Car seat onboard

Chelsie774

We are taking my 3 yr old on a two week holiday to Florida. First week we are hiring a car driving to see family and second week we are on the oasis of the seas. At the end of the cruise I plan to pick up a new car hire to drive back to family for 1 night then fly home. My question is, should I bring my own car seat or hire one?

If I did take my own does anyone know if I could give it to a luggage porter at the dock or will I have to carry it through the check in? Will I have somewhere to put it in the cabin? I don't plan to need it the whole cruise.

Thank you

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

We are taking my 3 yr old on a two week holiday to Florida. First week we are hiring a car driving to see family and second week we are on the oasis of the seas. At the end of the cruise I plan to pick up a new car hire to drive back to family for 1 night then fly home. My question is, should I bring my own car seat or hire one?

If I did take my own does anyone know if I could give it to a luggage porter at the dock or will I have to carry it through the check in? Will I have somewhere to put it in the cabin? I don't plan to need it the whole cruise.

Thank you

You can give it to the luggage porter with a luggage tag on it just like any other piece of luggage...however...I would have it in a travel bag (purchase one online or at your local baby store). Where you can store it in your cabin will depend on the category you have booked.

Edited by Ashland

You'll certainly have somewhere to put it in the cabin, because if all else fails you can keep it on a bed in daytime and put it on the floor at night. But some lines have storage spaces for extra-large suitcases, so maybe the car seat could go in there if Oasis of the Seas does that?

When you say "hiring a car" I assume you mean you are renting vs using a car service to drive you around.

Most (if not all) the rental car companies offer car seats with the rentals usually around $15USD / day

If you can - I would personally recommend that as then you don't have to deal with lugging it around (and perhaps paying a bag fee for it on the plane)

It can be checked with the porter at the dock and at the end of the cruise put out with the rest of your luggage to be collected ashore. A car seat bag would be helpful, but not required.

I've sailed with car seats on many different ships and many different kinds of cabins, including the smallest inside, and there was always room to put two car seats on the floor of the closet or in a far corner of the room where they would not be in the way.

Best,

Mia

Bring your own seat! We heard lots of horror stories about hiring them (no instructions for installing and dirty) that we decided to take ours. We had a week in Orlando in December followed by a week cruise and it was totally worth taking it. We didn't have any airline charges and also took our pushchair free. We stored the seat in our wardrobe but could have found a corner for it.

Thank you

Hi Chelsie! I'm a car seat technician here, and just wanted to toss out that it's always best to bring your own seat with you. Car seats that have been rented have an unknown history, the straps could have been compromised, it could have been involved in a collision, or could be expired. There are just too many unknowns to consider that a safe option.

Also, which country are you flying in from, if not the US? For a 3 year old I would highly recommend using the car seat on the plane if its approved for it. It makes flying with a preschooler so nice.

When you say "hiring a car" I assume you mean you are renting vs using a car service to drive you around.

Most (if not all) the rental car companies offer car seats with the rentals usually around $15USD / day

If you can - I would personally recommend that as then you don't have to deal with lugging it around (and perhaps paying a bag fee for it on the plane)

No airline I know of would charge a fee for a carseat to be checked.

Thank you I think I'll bring my own. I'm flying from the uk, I don't know if my airline will let me take a car seat on the plane, it's free to check in though. I can take a pushchair too but not sure if I will as she walks everywhere.

At three years of age you are buying him an airline ticket. Take your own car seat and use it on the plane. It is his norm and he will ride better as if he was in a car. Also if doing private tour on any island you will be able to provide for his safety.

I'd recommend not taking a car seat for the 3 year old on the plane. There's so little room between rows these days that their legs will be pushed up against the seat in front of them. They'll be much more comfortable without the car seat on the plane. Do bring your own as checked luggage though. I flew with car seats on many flights, never had a cover, but used a plastic bag, and never had any problems, except for the time at Heathrow where the car seat never showed up at baggage claim.

I agree with Boulders about the plane. I know from experience when my girls were two - with the car seat his legs will most likely be pushed up against the seat in front and you won't be able to use the tray table. No fun for kid or the person in front and once the seat is installed on board, you can't change your mind and remove it as they have nowhere to store it. Also, the seat can't block another passenger (including you) from getting to the aisle, so would have to be installed at the window, which means no choice of which of your seats to put him in.

I flew with car seats on many flights, never had a cover, but used a plastic bag, and never had any problems, except for the time at Heathrow where the car seat never showed up at baggage claim.

2nd to the safety of the child in the event of a runaway accident/collision or severe turbulence, this is the next top reason to use a car seat on the plane. At that point you are stuck in the airport with a missing or broken seat and either have to use a rental/loaner (which as kimlizzie pointed out above may not be a safe option and may not be available) or find a way to get to a store in an unfamiliar city to purchase a new one. Not a great way to start your vacation.

However, many UK airlines do not allow car seats (and are not required to unlike US airlines) so using one on the plane may not be an option for the OP.