, we had an aft OV cabin 5335 and we also really liked being in that location on the ship. It was so easy to get to the Lido deck and to dinner in the MDR on Deck 3. I also liked being so close to the Ocean Plaza and Red Frog Pub. It was very quiet and I felt minimal movement that week. I would keep checking to see if one of those insides or OVs open up!

We will be in an interior with obstructed view on the sunshine, category 4J. Deck 3, price of an inside but has a window! I've read great reviews, hoping we love it too! I've also read that these cabins are slightly larger and have a fridge because they are the newer ones added when the Destiny was changed to the Sunshine.

Ill address the stewards first. We have sailed 10 times on Carnival and have never had a group of stewards who were not friendly and not help you as much as they can. I do not think the deck you are on makes a difference on how you are treated.. At the end of the cruise we give our steward crew a nice tip. We have always had an OV, except for our last cruise. We were in an inside on the Panorama deck, deck 10. While being able to walk down one flight of stairs to the Lido deck and one flight up to the gym was so convienent we found the cabin small and missed the sunset and sunrise with the OV. The dark room has its advantage, it makes for good sleeping at night or an afternoon nap. Next cruise we will be heading back to the Riveria deck and the OV.

Edited by skrufy
word correction

We did an inside on our Sunshine cruise because we never planned on being in our room. I'm so glad our friend across the hall had a balcony because I felt like Harry Potter living in a broom closet. But then again, I will NEVER sail on the Sunshine again regardless of cabin.

Sounds like a case of balcony envy. Lol

Sent from my iPhone using Forums mobile app

Its certainly a good size. Not as cramped as the inside

Yes, and 3 big closets too.

I generally want the lowest cost to get on a ship and also don't spend a lot of time in the room. To me an oceanview was not enough of an upgrade to spend any extra. But I have to say, having that big picture window and natural light is nice and when I first opened the door to my OV on the Victory I thought I won cruise ship lottery in terms of spaciousness. To me $40 is a very inexpensive upgrade and I would go for it.

I don't think there is much to the idea that better stewards = higher floor, worse stewards = lower floor. I can't prove that, but they all have to do a certain number of rooms, have a set amount of time, have to hit certain targets and scores, etc. And everyone is human, so you have to account for that anyways, but the thought would never cross my mind that moving to a lower deck would result in a lesser level of service.

Now, I've been on ships were interiors and OV's were both small, and in that case, keep the $ in my pocket.

Yes, and 3 big closets too.

I generally want the lowest cost to get on a ship and also don't spend a lot of time in the room. To me an oceanview was not enough of an upgrade to spend any extra. But I have to say, having that big picture window and natural light is nice and when I first opened the door to my OV on the Victory I thought I won cruise ship lottery in terms of spaciousness. To me $40 is a very inexpensive upgrade and I would go for it.

I don't think there is much to the idea that better stewards = higher floor, worse stewards = lower floor. I can't prove that, but they all have to do a certain number of rooms, have a set amount of time, have to hit certain targets and scores, etc. And everyone is human, so you have to account for that anyways, but the thought would never cross my mind that moving to a lower deck would result in a lesser level of service.

Now, I've been on ships were interiors and OV's were both small, and in that case, keep the $ in my pocket.

Yea its worth the 40pp extra. Ive stayed in OV cabins on Splendor. I think they were 220ft as well.

I did score a port hole cabin on one of our splendor trips for an inside price.

Room was a good size with 2 PH`s. Worked out because I was cruising with my DD and needed separate beds.

Yes, the OV are like 220 compared the 185 inside.

You're correct that they are listed as being that size, but in reality, it's an even bigger difference. Most of the basic insides on Sunshine & larger ships are actually more like 150-160 sq.ft, if you measure with a tape measurer (which I have done & come up with 150 even). But the OVs are a true 220 sq.ft. I have had one OV on a larger ship and measured it, and it came out to exactly 220. So by my measurements, it's a difference of 70 sq.ft, meaning the OVs on Sunshine are almost 50% larger than insides. (I should note that Sunshine added new interior rooms on decks 3 & 5 when it was renovated, so those new insides could be a little larger.)