Completely new to Princess

Joshuasgurl0409

Each cabin' date=' no matter the category, has a mini-fridge. If you need to do laundry and don't want to pay for the ship's laundry service, there is a self-service laundry room on several decks on each ship (it's a must for us as we're doing longer cruises or we pair a cruise with a land trip...and I don't want to risk high heat drying with my clothes).

Depending on the cruise director, you won't be hearing tons of PAs about bingo and art auctions. And on most of the Princess ships, there's not the stupid (IMO) pool games.

Hubby and I prefer traditional dining, but both t.d. and anytime dining have the same menus and dress code.

The Horizon Court (the buffet) is open from early morning to around 11pm or midnight (I understand that's not the case on all lines). The International Cafe (not an enclosed eatery but a set of display shelves, usually in the Piazza, Plaza deck midships) is a great place for a light meal or yummy snack or dessert. It's open 24/7 and you just go up to the counter and have the worker plate your item. You can eat there in the Piazza or take your food back to your cabin, the pool deck, a lounge, wherever. You can buy a specialty coffee there too. Other than gelato (which isn't available on some ships), there's no cost for food items. I love the chocolate chip cookies.:)

You can find out about all the food venues on your ship on the Princess website as well as deck plans.

My first six cruises were on Carnival, but then we got a chance to take a Princess cruise...and it's been all Princess since then.[/quote']

This is all great info. Thank you!

You'll enjoy being able to go directly to your cabin as soon as you board the ship. :)

THIS!! We live in South Florida after recently moving from the Atlanta area due to my husbands new job. Driving a few minutes from our house to the port will be very surreal this time! Not having to deal with the extra hassle of flying is an added perk we are very excited about :)

We plan on getting to the port pretty early, but are the cabins usually ready earlier on Princess? If so, thats a plus one in my book!:)

Thanks for starting this thread. I booked my first Princess cruise for July - my sister and I are cruising out of Southampton to Scandinavia. Our last cruise was NCL and we didn't like it at all. Glad to hear that Princess is similar to Celebrity - more to our liking. Also our first European cruise so I'm starting to research.

Happy to! I'm trying to do all the research I can in the short time frame we have before we sail! ;)

We love the International Cafe and Piazza area. Great sandwiches for lunch (no charge) and donuts and pastries in the morning (no charge). We always buy a coffee card and you get 15 punches for specialty coffees and unlimited fresh brewed coffee in the International Cafe. Also love the MUTS (Movies Under the Stars) where they cover the lounge chairs and provide blankets for the movie. Usually a waitstaff crew walking around giving out fresh baked chocolate chip cookies. Also complimentary popcorn. The promenade deck will have nice chairs for sitting in the quiet. Princess is much more laid back than RCCL and NCL. If you enjoy relaxing and peace and quiet, you will love Princess. We sure do!

We are really looking forward to some much needed R & R this trip, so it's nice to hear the Princess is laid back. We thoroughly have enjoyed cruising with RCCL, but our last NCL cruise on the Epic left MUCH to be desired! Really excited now! Thanks for the info:)

I am not new to cruising as hubby and I have completed 10 cruises.. all on RCCL, Norwegian and yes, even Carnival. :o

What can you tell me about Princess? What are your favorite things about it over other cruise lines? we are anxiously awaiting our trip on the Regal Princess in a few days!! We booked this cruise just a few weeks ago,,this is the shortest countdown we have ever had, and for that, I'm thankful! :D

You picked the right ship, don't miss Alfredo's.

It will be our 1st cruise with Princess and this thread has provided some great information. We've cruised with Ocean Village, RCCL and mainly P+O. We were on P+O Britannia last year and this year we are on the Royal Princess. It sounds like Princess is fairly similar to P+O. Shame the Royal does not have a Crows Nest to watch the sun go down in the evening. But the outdoor cinema sounds great.

The rooms were not ready until after 1 when we did our Regal cruise on Dec 27.

IF I had my way, DH and I would've eaten at Alfredos for lunch, THEN we would've only had to go up a few floors and went to our room.

ALL the other Princess ships we have been on our room was ready when we boarded. SO... as someone noted... it's a Royal class thing.....

This thread is just what I needed to see today! :) We have only sailed Royal, and are Emerald. But, we really want to start looking at a 10-12 night British Isles cruise, and I could only find what we really like, itinerary-wise at Princess. I know there will be many differences to figure out, but I have time. I think we are looking at 2019 - so I can't even book yet!! :o

And, after that, Alaska. And everyone tells me I HAVE to sail Princess for Alaska.

So, thank you, those of you who have chimed in about coming over to Princess ships - I feel good about our decision!

Really love princess!

Highly recommend soda & more package. Includes mocktails and hot chocolate from IC.

Recent food on Crown best I have had on any ship. Love combination of entertainment and info/ discovery activities.

Oh an the best is being able to get in your cabin as soon as you board!

Agreed! And yes.. those peanut butter cookies.. mmmmmm... So want those right now... The International cafe is a place DH and I grab those treats and a table by the window and play cribbage..

On other cruise lines, we have always arrived about 11 and often we have gotten right on the ship. I am getting the sense from this thread that Princess holds to a Noon boarding time? Makes sense, just wondering.... thanks.

We were wondering the same thing. We technically feel that the earlier you can get in line to board, the sooner vacation starts. I think the earliest we have ever gotten to port was around 10:30. This time, we will only have to drive a short 30 minutes to the port from our house, so not sure what time is best to be in line for the Regal.

We were wondering the same thing. We technically feel that the earlier you can get in line to board, the sooner vacation starts. I think the earliest we have ever gotten to port was around 10:30. This time, we will only have to drive a short 30 minutes to the port from our house, so not sure what time is best to be in line for the Regal.

We always try and arrive around 10:30. :D

We were on the Regal the first part of this month. We arrived at the port just before 11 AM. Already there was a huge line that went the full length of the terminal and then doubled back waiting for the doors to open. Luckily though they were allowing those who had expedited boarding passes into the terminal. We were in the terminal, through security, had our sea passes and were on the way to the special lounge when they opened the door for the non-privileged group to enter the terminal. We had a short wait before being allowed to get on the ship and were standing on the ship just after noon.

The rooms were not ready until 1 PM. They would only take pax to the lido deck. Ship personnel were controlling all the elevators and they were "guarding" the stairs not allowing anyone to use them. Shortly before 1 PM we were able to take out things to the cabin and proceed down to the Fiesta deck to get lunch in the MDR which closed at 1:30.