Class is back

skandls

Is Crown & Anchor and/or Diamond membership something that you have to sign up for and/or pay dues into? (This is only my 2nd RCCI cruise and I don't think I signed up the first time.) If you're paying into it either through C&A or simply paying twice+ as much for a balcony/suite than I'm paying for an inside room, I think you should get some kind of perks. Frankly I don't spend waking time in the room so the vast price difference doesn't seem worth it to me--but maybe other suite perks are worth it...not sure what they are, if any. I'm also fine with the concept of optionally paying more for the specialty restaurants as a "class" distinction. Though I would be miffed if we "low-class" inside cabins were relegated to the Windjammer and weren't allowed in the MDR, lol. But it does seem that they have these various room and dining options to allow you to have the "class" experiences that you want. I suppose the same holds true for optional excursions. The flexibility allows you to spend the money on the aspects of the vacation that's important to you--whether it's doing everything up top notch or not really caring so much how the "floating hotel" gets you to your ports--as long as it gets you there.

Sent from my iPhone using Forums mobile app

The main dining room on a cruise ship has suffered the same loss of class. It's more of a Chucky Cheese than a fine restaurant. It's sad to watch the decline of society. We live in a Walmart world where everything is cheap and children and young adults are feral.

I would be willing to bet that you have never stepped foot in a Chuck E Cheese because well...most people who have private jets would just have their feral children flown to Italy for their pizza party. :D

ps - I've never been in one either but I will guarantee the MDR is a quite different experience.

I, for one, do NOT live in a Walmart world.

I like my suite perks. I like my D+ perks. I've earned both in different ways. I may gripe about some changes but that's life. Evolve or die.

(and yes, I admit, I will be snickering at the passengers who paid so much to be so miserable).

Oh and for the record - we always stay on the highest deck - right under the pool. never been seasick either and mostly we just have gentle rocking. We pay a fair price for what we get and have never been miserable. But then, I've only cruised 16 years so I don't have enough experience apparently. And wow, I only snicker at mean passengers not sick ones.

Edited by wolfganghowell

You sign up for Crown and Anchor and work your way up the ranks. No dues. You can do it online or simply call. You'll be given a membership number you can connect to your current booking.

Some of us feel "the motion of the ocean" less than others so cabin location doesn't much matter. My stepson-in-law has to be low and centered. The rest of us can be anywhere. My personal preference is an aft cabin so I can be rocked to sleep at night

Edited by vickiw0318

Is Crown & Anchor and/or Diamond membership something that you have to sign up for and/or pay dues into?...

You can sign up now using Royal's website. Once you have your C&A number, contact Royal and have them put that number into your current booking. That way you will get your perks and credit for the cruise.

You sign up for Crown and Anchor and work your way up the ranks. No dues. You can do it online or simply call. You'll be given a membership number you can connect to your current booking.

Thanks so much for the tip! I enrolled and have a whole 8 points from my last cruise. Suddenly I understand the high of having perks now that my newly secured Gold (i.e., lowest) status gets me an invite to the Welcome Back party, priority check-in, and continental breakfast in the private departure lounge. Ooh la la! ;-)

Sent from my iPhone using Forums mobile app

Generally true, but not on a 757. First Class may board first, but Coach gets to leave at same time due to the exit behind First Class. ;)

Not on AA. The only coach passengers who deplane early when they use the middle door are the ones in the exit row, and only because they'd be tripping up the FC passengers. An FA blocks everybody else from deplaning until the FC cabin is empty (or nearly so, anyway; stragglers are on their own).:) or :mad:, depending on where I'm sitting.:p

I am saying this from experience. In my 40+ years of cruising, I have been on cruises with their fair share of motion.

Many times it is obvious from the number of people showing up for meals or the entertainment and the comments from fellow passengers about someone in their cabin feeling ill from the motion (motion that some of us didn't even notice).

So, tlatrice, come back and ask your snarky question when you have a great deal cruise experience.

How do you know that the seasick passengers are in expensive suites up high and forward? In my mere 20+ years of cruising, I've seen passengers from inside cabins get just as queasy.

It has nothing to do with "class", it has everything to do with $$$$.

We fly first class, another couple flies coach, we get some things they don't. But it has nothing to do with "class' it is because we paid for first class seats.

On a ship we have booked suites on some and balcony cabins on others. With the suites we got some extra things that we don't in our balcony cabins. Again, it has nothing to do with "class", and everything to do with $$$$.

We either choose to pay for the extra square feet that also has extra amenities, or we pay less, don't get the amenities and don't miss them at all.

More importantly we don't think we are in "steerage".

The ships are so big, how in the world could that relatively small area that the suite guest can go and us "Diamonds" can't, make a difference? It's just silly.

Every time this comes up I am amazed. It's like a little kid who thinks their brother or sister got a bigger piece of cake.

This. /\

It's not a class system, it's a free market. It's a cruiseship, not a commune.:rolleyes: You get what you pay for, and if you choose not to pay for it, why resent those that do?

A suite or special enclave cabin? I will never be in one and it is not about the cost.To me it is location, location, location.

Have you ever notice that the suites or special areas (ie., like the Haven on NCL, Yacht Club on MSC, etc) are located on the very top decks and either forward or aft? And that a premium is paid for those so-called "desirable" locations?

Not the location I want to be on any ship because of the ship's motion (stabilizers can only do so much for the roll of the ship, not the pitching).

To me, it makes perfect sense that the cruise line will try to make these areas enticing and offer special perks to get people to book them.

So I will very happily book a cabin that is as low down and in the middle of the ship as possible and enjoy all that the ships has to offer for entertainment and food while many are in their expansiveness cabins feeling ill at the slightness hint of motion (and yes, I admit, I will be snickering at the passengers who paid so much to be so miserable).

Many of us do not get seasick. Ever.;) I prefer to be as far forward, or as far aft as I can be, even when I'm not staying in a Suite. Midship is my last choice. And I prefer to be higher rather than lower. To each his own. It seems that my own is pretty much opposite of yours. But I assure you, there's no need to snicker at those of us in Suites such as my DH and me. We have never gotten seasick, even on small craft in rough waters. Some of us even enjoy some movement - it reminds us that we are on a ship on the Ocean, after all, as we are enjoying the expansiveness of our Suite.:cool:;):p

The class system I wrote about has to do with the move to private lounges and restaurants for suite guests. When the cruise lines broke from the old class system that included the private areas they attempted to provide a really great cruising experience to everyone on the ship. Now the main dining has devolved to so so food. I do realized the value for the dollar I get on a cruise as opposed to what the costs were in the 80's is much better. I am not happy to have been booted from the concierge (suite) lounge twice. On the Oasis class D+ are back to a revised version of the D lounge since the suites are in the new Suite lounge. When it was the concierge lounge the appies and services were better (IMHO).

"Class" is not defined by social status

For this thread, that is the class being discussed:

a : a group sharing the same economic or social status <the working class>

b : social rank; especially : high social rank

I think you are referring to class, ie, classy:

c : high quality : elegance <a hotel with class>

Having one of those attributes does not guarantee you have the other. So, one could have great wealth and not behave in a classy manner. Likewise, someone could be quite classy without having great economic wealth.

On cruises, I see that there are people from all walks of life in every cabin category. I've seen millionaires in a balcony cabin and I've known people barely able to pay for their suite. I think it all just comes down to what cabin someone decides to select for their vacation.

Since people get to select their own cabin, it isn't really a class system. It is simply a system where people will receive more perks for paying more money.

I usually (not always) book whatever I got a good deal on. I'm relatively easy to please so as long as I get what I paid for I'm happy. Got to say though that it amazes me when I run into the "I'm actually poor in real life but right now I'm on vacation and therefore on a mission to go broke" folks.

For this thread, that is the class being discussed:

a : a group sharing the same economic or social status <the working class>

b : social rank; especially : high social rank

I think you are referring to class, ie, classy:

c : high quality : elegance <a hotel with class>

Having one of those attributes does not guarantee you have the other. So, one could have great wealth and not behave in a classy manner. Likewise, someone could be quite classy without having great economic wealth.

On cruises, I see that there are people from all walks of life in every cabin category. I've seen millionaires in a balcony cabin and I've known people barely able to pay for their suite. I think it all just comes down to what cabin someone decides to select for their vacation.

Since people get to select their own cabin, it isn't really a class system. It is simply a system where people will receive more perks for paying more money.

Statements like these jump out at me and make me curious... Do you mind my asking, how do you know if people can afford their Suite, or if they are "poor in real life"? I'm not trying to argue, just genuinely curious, because I would have no idea of the financial situation of any of my fellow passengers, nor would they have any idea of mine.

Do people actually talk about this to you? Other than with my closest friends and family (and sometimes, not even then), incomes and the ability to afford cruises and accommodations would just not be discussed. It would seem inappropriate, awkward, tacky, rude, even, in some cases. I'm not passing judgment here, just wondering if I and others like me would be the exceptions, here. Is it typical to know what your fellow passengers can and can't afford?:confused: Are you maybe referring to close relations, amongst whom this kind of personal information is shared?

You are correct in saying that most of the time there is no way of knowing who can really afford what. I was referring to some folks I know in real life but I also had in mind a few people we've chatted up on various cruises who were very open about their occupations and general lifestyle when not cruising. My husband is a very friendly unassuming type guy so people who like to talk about themselves have "come to the right place" lol. Some folks will tell you their whole life story if you're a good listener.

You are correct in saying that most of the time there is no way of knowing who can really afford what. I was referring to some folks I know in real life but I also had in mind a few people we've chatted up on various cruises who were very open about their occupations and general lifestyle when not cruising. My husband is a very friendly unassuming type guy so people who like to talk about themselves have "come to the right place" lol. Some folks will tell you their whole life story if you're a good listener.

Oh, OK, thanks. That makes sense.:)

The class system I wrote about has to do with the move to private lounges and restaurants for suite guests. When the cruise lines broke from the old class system that included the private areas they attempted to provide a really great cruising experience to everyone on the ship. Now the main dining has devolved to so so food. I do realized the value for the dollar I get on a cruise as opposed to what the costs were in the 80's is much better. I am not happy to have been booted from the concierge (suite) lounge twice. On the Oasis class D+ are back to a revised version of the D lounge since the suites are in the new Suite lounge. When it was the concierge lounge the appies and services were better (IMHO).

IMO, part of the reason for so so food is cost cutting. It would be interesting to know what the cost per day for food was in the "olden days" compared to now. Another thing, and this comes from someone who works for a cruise line, it is harder to provide better meals to 3,000+. pax them 1,500- pax.

Not sure what the ratio of staff to pax is on the big ships but assuming it's not the same as it used to be. Fewer staff with more pax can make it hard to provide a really great cruising with attention to every detail.

Hate to open the contentious can of worms about suite lounge versus diamond lounge but, you pay more, you get more. Yes, over the years a D or D+ has possibly spent more money than a suite person has on one particular cruise. The suite perks are based on the here and now. A suite pax is expecting to get some perks that no one else gets because they have paid more, otherwise, why pay more?

Statements like these jump out at me and make me curious... Do you mind my asking, how do you know if people can afford their Suite, or if they are "poor in real life"? I'm not trying to argue, just genuinely curious, because I would have no idea of the financial situation of any of my fellow passengers, nor would they have any idea of mine.

Do people actually talk about this to you? Other than with my closest friends and family (and sometimes, not even then), incomes and the ability to afford cruises and accommodations would just not be discussed. It would seem inappropriate, awkward, tacky, rude, even, in some cases. I'm not passing judgment here, just wondering if I and others like me would be the exceptions, here. Is it typical to know what your fellow passengers can and can't afford?:confused: Are you maybe referring to close relations, amongst whom this kind of personal information is shared?

It sounds like a sincere question, so I will happily answer it.

Your intuition is correct, I was only referring to people I actually know. Our family ranges from the extremely affluent to someone that just seems to barely squeak by....and you could bump into any of them in any cabin (inside, balcony, or suite). The one with least is the one that would have to save up and barely be able to afford a suite, but would do so for a special occasion....and there are the more wealthy that could be found in any cabin. Actually, the most wealthy [in our family] seem to care the least about what they book. They are really just going to have a good time with friends or family and the cabin is not even a consideration. They will just be sure to get a cabin next to everyone else.

I've never asked about income or the ability to pay for anything from a fellow passenger or even friends. It would also be exceedingly rare for me to discuss something like that with family. However, with family, some things are self-evident and some things you are just aware of by the nature of being related to them.

I think you, like us, are the norm and don't discuss personal financial information with others.

I hope that helps to better explain my post.

It sounds like a sincere question, so I will happily answer it.

Your intuition is correct, I was only referring to people I actually know. Our family ranges from the extremely affluent to someone that just seems to barely squeak by....and you could bump into any of them in any cabin (inside, balcony, or suite). The one with least is the one that would have to save up and barely be able to afford a suite, but would do so for a special occasion....and there are the more wealthy that could be found in any cabin. Actually, the most wealthy [in our family] seem to care the least about what they book. They are really just going to have a good time with friends or family and the cabin is not even a consideration. They will just be sure to get a cabin next to everyone else.

I've never asked about income or the ability to pay for anything from a fellow passenger or even friends. It would also be exceedingly rare for me to discuss something like that with family. However, with family, some things are self-evident and some things you are just aware of by the nature of being related to them.

I think you, like us, are the norm and don't discuss personal financial information with others.

I hope that helps to better explain my post.

Yes, it was definitely a sincere question with no offense or judgment intended.:o And I really appreciate you taking the time to answer it as such. Thank you so much, your answer (as well as FiftySailsofGrace's) clarifies a lot. I do understand having an idea of what family members can afford, based on years of intimate knowledge. So it all makes sense, now.:) Thanks!

I think it all just comes down to what cabin someone decides to select for their vacation.

This says it all!

I definitely back up the statement that you can't judge someone's income or lifestyle based on their cruise choices. Years back, we were seated with 2 couples. During the conversation, we discovered that 3 of them went to the same high school as myself and grew up in the same neighborhood. I also found out exactly where they live now - the houses are ALL multi million dollar houses. They were staying in inside cabins, we were in a suite. And we don't live in a multi million dollar house. :D