Cruisetours for Alaska in 2006 ?

Chetsky

We are "Cruisetouring" Alaska in 2006. On the Sapphire and Diamond all of the Mini Suites are located on Dolphin or Emerald deck - are any of the balconies covered or are they all open above? The Mini's on the Island and Coral are on several decks - any suggestions for a good location on these ships? Also, is it beneficial to get a port side cabin for a south abound cruise? And finally, any ideas for the land tour locations Fairbanks - Denali - My. McKinley - Anchorage - is one better than other?

We are "Cruisetouring" Alaska in 2006. And finally, any ideas for the land tour locations Fairbanks - Denali - My. McKinley - Anchorage - is one better than other?

it depends on what, specifically, you want to see and do. We liked Fairbanks and I wanted to go there, but I probably wouldn't return there in the summer (I would like to go one winter).

Denali (Princess Lodge if you're going with Princess tour) is a must if you want to go into the national park and see any wild life, whether on a shuttle bus or on a guided bus (the bus is virtually the same, different colors - they are old school buses with no amenities on them) and while you are guaranteed a guide pointing out wildlife on the guided bus, I've heard most of the shuttle drivers do the same. You also get some food on the guided tour - believe me, the food is not worth the extra expense.

Mt.McKinley Lodge is physically closer to Mt. McKinley (Denali), but you "can't get there from here" unless you are flying. It is a beautiful property, but located a 45 minute bus ride from the train stop in Talkeetna.

OUr time here gave us relaxing room and time to take excursions.

Princess tours are a lot of money and you can go cheaper on your own. WE did a tour and I am glad, but I had researched the tour and the one we picked did everything we wanted to do, without any hassles.

So, you should make a list of everything you and your travelling companions want to see and do in Alaska. You might or might not choose a tour, but if you know ahead of time what you want to see you'll enjoy it more.

Next time we go, we will probably not take a formal tour, but will probably stay at Princess property on the Kenai Peninsula for a 5 days to a week.

Check out Alaska in Ports of Call - there is a lot of info there on interior Alaska as well as ship ports.

We are "Cruisetouring" Alaska in 2006. On the Sapphire and Diamond all of the Mini Suites are located on Dolphin or Emerald deck - are any of the balconies covered or are they all open above? The Mini's on the Island and Coral are on several decks - any suggestions for a good location on these ships? Also, is it beneficial to get a port side cabin for a south abound cruise? And finally, any ideas for the land tour locations Fairbanks - Denali - My. McKinley - Anchorage - is one better than other?

Hello,

DH and I just returned from a southbound cruise tour on the Coral. We were on the port side but I really don't think that it matters too much as the Captain will maneuver the ships so everyone can see the glaciers.

We were in D218 (covered balcony) - we tend not to get minis on 7 days so I can't help you with that.

As for the land portion, we did 1 day in Fairbanks (Bear Lodge), 1 at Denali Princess Wilderness Lodge and 2 at McKinley Princess Wilderness Lodge (where we were able to see Mt. McKinley).

The trains were wonderful and though it is exhausting, I loved every moment of it.

In hindsight I wish we had two days at Denali rather than McKinley - I loved them both, but Denali would have allowed us the Tundra Wilderness Tour. While I did enjoy the Natural History Tour - the foliage was incredible - I can only imagine how much more we would have seen.

Check out my pictures. And if you have any questions ask away.

To answer the covered balcony question I'd never get balcony below Baja deck on Alaska route.. those and decks above on Diamond/Sapphire are only ones completely covered.. IMHO only Dolphin is the worst.. you would get all the wind and wet if a drizzly day whereas with a covered balcony you may well still be able to enjoy it.

Definately do your homework it will be helpful if you get an Alaska map. Most Princess cruisetours only include the Natural History tour, a waste of time in my opinion. Only 16 miles into the park out of 90. The Tundra Wilderness tour only goes to mile 53, shuttles are superior, but why purchase a costly cruisetour and then take a shuttle??? For clairfication, they are NOT old school buses, very well maintained, neat and clean.

As for the McKinley Lodge, rarely is McKinley visable, my last 8-05 trip had 6 days between views. You are also 100 miles from the Denali Park entrance and 50 miles from the nearest town Talkeetna. I saw over and over people waiting in big lines there.

Be aware of distances and time in transit, if you go with a cruisetour- longer is definately better. Shorter tours spend most of the time in transit. As for Fairbanks, you see little of the city with a cruisetour, if starting there, it is beneficial to get there a couple days early, rent a car and enjoy the area. Most princess cruisetours, spend little time in Anchorage or skip it all together, again a very worthwhile city to explore.

If you care to, it is extremely simple to go on your own, only one road Anchroage/Denali Park, can easily see twice as much for half the price. Also the bonus with time of getting to Seward and or Homer. Fantastic areas.

To the above who missed getting into Denali Park, I hope you return, it is breathtaking scenery - here are a few photos if you care to look.

http://community.webshots.com/user/budgetqueen

Archived