Bayonne/Port Liberty Departure on Anthem

rccomp

This is our first departure from NJ for a Cruise and on Anthem as well. While March will still be cold, is the ship open and cold as well.

We are really wondering how much cool/cold weather clothing with will need for the two bumper days while we are in the cold climate.

Does my question make any sense?

When in March? March is kind of a turnaround month for weather.

Won't be sunbathing but if you had a fleecy could go on balcony or walk on deck,probably need long pants unless really nice than you can brave it with jacket and shorts!

Edited by CanadaRob

I have sailed out of Bayonne numerous times (14). 2 of those times in March.

First was March 17th. We had one cool day, that was embarkation day. The next day at sea was lovely. So really no down time at all.

Second was March 21st and again the weather was pretty nice.

So if you are sailing the second half of March you should not have many cool/cold days. Of course the weather is so unpredictable that anything could happen. At most your first/last sea day might be cool.

This is our first departure from NJ for a Cruise and on Anthem as well. While March will still be cold, is the ship open and cold as well.

We are really wondering how much cool/cold weather clothing with will need for the two bumper days while we are in the cold climate.

Where are you coming from? What date do you sail? Are you coming to NJ the day before?

IMO you need gear that will enable you to go outside even if it is cold. That would probably include a winter jacket, heavier pants, a hat that covers your ears, some sort of gloves, and perhaps a scarf. There is nothing like being on an upper deck to go under the Verazanno Bridge, but you need to be dressed for it.

I don't remember inside being cold unless you are standing next to an outside door when it opens. Long pants and a long sleeved top should do it. Layers are always good. It's really going to depend on your overall level of cold tolerance.

March is always iffy...we sailed in March and it was cool most of the trip (even in FL). Plan on long pants and a fleece top for outside decks. In the ship itself, it is quite comfortable. Didn't make much use of the shorts I packed that trip. Pack a couple pairs of everything and you will be fine (shorts, long pants).

The Solarium is beautiful and you can be quite comfortable in there no matter what you wear.

We sailed in November. We did not need much cold weather clothing as most everything you do is indoors. The only cold transition areas are if you approach the indoor pool from the lobby area, you have to go past Johnny Rockets and the outdoor pool to get there, and going to the iFly booking office from the Seaplex, that is outdoors and windy. The Solarium is accessible from an indoor corridor so you don't have to go outside. Just bring a few cold weather items which you probably won't need unless you're going out on deck for an extended time when it's super cold out.

We've sailed from there before and are going out of there again in a couple of months. Last time we were there the port wasn't anything special. In fact, there were so many buildings being redone that it looked like bombs had gone off with all the busted up concrete.

We went in April last time and it was cold, but, as you suspect, inside the ship you don't know any difference.

The ride out to see is pretty spectacular outside. On the last cruise we did from there we went under the Verrazano bridge and we could see the NY skyline and Statue of Liberty off in the distance. There were lots of reasons for us to be outside so we were glad we brought along windbreakers and sweaters. I often wear a sweater inside the ship anyway since they typically keep it really cold and I like to be a little warmer.

I have a Columbia water tight hooded jacket that scrunches up to almost nothing in my pack so it's easy to bring along. I used it last time leaving San Francisco as well since going under the Golden Gate bridge is also a treat.

So, yeah, it will likely be cold, but in not time (well a day or two) you'll be in the sunny Caribbean. One of the best things about cruising from PL is that you get to experience (or can if you want) New York and the Caribbean all in the same trip.

Tom

When in March? March is kind of a turnaround month for weather.

Won't be sunbathing but if you had a fleecy could go on balcony or walk on deck,probably need long pants unless really nice than you can brave it with jacket and shorts!

I have never understood those wardrobe choices.

Do legs not feel the temperature as much as arms?!?!?!?

:D

Thanks for all the advice everyone!

We depart on the 19th so hopefully it will be starting to warm up by then. Here's looking forward to an early spring!

We live in South Jersey so we will be driving up that morning and since we have no real restriction on luggage I was not really worried about packing too much, but I still hate to over pack!

Leaving the port via ship is something that I would like to experience, so I will make sure I bring something warm for the family.

Guest maddycat

We cruise in April and October from Bayonne. We spend the first and last days of our cruises wearing long sleeve shirts and jeans. If we go outside we add a sweater or jacket.

March is so unpredictable. Have done several March sailings in widely varied weather. Last March 1st left on Quantum in blinding snowstorm. Think we got about 10". It snowed several addl days while we were gone. Returned after 12 day cruise to find temps nearing 60. Aboard ship we were outside in shorts by afternoon of day 2.

I've done early April before in Bayonne and it was cool and windy. It didn't get warmer until we were in Bermuda, it was hard to spend days out by the pool during sea days because it would get so windy. You're probably best off bringing labels, be prepared that half of the cruise might be cool but you'll have a good idea about the weather since you live in NJ. This weather has been crazy anyway, it's going to be 60 on Saturday!!

I sailed on Anthem early January and the first full sea day, the air temperature was in the 60s. I was in shorts all day. Returning to NJ, the last sea day, temperature was much lower and avoided the pool deck as much as possible.

The pool deck is open to the weather but you can access the indoor pool and the solarium pool by using the forward elevators, thereby avoiding the cold air surrounding the outdoor pool. If you use the rear elevators, you must walk outside to reach the indoor and solarium pools.

Mother nature is so hard to understand. You will never get direct answer form her. The way the weather is going is so hard to predict. Look what happening right now to NY and Nj area. The weekend that just passed was recorded as minus 1 degree f. This coming weekend we are hitting 55 degree f. Does this make sense? So when march comes I would keep an eye on the weather like seven days in advance till the time you travel. This way you are not worry right now. This way when you pack the right type of clothing will be right on top. Happy cruising.