Snorkeling without life jackets

scarletlaurel

Question for anyone that's been on any of the Royal Caribbean snorkel excursions in Cozumel...

Do any of the snorkel trips allow you to snorkel WITHOUT life jackets?

(I've been snorkeling many times, and grew up swimming practically before I learned to walk, and I like to be able to dive down for a closer look at times, so I'm extremely comfortable in the water and prefer no life jackets...)

Any recommendations for the best RCI snorkeling excursion? (I also have a slight preference for boat based, but beach-based snorkeling is fine, too, if it's good.)

Appreciate any advice anyone wants to share or any experiences they've had! Sailing soon, so I'm getting worked up about it!

Question for anyone that's been on any of the Royal Caribbean snorkel excursions in Cozumel...

Do any of the snorkel trips allow you to snorkel WITHOUT life jackets?

(I've been snorkeling many times, and grew up swimming practically before I learned to walk, and I like to be able to dive down for a closer look at times, so I'm extremely comfortable in the water and prefer no life jackets...)

Any recommendations for the best RCI snorkeling excursion? (I also have a slight preference for boat based, but beach-based snorkeling is fine, too, if it's good.)

Appreciate any advice anyone wants to share or any experiences they've had! Sailing soon, so I'm getting worked up about it!

Cruise line excursions will make you wear life jackets. The tour operators have to have insurance and the insurers will require it. Private boat operators, they likely will require them too.

Really now, if you have been snorkeling many times you should know what to do. It's very simple. Don't blow any air into the vest....

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

Agree with both posts, but I caution you that the swells can be large. I am a good swimmer but decided I wanted to float more and blew air in the vest. The Palancar reef is deep so diving down will be difficult. It was for me anyway. You can put any amount of air you want based on weather and your swimming abilities. Go for it!!

Agree with both posts, but I caution you that the swells can be large. I am a good swimmer but decided I wanted to float more and blew air in the vest. The Palancar reef is deep so diving down will be difficult. It was for me anyway. You can put any amount of air you want based on weather and your swimming abilities. Go for it!!

Yes. Palancar is very deep. Could see scuba divers way down. Way farther than I could free dive. Palancar is mostly surface snorkeling but you see a lot from the surface. There were swells.

In any case you can blow air in and let it out as desired while snorkeling. I dive down quite a lot. Another reason to wear the vest is so you are visible. On the better excursions they keep watch and keep count. And I don't care how good a swimmer anyone is, I am a good swimmer, I would not to Palancar or any snorkel off a boat without a snorkel buddy.

For beach snorkeling there is Chankanaab Park. I was there in December. Not required to wear a snorkel vest there. Unfortunately not as good snorkeling as it was before Hurricane Wilma.

Edited by Charles4515
  • Like 1

I also have a slight preference for boat based, but beach-based snorkeling is fine, too

In addition to Chankanaab there is great snorkeling from the shore available at The Money Bar. About a $10 cab ride from the port areas, rental gear and guides available if you need them, great facilities plus good food, drinks & service.

Life jackets are always included, right? One less thing for me to have to bring...

Been on a lot of snorkel excursions and the snorkel equipment including vests were always included, it was always stated in the excursion description, so on any excursion read the description. Myself I always bring my own snorkel, mask and vest, for sanitary reasons and because I have a prescription lens mask. I am somewhat germ phobic. I do use the fins that the tour operators provide since fins take up space. The mask, snorkel and vest don't take up much luggage space.

• Like 1

Thanks everyone, for the replies and the advice.

Last time I went snorkeling down in Mexico (was staying in Cancun), they made us all wear full-sized lifevests, which I didn't like very much. Sounds like most of the ones down in Cozumel use inflatable lifevests, which won't be too bad if I can choose to not inflate it.

Looks like I'll pick one of the boat-based snorkel trips.

Thanks again!

Thanks everyone, for the replies and the advice.

Last time I went snorkeling down in Mexico (was staying in Cancun), they made us all wear full-sized lifevests, which I didn't like very much. Sounds like most of the ones down in Cozumel use inflatable lifevests, which won't be too bad if I can choose to not inflate it.

Looks like I'll pick one of the boat-based snorkel trips.

Thanks again!

That would be the pits to have to wear regular life jackets while snorkeling instead of snorkel vests. Never encountered that and I hope I never do!