21 Nights of Food and Fun (well, mostly Food) Pride Journey Cruises

meatloafsfan

Speaking of Canadian stuff - we also bring a stack of (clean, unused) Tim Horton paper coffee cups with us on trips. We're not a big fans of the small, ceramic coffee cups onboard - its takes 3 of those things to equal one morning coffee. My dad was walking around with one of them at some point and probably 3-4 people stopped and asked him if there was a Tim Horton's at the port and where was it because they wanted some good coffee!

LOL!:cool::D

Heather

Speaking of Canadian stuff - we also bring a stack of (clean, unused) Tim Horton paper coffee cups with us on trips. We're not a big fans of the small, ceramic coffee cups onboard - its takes 3 of those things to equal one morning coffee. My dad was walking around with one of them at some point and probably 3-4 people stopped and asked him if there was a Tim Horton's at the port and where was it because they wanted some good coffee!

haha ... we bring Tim Hortons cups too, there's alway someone that notices, and says "hey where did you find a Timmys" - or that they do miss their Tim's when on the ship - a great conversation starter...

(enjoying your review - theres alot of time put into writing one and transferring pictures, so just wanted to let you know, its appreciated ! :D )

Really really enjoying this review. The food pics are great :D. So glad Carnival has baked ziti - been wanting to try it for ages but not gotten around to it yet. One more for the bucket list :P.

Do you find that you often order more than one entree or do you find that a single serving is filling? Are you happy with the portion sizes?

Edited by snowbell55

Really really enjoying this review. The food pics are great :D. So glad Carnival has baked ziti - been wanting to try it for ages but not gotten around to it yet. One more for the bucket list :P.

Do you find that you often order more than one entree or do you find that a single serving is filling? Are you happy with the portion sizes?

We often ordered more than 1 appetizer or entrée; that was more due to wanting to try the variety not lack of quantity.

I found that if you order a soup or salad, an appetizer, an entrée and a dessert you're pretty stuffed with the current portions. If you don't see any soup/appetizers that interest you, you may want to order a second entrée and in the same respect if you're not too keen on the entrée choices, order an extra appetizer that looks interesting.

Some of the entrees are larger or more filling than others - pasta tends to be heavy and beef dishes tend to be filling (more chewing); fish entrees or seafood entrees tend to be lighter.

It also depends on if you eat all of your sides. A baked potato on the side is much more filling than a small ramekin of mac n cheese or a bit of orzo pasta.

The one consistency is a lack of vegetables. If you like vegetables, order extra. It's easy with the American table menus because additional sides are listed at the bottom of the menus.

We often ordered more than 1 appetizer or entrée; that was more due to wanting to try the variety not lack of quantity.

I found that if you order a soup or salad, an appetizer, an entrée and a dessert you're pretty stuffed with the current portions. If you don't see any soup/appetizers that interest you, you may want to order a second entrée and in the same respect if you're not too keen on the entrée choices, order an extra appetizer that looks interesting.

Some of the entrees are larger or more filling than others - pasta tends to be heavy and beef dishes tend to be filling (more chewing); fish entrees or seafood entrees tend to be lighter.

It also depends on if you eat all of your sides. A baked potato on the side is much more filling than a small ramekin of mac n cheese or a bit of orzo pasta.

The one consistency is a lack of vegetables. If you like vegetables, order extra. It's easy with the American table menus because additional sides are listed at the bottom of the menus.

This is extremely helpful - thank you very much :).

Dinner tonight was possibly my favourite menu.

For starters, both my parents went with the cannelloni.

DSC03211_zpsgnlgueua.jpg

And I once again went with the braised ox tongue (so good!) Sorry but the picture is too blurry to post.

For entrees, I again ordered the ribs as did my dad.

DSC03213_zpsixuaawwj.jpg

DSC03216_zpszixyso9h.jpg

He also ordered the grilled beef tenderloin from the "grill" part of the menu.

DSC03215_zpsbjchltvi.jpg

My mother ordered the port of call special which was a chicken with peppers, beans and rice.

DSC03217_zps39pdy1qy.jpg

It was our tablemates birthday and his daughter had sent a birthday cake so we were all given a big slice of chocolate birthday cake. Very rich!

DSC03218_zpshrqrrjwj.jpg

I also ordered the smores parfait because I really enjoyed it last time.

DSC03219_zpszdgr4h0s.jpg

My mother isn't a big fan of chocolate cake so she ordered the mango cream cake. Very good ratio of cake to icing and a light fruity flavour.

DSC03220_zpstygzzayl.jpg

And my dad ordered the peach pie.

DSC03221_zps8i1w30pb.jpg

Today was St Lucia which is one place we've never been. Again, we ported in a more industrial area.

We went to the buffet for breakfast and since we were heading off the ship immediately afterwards, we had the camera with us.

I had bacon, eggs, potatoes and fruit. Not a fan of the eggs, even after I drown them with ketchup.

DSC03232_zps6wycnwwn.jpg

My dad went with an omelet along with some breakfast meats.

DSC03233_zpsheyhbxlo.jpg

No picture of my mothers but I will tell you that she had poached eggs. My dad asked the omelet guy if it was possible for just poached eggs (my mother was tired of the eggs benedict and just wanted the eggs). It was no problem - he sent someone else into the back who came out a few minutes later with 2 perfectly poached, runny eggs.

Today was St Kitts and French day in the buffet (we ate once back on the ship).

I got a plate for my mother and I - the beef pasty was good, the fish was nice, the potato was good but a huge piece. All in all, enough to fill us up but nothing that I'd rush back for.

DSC03286_zpsgniptfol.jpg

And my dad has similar - though less variety plus a piece of pork from the carvery.

DSC03287_zpsb5tfxyyl.jpg

So glad I came across your review! Just love your detailed food review of both your cruises. Sometimes when I read the description I'm afraid to try it, thanks to you I know what some of these dishes are. Can't wait to see the rest, thanks again for taking the time to share you great pics and detailed descriptions!

So after the Captain's Celebration, we headed to the MDR.........and were once again given a pager. It was just after 8pm and there was still a back up on seating for ATD. We were seated around 8:30 at a large table for 10 with 2 other groups of 2 (I don't want to say couples because they weren't couples - both were sets of women friends).

The MDR was freezing (probably because there weren't many people in there) and dinner was very drawn out. We didn't leave until 10:30pm. And to top it off, dinner was only okay - the throwback menu is very similar to the formal night menu which we had not last night but the night before.

For starters both my mother and I had the cream of broccoli soup. It was good but tonight was only lukewarm. It was cold enough in the dining room that even being lukewarm, it felt like a warm respite.

DSC02793_zpsoqoi8mct.jpg

No shrimps on the throwback menu so no appetizer for my dad.

For entrée my mother tried the Baked Vegetable Princess. From the description it seemed like it would be similar to the Root Vegetable Pie on formal night (which my mother loved); it was a very different dish. The vegetables tasted nice but there wasn't any substance to the dish.

DSC02796_zpsqwehzchf.jpg

I had the lobster tail and shrimp. This was a better offering than on formal night - it was warm, and not complete mush. It is served with Mushroom Risotto (which is one of my all time favourite things) but this version was just a big lump of mush on the plate. Fortunately, when I had this again next cruise, the risotto was much better.

DSC02798_zpsoaeqr55e.jpg

DSC02797_zpslt7ak4xo.jpg

My dad ordered the spaghetti carbonara. He felt that the Tournedos of Beef were too "fussy and fancy" and didn't want a bunch of sauces and stuff.

This was good but I'm sure he would have preferred a plain steak but he never asked our server if that was possible.

DSC02799_zpsnf5y7n9q.jpg

Hello! We were one of the "non couple" friends lol Melody and sitting right next to you was my friend Tanya. What a great review and great cruise!!! I will always remember the freezing table:D

Hello! We were one of the "non couple" friends lol Melody and sitting right next to you was my friend Tanya. What a great review and great cruise!!! I will always remember the freezing table:D

Hi Melody! I remember both of you well - I ran into Tanya later in the cruise but I did not get a chance to talk to you again.

I have never experienced such a cold table and the rest of the cruises the temperature was great - it was just that one night at that one table!

So today my mom started getting sick. There was a cough/cold that went around the ship and she was the first of us to get it. I came down with it a couple days later and my dad on the last day. So food became a little less tasty (due to being stuffed up) and we all became a little more picky (because we weren't feeling well).

Dinner tonight wasn't my favourite menu - there's nothing wrong with the food, just not as much interesting to me choices. I still ate :p and ate enough, it just isn't a menu that I was like, "ooohhhh, I want that, and that, and that, and that....oh and that too!".

For starters, I had the spinach dip. My mom had it last cruise and it looked good so I decided to get it myself.

DSC03288_zpsbqlprbo1.jpg

My mother got the bib lettuce salad with blue cheese. And she got blue cheese dressing for it as well. There wasn't much to the salad but the dressing was full of cheese so she was happy.

DSC03289_zpsol7h9kwp.jpg

My dad had his 2 shrimp cocktails.

For entrees, both my dad and I had the tex mex pasta again. Tonight I found it just too heavy. I really should have known at this point that I was getting sick. I don't normally pick at stuff or get overly fussy but tonight, I'm not sure there was anything that would have wowed me due to the oncoming illness.

DSC03290_zps6ejgi2mm.jpg

Both of my parents went with the Beef brisket served over polenta. The polenta was soft and gooey and the beef was tender and tasty.

DSC03291_zpsegap0koz.jpg

For dessert my mom had the no sugar added cake. These were consistently good - flavourful, moist and a good ratio of cake to icing.

DSC03292_zpsvwtpnnia.jpg

My dad went off menu for dessert (I'm surprised it took him this long) and went back to what he asks for on most other cruise lines for dessert - ice cream with strawberries and whipped cream. Presentation was beautiful. He was a very happy camper.

DSC03294_zpsmebvdi8n.jpg

And the number 1 reason I should have known I was getting sick........

I ordered fruit for dessert. And just fruit.

DSC03293_zpsw8p8zqhs.jpg

The next day was St Maarten. We've been here multiple times and since we were the farther ship docked away, my mother and I decided not to leave the ship. My dad went off and did a bit of shopping. They had a tram thingy that you could get a ride to the port area for just a couple of bucks which my dad took advantage of.

DSC03310_zpsh2l8en8x.jpg

We had lunch in the buffet today, though I only have a picture of my dads (maybe my mother and I had burritos).

DSC03324_zpsatu9mbzr.jpg

DSC03325_zpsac4ssfki.jpg

Dinner was also in the buffet. My mom slept through the afternoon and evening (thanks to Sudafed) and so my dad and I hit up the buffet and then watched the dive in movie.

I had chicken fried steak, turkey, macaroni with added cheese and bacon bits, and chicken.

DSC03326_zpsgmyjkjls.jpg

My dad had turkey, macaroni, chicken and a baked potato.

DSC03327_zpsbzhpzvr1.jpg

Dessert tonight was soft serve ice cream. I had more of that on this trip than all of my other trips combined (I starting having the "ice cream" instead of the frozen yougurt - I liked it much more).