High speed train: Paris to Barcelona

gatorphin

Bought it before we went to station.

If I were you, I would buy wine in London

& get sandwiches when you change trains in Paris.

You will not regret taking this trip.

Ron

FYI there is a café/ bar on all TGV trains - much easier than bringing your own supplies and all part of the experience:)

Just thought I'd update this thread for anyone looking to book this train, as I just reserved our tickets today.

As mentioned, usually tickets are bookable 120 days in advance (which for us would be the 16th of this month); however I set up an email alert with the SNCF site and receive a message today that my date was bookable!

Managed to snag 1st class tickets on my preferred train time, 6:10 am (OK, only preferred so I can have some time in Paris - I doubt I'll be awake when we board :rolleyes:) for 89 euros. For comparison's sake, 2nd class on this train was 59 euros, and the later train, 9:25, had tickets for 49 euros (2nd class) and 99 euros (1st class). These are not the most restrictive ticket class, but rather changeable for a fee (25% of the price up to 7 days before, 50% after that).

The booking process was easy. I initially selected my country as Spain during the initial search, to make sure the site didn't kick me over to the Rail Europe site. Then at the booking stage entered all my address and payment info accurately and had no issues at all. Have seat assignments as well.

Now just have to wait for the actual trip - under about 10 tons of snow... *sigh*

Thank-you for this info, I will be doing this later in the year.

Good luck with the snow.

Just bought my tickets on loco2dotcom today for July 28th trip. About $70 per person 2nd class. I've got too much luggage to lug up to 1st class. Tickets printed. Can't wait!

What about luggage? We will have two bags each, is that a problem for first class?

What about luggage? We will have two bags each, is that a problem for first class?

No, we plan to have 1 large suitcase and 1 carryon each. For the duplex train there is an upper and lower section (in both 1st and 2nd class). If you opt for upper you'll need to take your luggage up about 7 steps I think. We opted for upper because I thought my son (age 9) would get a kick out of it.

Good Luck!

No, we plan to have 1 large suitcase and 1 carryon each. For the duplex train there is an upper and lower section (in both 1st and 2nd class). If you opt for upper you'll need to take your luggage up about 7 steps I think. We opted for upper because I thought my son (age 9) would get a kick out of it.

Good Luck!

OK, thank-you, good to know there is a lower section.

Question please: There will be a group of 4 senior ladies (65-74) taking the train from Paris to Barcelona for a cruise in October. I think we definitely need to stay downstairs but is there a big difference for us between 1st and 2nd class? We are not tall. Is it worth an addition 30-40 euros each? Thanks for any info.

Question please: There will be a group of 4 senior ladies (65-74) taking the train from Paris to Barcelona for a cruise in October. I think we definitely need to stay downstairs but is there a big difference for us between 1st and 2nd class? We are not tall. Is it worth an addition 30-40 euros each? Thanks for any info.

Hopefully someone else know. If not I can report back after our trip in July. I got a lot of helpful info from here. http://www.seat61.com/Paris-to-Barcelona-by-TGV-train.htm#.VuN0a_A8KK0

From what I've read not much difference between 1st and 2nd class. My husband is super tall so I thought the legroom would serve us well. Hope this is helpful.

No, not such a big difference. We usually travel second unless we get the tickets the day they're available, in which case we get first. But it's not a deal breaker. Since there are four of you, you may want to reserve the four seats facing each other with a table in the middle.

• 2 weeks later...

Hi there-WOW!! where are you guys finding these great fares? I just looked to travel on 6/24/16 from Paris to Barcelona and tix were 169 euro each for a direct train one way.

Sent from my iPad using Forums mobile app

They go on sale 120 days forward; that is when the best prices are. I've seen them as low as 49. Same concept as air tickets when some percentage is available on lowest price then same seat is sold for more and keep going up. UBER surge pricing model in action.

Edited by hkto

Hi there-WOW!! where are you guys finding these great fares? I just looked to travel on 6/24/16 from Paris to Barcelona and tix were 169 euro each for a direct train one way.

Where are you looking? I booked in early March (when fares were released for my date). We are traveling July 1st from Paris to Barcelona. I paid $97 dollars per adult and $58 per child for 1st class tickets. I paid in Euros but can't recall the price before I converted it since I am using US Dollars in my planning spreadsheet.

I booked via http://www.captaintrain.com

You can also book through https://loco2.com/ but you will pay in pounds rather than Euros

However, I did a quick check of your dates and I too am seeing the 169E price. It could be that the trains are filling up for your date and that prices are increasing. I know here Amtrak does that. The initial prices are usually cheaper and prices tend to creep up as the train fills.

Always go directly to the source - in this case, the SNCF - TGV website: http://tgv.en.voyages-sncf.com/en/

When asked for your country, put the one where you will start your journey - don't put USA or it will try to redirect you to the Rail Europe site, where prices are usually higher.

Actually, I just ran a search for your date - wow are prices high that day! Do you have any flexibility date-wise?

Always go directly to the source - in this case, the SNCF - TGV website: http://tgv.en.voyages-sncf.com/en/

When asked for your country, put the one where you will start your journey - don't put USA or it will try to redirect you to the Rail Europe site, where prices are usually higher.

Actually, I just ran a search for your date - wow are prices high that day! Do you have any flexibility date-wise?

Thanks to all who replied...unfortunately at this point exercising any flexibility would result in other charges higher than the train tix :-(...do tix ever go on sale or come down or at this point should I purchase what I have reserved on hold to avoid any potential/probable increases? Also, I would guess seats ARE getting limited - 1st class fare was less than 2nd, and I was unable to get upstairs tix using captain train.

Thanks!

Risa

Thanks to all who replied...unfortunately at this point exercising any flexibility would result in other charges higher than the train tix :-(...do tix ever go on sale or come down or at this point should I purchase what I have reserved on hold to avoid any potential/probable increases? Also, I would guess seats ARE getting limited - 1st class fare was less than 2nd, and I was unable to get upstairs tix using captain train.

Thanks!

Risa

Glad you got your tickets squared away. Sorry you paid more than you would have liked. Hope you have an AMAZING trip!

I haven't done it yet, but plan to do London to Barcelona in October before my Transatlantic. I have found invaluable help from The Man In Seat 61. (www.seat61.com) He provides details on almost every aspect of the trip from London to Barcelona (as well as Paris to Barcelona). And info on trains all over Europe and the World.

I haven't done it yet, but plan to do London to Barcelona in October before my Transatlantic. I have found invaluable help from The Man In Seat 61. (www.seat61.com) He provides details on almost every aspect of the trip from London to Barcelona (as well as Paris to Barcelona). And info on trains all over Europe and the World.

Exactly what we plan to do this fall, thanks.:)

If one can get train ticket at lowest price when it comes out (was 59€) it'a a better option. Time wise little bit slower than flight (with time getting to/from airports and wait there) but more likely cheaper considering cost of going to and from airports. And definitely more relaxing. TGV trains are fantastic.

Is there one class of service?

keith

Glad you got your tickets squared away. Sorry you paid more than you would have liked. Hope you have an AMAZING trip!

Thanks so much!!!

WOW -I just went on Captain Train to check - The tix I got at 169 euros each two days ago, would be 263 euros each today!!!