Princess or Holland America for July cruise?

hamilkm

We are taking my dad on his dream cruise to Alaska this July. Right now we have a courtesy hold on the Crown Princess leaving out of Seattle on July 30th. With mine and my dad's work schedules this is the date that works best for us! I know we want to go to Glacier Bay since it's our first cruise. Also, my mom really wants to do a round trip cruise (and after pricing flights, it is going to be much cheaper for us). My question is that I found a Holland America cruise with the same itinerary leaving out of Vancouver. It actually gives slightly longer in ports (omitting the 4 hour stop in Victoria, BC). I read on here that the water is calmer and there is more to see leaving from Vancouver. The date would be the same and the price comparable. I can also get flights for the same price into Vancouver as I can into Seattle. Our past cruises have only been on Carnival and only to the Caribbean.

I was just looking for some opinions from those of you who have done these cruises before. My mom has her heart set on Princess because one of my best friends worked for them for a year and said they were the best. I just want to go on whichever one will give us the best Alaskan experience. Also, I am very prone to sea sickness and that is a worry for me! Thanks!

Have you check flights to Vancouver? I thought they were generally higher than to Seattle.

Do you have passports?? If not, are you planning to get them? They would be required for flights to Vancouver. While I would recommend you get them for a trip from Seattle, they are not required.

Have you check flights to Vancouver? I thought they were generally higher than to Seattle.

Do you have passports?? If not, are you planning to get them? They would be required for flights to Vancouver. While I would recommend you get them for a trip from Seattle, they are not required.

We have passports so no problem there. Also I have prices round trip flights from Nashville to Vancouver for $430. Round trip flights to Seattle run $400 from here as well. The flight back is on the red eye but that's okay with us as it gives us a day to tour Vancouver before flying out.

We were on the HAL Noordam last August on a roundtrip from Vancouver and had a great time.

The Noordam is a beautiful ship, had lots of interesting activities, good food, good entertainment and, of course, took you to some wonderful ports (Juneau, Skagway, Ketchikan) as well as Glacier Bay.

Also, Vancouver is a very interesting city and well worth the time to explore. We took a hop-on, hop-off bus.

We were on the HAL Noordam last August on a roundtrip from Vancouver and had a great time.

The Noordam is a beautiful ship, had lots of interesting activities, good food, good entertainment and, of course, took you to some wonderful ports (Juneau, Skagway, Ketchikan) as well as Glacier Bay.

Also, Vancouver is a very interesting city and well worth the time to explore. We took a hop-on, hop-off bus.

Thanks for the information! The way our flights would work we would have 2 full days after the cruise to explore Vancouver. I am really leaning toward this cruise but ultimately it will be my mom's decision. We have been to Seattle before but never Vancouver.

I'm sure you will get lots of replies, but one thing I hear over and over on this board and happen to also agree with myself is Alaskan cruises are about Alaska NOT the cruise as much. The cruise makes a wonderful background and an extremely nice way to get to the differing spots in Alaska to see.;) I would go with the longer port times to make the most of Alaska. I will be going on a north bound myself this summer out of Vancouver and am looking forward to being in this wonderful city.

In the final evaluation, you look at the pros and cons for you and your family and go with the one with what is best for you. Good Luck. I know that ya'll will have a wonderful time whatever you choose. It's ALASKA!!

Thoughts...

• aren't passports are also required if you plan to visit Fraser on the White Pass Railway (summit return... not)?
  • $50 shuttle from SeaTac to downtown Vancouver or cruise terminal.
  • Vancouver is an excellent bonus port. It's bigger than all the Alaskan ports combined. Some need 3 or more days to fully enjoy what it has to offer.
  • doesn't the sheltered waters of the BC inside passage only make a difference for the first day out of Seattle? North of Port Hardy.... makes no difference between Seattle/Vancouver sailings.

Edited by xlxo

Thanks for the information! The way our flights would work we would have 2 full days after the cruise to explore Vancouver. I am really leaning toward this cruise but ultimately it will be my mom's decision. We have been to Seattle before but never Vancouver.
Some need a few weeks post cruise....

[YOUTUBE]ZLL6du--lQA[/YOUTUBE] [YOUTUBE]vIvtsz1b60Q[/YOUTUBE] [YOUTUBE]EvH_ROLyUZQ[/YOUTUBE] [YOUTUBE]Gcyt8Xdvsgs[/YOUTUBE]

Another southern girl here... I am surprised that the cost of flying to YVR is not that much more than Seattle! I do know that the cost to fly to Seattle has gone up. Used to be able to get some cheap flights!

Anyhow, I would go by itinerary and your parents tastes much more than I would by the recommendation of one friend. So, the itinerary on HAL gives a plus-1 in that regard. Look at the port times, and whether they work well with the excursions that your parents might like to do.

Princess is known to do Alaska very well, but I would imagine that HAL would have the same programs and narration at Glacier Bay?

The look and vibe on the two lines are different. Look at traveler photos and videos of the two ships that you are considering. I am thinking that perhaps, with your parents age, they might like the HAL look and vibe? Again, it is about Alaska and not the ship... But just throwing this out there.

I have been on the sister ship of the CROWN. Sailed the Ruby when it was still 'new'. Beautiful ship... Loved the ship, and the Adagio and Sabatinis on the upper aft deck, the nice Piazza. Did not appreciate the VERY tight main dining rooms. (Glad to see that the MDR on the Coral, that we have booked, appears to be better.)

Also, you might want to find out when the CROWN might get the new Princess beds. The older mattresses have a very bad feedback.

Edited by Wishing on a star

We are taking my dad on his dream cruise to Alaska this July. Right now we have a courtesy hold on the Crown Princess leaving out of Seattle on July 30th. With mine and my dad's work schedules this is the date that works best for us! I know we want to go to Glacier Bay since it's our first cruise. Also, my mom really wants to do a round trip cruise (and after pricing flights, it is going to be much cheaper for us). My question is that I found a Holland America cruise with the same itinerary leaving out of Vancouver. It actually gives slightly longer in ports (omitting the 4 hour stop in Victoria, BC). I read on here that the water is calmer and there is more to see leaving from Vancouver. The date would be the same and the price comparable. I can also get flights for the same price into Vancouver as I can into Seattle. Our past cruises have only been on Carnival and only to the Caribbean.

I was just looking for some opinions from those of you who have done these cruises before. My mom has her heart set on Princess because one of my best friends worked for them for a year and said they were the best. I just want to go on whichever one will give us the best Alaskan experience. Also, I am very prone to sea sickness and that is a worry for me! Thanks!

These itineraries are not the "same", or nearly, they are very different. Your claim of motion sickness- frankly needs precautions in place, not the "hope" you won't run into rough sailing. However, with choosing Seattle, you have picked the roughest sailing potential. Out os Vancouver instead of 2 open sea days, which is what you get with round trip Seattle, you get 2 scenic sailing days out of Vancouver.

But- if what you are looking at with HAL with Tracy Arm, this is a significant bonus- that "requires" you purchase the add on tour. Frankly- for me- necessary for my priorities. So this ups the cruise rates.

I always suggest- looking way past the "cruise" in Alaska choices, before you jump into bookings. Make sure you do a good amount of thinking about what your port activities are going to be and what is available. Make sure you have enough time for your priority touring. In my opinion, this is never the place to skimp. :)

Look at each port and decide what you want to occupy your time with. :)

These itineraries are not the "same", or nearly, they are very different. Your claim of motion sickness- frankly needs precautions in place, not the "hope" you won't run into rough sailing. However, with choosing Seattle, you have picked the roughest sailing potential. Out os Vancouver instead of 2 open sea days, which is what you get with round trip Seattle, you get 2 scenic sailing days out of Vancouver.

But- if what you are looking at with HAL with Tracy Arm, this is a significant bonus- that "requires" you purchase the add on tour. Frankly- for me- necessary for my priorities. So this ups the cruise rates.

I always suggest- looking way past the "cruise" in Alaska choices, before you jump into bookings. Make sure you do a good amount of thinking about what your port activities are going to be and what is available. Make sure you have enough time for your priority touring. In my opinion, this is never the place to skimp. :)

Look at each port and decide what you want to occupy your time with. :)

The HAL cruise I am looking at leaving from Vancouver goes to Glaceier Bay not Tracy Arm. It also goes to the same 3 Alaska ports as the Princess cruise out of Seattle. The main difference is the scenic cruising out of Vancouver. This cruise is my choice, but my mom is determined to take the Princess out of Seattle. I guess I will spend those rough sea days in bed like I had to on my last couple of cruises! This is all for my dad, so I will do whatever I have to do!

We have been looking at excursions and will have time to do what we would like to do on either cruise.

Another southern girl here... I am surprised that the cost of flying to YVR is not that much more than Seattle! I do know that the cost to fly to Seattle has gone up. Used to be able to get some cheap flights!

Anyhow, I would go by itinerary and your parents tastes much more than I would by the recommendation of one friend. So, the itinerary on HAL gives a plus-1 in that regard. Look at the port times, and whether they work well with the excursions that your parents might like to do.

Princess is known to do Alaska very well, but I would imagine that HAL would have the same programs and narration at Glacier Bay?

The look and vibe on the two lines are different. Look at traveler photos and videos of the two ships that you are considering. I am thinking that perhaps, with your parents age, they might like the HAL look and vibe? Again, it is about Alaska and not the ship... But just throwing this out there.

I have been on the sister ship of the CROWN. Sailed the Ruby when it was still 'new'. Beautiful ship... Loved the ship, and the Adagio and Sabatinis on the upper aft deck, the nice Piazza. Did not appreciate the VERY tight main dining rooms. (Glad to see that the MDR on the Coral, that we have booked, appears to be better.)

Also, you might want to find out when the CROWN might get the new Princess beds. The older mattresses have a very bad feedback.

My best friend from high school was a performer on the Ruby for a year! He sang its praises so much to my mom there is no convincing her to go any other way I am afraid. My parents actually act very young for their age, and I'm afraid would not enjoy the more formal atmosphere on HAL. They are pretty casual and laid back. I am the one who thinks the HAL cruise sounds like more fun!

The reason we do not sail on Holland America is that they allow smoking on the balconies --nothing I want to chance when paying so much for a cruise.

Well this helps my decision. I have pretty bad asthma and am very allergic to smoke. This would really bother me.

Just for fun have you priced the airfare with a Princess one way cruise from Vancouver to Whittier? You would fly into Vancouver and home from Anchorage. You could then have Princess for your Mom, Glacier Bay with a bonus of College Fjord and more time up in Alaska.

I tried but they are all booked for the 2 week or so span my dad can go on vacation. We may have waited a little late to book. My parents don't want to put it off til next year though because my grandparents health is starting to decline and they may not want to be that far from home by that time.

If your Mom is like many women, and has her heart set on the Crown, sister ship to the Ruby... Your question here might be moot?

We are booked on a Southbound. This would be on the Coral, which is NOT like the Ruby. It just came out of dry-dock and has had new carpeting thru public areas, and the new beds. (yey!)

There is availability on the sailing on July 30. Fares seem high? Anyhow, for example, the CROWN (R/T Seattle) is showing $1469.00 for Ocean view (aft or mid-forward). The Coral is showing $1594.00 for a similar Ocean View, (mid ship due to fear of any motion-sickness) but this one qualifies for free complimentary gratuities covered.

Your mother might be enamored with a round trip Seattle. But, just in case she begins to think out of the box, this would be a good option. You all would get to experience Alaska, all the way as far North as Anchorage.

Edited by Wishing on a star

Well quick update. My mom and dad sat down and talked and they have changed their mind. They have now decided to go on the HAL cruise out of Vancouver. I think it was the scenic cruising days that won them over. My dad thinks he will get to see a little more. I am excited to get to explore Vancouver for a few days as well!

Well quick update. My mom and dad sat down and talked and they have changed their mind. They have now decided to go on the HAL cruise out of Vancouver. I think it was the scenic cruising days that won them over. My dad thinks he will get to see a little more. I am excited to get to explore Vancouver for a few days as well!

With your father and the "see more", consider the Tracy Arm itineraries too. :)

With your father and the "see more", consider the Tracy Arm itineraries too. :)

Now that I am booked on my cruise it gives me the option to add on the tracy arm inlet on our first day. I didn't realize this cruise would let me do that. Now I am very excited!