New Mom needs to stay connected while on IOS

ABC91779

I am a new mom and my husband and I have decided that we need to take a short cruise. My only issue is I NEED to be able to stay connected at home. Since we have always "unplugged" when cruising I'm not sure what is the best way to stay connected. Can we make phone calls at sea? Incoming calls? I have an iPhone so if I was to get internet I could iMessage the grandparents at home. I'm sure someone out there has been in the same boat as me.... I just need to have a plan so that I can feel comfortable boarding the ship. THANKS!

There is a number that people back home can call the ship and contact you, it's on the RCL website, and I believe you can call home also, but it's pricey either way.

My wife and I are on the Allure in April. We are opting for the 1-device Internet service so we can use our e-mail to keep in touch, as my mother-in-law is up there in age and has a few health issues.

I am in same exact boat going on a three night cruise in a few weeks. I bought The Internet package. I have an iPhone I plan to turn on airplane mode and use the wifi to iMessage with my parents who are watching my daughter. Without id be too overly anxious and missing my daughter too much to have a good time

If you have an iPhone, then you just need to get the Internet package for one device. You should be able to make phone calls via wifi. I have a iPhone 6 and it can do that.

But as I've just read on replies, this may or may not be possible. Another thing is.....I have ATT. I found out recently that they just made a deal with a Mexican carrier. So if you call ATT before you go, then they can turn on the service for Mexico. I wouldn't pay extra (no international rates).

So, if anything then, I'll have iMessage/email, hoping wifi phone, and being able to call home during the middle of my trip next month.

Edited by cdm2000

If you have an iPhone, then you just need to get the Internet package for one device. You should be able to make phone calls via wifi. I have a iPhone 6 and it can do that.

This is my first cruise with this phone and doing Internet, so that is my plan. On land I've been able to do this when I didn't have cell service but did have wifi. [emoji41]. So, hope someone on here can confirm!

It will depend on what ship you are on. Quantum, Anthem, Oasis and Allure currently have VOOM internet which is very fast and will allow you to do pretty much anything through wifi.

The other ships are still currently using old, slow technology and you are pretty much limited to e mail and texting capabilities. No streamiming, voice calls etc.

Buy the internet package and use it for wifi daily contact- I find night evening contact makes for better sleep lol.

Like everyone we had to learn to leave our girls in the capable hands of their grand parents (initially for the day progressing to O/N breaks near-by, then further away for longer - It is easier to do it in small steps lol.)

It was hard for us as our eldest is diabetic so I was always very nervous and didn't ever leave her with a baby sitter so DH and I never went out. Thus our parents would travel to see us twice a year (450 miles and send us away for a break once a year - forced us the first time). The one thing my mum would always say is remember if anything did happen - getting hold of us was secondary anyway - an ambulance would be their first call. So no need to keep check your phone.

Now its the other way round she is 23 yrs and was away with her boyfriend for valentines weekend - I still was worried sick and spent last night checking my mobile as she didn't text to say she was home form the long drive back Also they were out surfing and I had no way of knowing they had even made it back to shore (both are diabetic so surfing on their own worries me especially in Scotland at temps of about zero centigrade).

So to recap what I was trying to say was may be you should have a practice night away nearby.

Edited by fragilek

I am a new mom and my husband and I have decided that we need to take a short cruise. My only issue is I NEED to be able to stay connected at home. Since we have always "unplugged" when cruising I'm not sure what is the best way to stay connected. Can we make phone calls at sea? Incoming calls? I have an iPhone so if I was to get internet I could iMessage the grandparents at home. I'm sure someone out there has been in the same boat as me.... I just need to have a plan so that I can feel comfortable boarding the ship. THANKS!

The ship has a cell tower that works at sea. Check with your cell provider about voice calls while at sea. AT&T charges $2.49 per minute. Same price, incoming and outgoing.

We leave our 4 and 6 years kids with my parents for nearly 2 weeks, incl 5 nights on Indy. So we too need to be in daily contact with them.

Others have told me that apps like whatsapp should be working for making calls trough the ships Wifi.. And then we will use Skype from the ports.

On Navigator in December, one device internet package,with iPhone 6.

Turned it to airplane mode and turned off cellular data.

We were able to send and receive text messages with no charges from Verizon.

There is an iPhone app that uses the ship's internet connection on the to actually place telephone calls to anywhere: "GV Phone".

Thanks for all the input. We have ATT. We are going to Labadee and Jamaica and have 2 sea days. Can't wait to have a full nights sleep and I'm thinking I'll get the Internet packages. Does anyone know if any places at the Falmouth port offer wifi you could FaceTime/Skype with?

ATT has what they call Cellular at Sea. I think the cost are $30 for voice only, $60 for voice and text, $90 for voice, text and data. I've used it 2 times and it works great. The voice and text doesn't include texting pictures as that takes data.

Call ATT and inquire about, that price is for a month. It is by the month only.

ATT has what they call Cellular at Sea. I think the cost are $30 for voice only, $60 for voice and text, $90 for voice, text and data. I've used it 2 times and it works great. The voice and text doesn't include texting pictures as that takes data.

It's important to look at the data limit on this plan, because going over the limit can get expensive very quickly.

I'm sorry - I don't know where your ship docks. But, if you stop in Mexico and have AT&T, you should add on the newish free Mexico service. Can't remember all the details, but believe you can make phone calls and get 1G of data for no additional charges. I otherwise assume, for such a short trip, that you will not be stopping at one of the US controlled islands - I personally keep forgetting that cell service would/should be included there!

Otherwise, calls from the ship are expensive and I would just use the wifi purchased on board.

Edited by Alter Ego

Texasopa - am I correct that this plan only works in port and not at sea. I feel like this is what my mom had on our big family cruise as grandma is 89 and not in good health so she wanted to be able to call and check in. And I also think it has very limited minutes and texts? If not this is a new offering my dad needs to look into before our next trip in 5 weeks.

Thanks for all the input. We have ATT. We are going to Labadee and Jamaica and have 2 sea days. Can't wait to have a full nights sleep and I'm thinking I'll get the Internet packages. Does anyone know if any places at the Falmouth port offer wifi you could FaceTime/Skype with?

We used wifi at Margaritaville right in the port area in Falmouth.

Texasopa - am I correct that this plan only works in port and not at sea. I feel like this is what my mom had on our big family cruise as grandma is 89 and not in good health so she wanted to be able to call and check in. And I also think it has very limited minutes and texts? If not this is a new offering my dad needs to look into before our next trip in 5 weeks.

No, It works on the ship while at sea and in most Caribbean ports. It took me a while but I found all the info.

I never used the data plan, just the voice and text.

https://www.att.com/shop/en/wireless/international/roaming.html?tab=4

Edited by Texasopa

No, It works on the ship while at sea and in most Caribbean ports. It took me a while but I found all the info.

I just added this for my cruise In March. I called att and confirmed it works on ship and in port.

I am not doing any data, just phone and text.

I won't carry my phone always, since we love to be unplugged on a cruise, but with several health issues with loved ones at home, make me want to be able to check messages a couple times a day.

We have used the AT&T cruise package every time we cruise...domestic and international...worked well for us...in addition to the C&A internet we get onboard to check emails. We have no problems staying in touch.