HAL's Veendam - a great disappointment!

FlotationDevice

So sorry to hear about your problems on the Veendam. It does sound as if your TA did not prepare you for the size/age/accommodations on this size ship. I hope your next cruise will be more of your liking and one that meets your expectations. We have cruised HAL enough on the different ships to know what to expect and enjoy what they have to offer.

We did this trip two years ago from Boston to San Diego over a 21 day period in a Vista Suite. It has a higher/day cost because of the itinerary as happens on some trips and because there are fewer balconies on this class of ship.

There were a couple of plumbing issues (we experienced a brief one over the course of a 3 hour period as someone from a cabin several doors away from us, had put something into the toilet that shouldn't have been there). We have been on the Veendam over the years and still find the size a favorite one from us. We felt it was well cared for even though there was sign of gentle wear and tear in a few places. We don't go for "glitz" and like the understated ambiance of this sized ship (there are fewer and fewer).

Our Vista Suite had excellent hanging/storage, a good sized balcony with chairs and lounge, full-sized sofa and coffee table large enough for in-cabin dinners and a fridge which we appreciated since I bring Pepsi on board. We also had a tub which many ships don't offer today. We do have issues with the poor televisions fleet wide and hope they will change them all out soon. All in all, it was perfect for our needs and we most likely will sail her again.

We love love love the Veendam. She is old and small yet well maintained and the perfect ship to take us to our beloved Bermuda.

We cruised her a few years ago when she was getting so much bad press here. We loved that cruise so much we repeated it 3 months later.

I would sail her anywhere in a heartbeat. If only DH had more vacation time...

I'm sorry OP was so disappointed.

I've sailed Veendam 4 times. 2x OV, 1x Vista Suite, 1x Neptune. This is from June 2013 to June 2015. Yes she is old, and they messed up her rear badly, but we never saw problems that came even to the level of an annoyance.

First cruise was right after the failed inspection. They had brought Capt. Peter Bos to clean her up and that he did. Our last was after her fairly recent dry-dock. She had been nicely fluffed. No she's not perfect, but she and her crew don't deserve the bashing they have gotten.

Edited by shrimp56

but Webster defines "suite" as a group of rooms and we received a simple cabin with veranda. Horrendously overpriced, crowded, uncomfortable.

Well, if you're going to be technical, every cabin on a Holland America ship is a suite, because every single one of them includes an enclosed bathroom. A bathroom is no less a room simply because it doesn't contain a sofa!

That being said, I have never booked a cruise without knowing precisely where my cabin is, and what category I am booking in. It strikes me as odd to book a Vista Suite and to discover no earlier than embarkation the layout and configuration of the cabin.

Well, if you're going to be technical, every cabin on a Holland America ship is a suite, because every single one of them includes an enclosed bathroom. A bathroom is no less a room simply because it doesn't contain a sofa!
You've gotta admit the word "suite" is abused. The closest definition that fits today is a "set of matched furniture".

By telling the OP they were booked on Veendam?

/ducks

Can't think of any ship in the HAL fleet or other lines that does not have reports of occasional A/C and toilet problems. Passenger misuse is one of the causes and staff have been ready to respond as quickly as possible.

NB: For the comfort of other passengers do not flush things down the toilet that don't belong and do not leave your balcony doors open which causes ventilation problems for others on the same HACV circuit.

So you are correct, how could anyone know up front what other passengers may be doing that foul up these systems. HAL really does need to get this message across in far stronger language up front when passengers come onboard. We have heard some captains make these announcements during the life boat drill but most others avoid them and hope the inadequate signage is sufficient passenger notice to prevent both passenger-induced causation issues.

No one can assume it is faulty corporate maintenance up front when there are so many passenger variables thrown in too. We have had some of the issues and this is not to discount the nuisance value of them at all, but hope HAL does get more aggressive with embarking passengers up front about the shared obligations they now have to their fellow passengers.

Edited by OlsSalt

A few points that were apparently not adequately addressed in my original post.

TA (who has helped us for many years)

We asked our TA to book a suite, and did not read HAL's descriptive materials. Why would we, when our past cruises on HAL had been very satisfying? We speak English fairly well and know the definition of "suite", so we were confident that $1,000 per day was buying more than a Motel 6 room with a mini-bar. It was our mistake or HAL's, but not the TA's.

LIFEBOAT SIGN

Immediately outside the door to our cabin was a sign on the passageway wall pointing aft to our assigned lifeboat. We walked aft, went down to the lifeboats, then had to work our way through the crowds to get forward to our assigned boat. It would have been a far shorter walk had the arrow pointed to the left.

THERMOSTAT

The attached snapshot might help you understand how it works. In fact, turning it in either direction made no difference in the cabin temperature. We met new friends; every day another crew member tried to fix it.

WATER

At one point the water was turned OFF. I'm sure there was a valid technical reason, but we heard no announcement. Hours later it was turned ON. The water from the spigot was brown. Not tan, not unclear, but colored a distinct brown. I called *90 and was told to just let it run. An hour later: brown. I went to the service desk and met another traveler who brought a glass containing the brown water from his cabin. Such things happen, but in my cruising experience they are always accompanied by a rational explanation. I agree that after several hours the water seemed to clarify, but we decided to use bottled water for most purposes and were very uncomfortable showering even a day later.

TELEVISION

No one goes on a cruise to watch television entertainment, but the cruise lines use that means to provide news, promotions, safety information, maps, and progress. In our "suite" the television set was so small, and the resolution so poor, that it was impossible to read the fine print even when it was a safety or promotional message. That's silly - high def technology has been standardized and in many countries it is impossible to purchase that poor a display. And as an anecdote, the "system" was broken: the last few days it consistently showed a distance of 14,000 miles to our destination.

EXCURSION

I was not sufficiently descriptive of the excursion in Guatemala. Promoted as a 6.5 hour event, the only good thing about it was that it took 5.5 hours. After the first few miles of abject poverty and sugar cane fields, the inept tour guide ran out of things to say. At the town of Antigua, our destination, we spent an interesting half hour at the jade factory but the rest of our time there was utterly depressing and - in some directions - even threatening. The bus trip back was uneventful, and the guide repeated almost verbatim his descriptions from the outbound trip. HAL is experienced; how could they have wasted our day and money on such a grim and miserable event?

OTHER LINES

We like Oceania, and for future vacations will try to adjust our schedule to fit theirs. And for the record, we *had* planned a cruise on Prinsendam later this year -- that's out, obviously.

CONCLUSION

We spent about $14,000 for a good (not great) experience peppered by specific negative issues: inconvenience, discomfort, and frustration. Hereafter, ABC - anything but Carnival. Holland America and even the Carnival empire is now off our list despite the magnanimous offer of a $250 discount due to our unfortunate experience in January.

MITIGATION

Dining was excellent, the service staff did a superb job, and the ship remained upright for the entire fourteen days.

Thermostat.jpg.6de5f877f7b64bcf7b47ddd89036ed30.jpg

Oceania - $7649 - suite - 16 days - Florida to California. Go for it. Just be aware this is the 15 year old former 600 passenger Ocean Princess now renamed the Oceania Sirena and it has two classes of "suites" - one of which is still only one room with a very tiny balcony.

Edited by OlsSalt

TA (who has helped us for many years)

We asked our TA to book a suite, and did not read HAL's descriptive materials. Why would we, when our past cruises on HAL had been very satisfying? We speak English fairly well and know the definition of "suite", so we were confident that $1,000 per day was buying more than a Motel 6 room with a mini-bar. It was our mistake or HAL's, but not the TA's.

Was the $1,000 a day the cost of the cabin? I did not know that any cabin, short of the penthouse costs that much. As for the size, since you have sailed HAL before, presumably you have either seen some of the cabins or at least checked the website, which gives dimensions and 360 degree views. If you had checked HAL's website, you would have seen that the Vista suite was not two rooms (excepting the bath, of course.) I see no reason for castigating HAL because you did not do your homework on that issue. And perhaps you should consider changing TA's.

Can't think of any ship in the HAL fleet or other lines that does not have reports of occasional A/C and toilet problems. Passenger misuse is one of the causes and staff have been ready to respond as quickly as possible.

NB: For the comfort of other passengers do not flush things down the toilet that don't belong and do not leave your balcony doors open which causes ventilation problems for others on the same HACV circuit.

So you are correct, how could anyone know up front what other passengers may be doing that foul up these systems. HAL really does need to get this message across in far stronger language up front when passengers come onboard. We have heard some captains make these announcements during the life boat drill but most others avoid them and hope the inadequate signage is sufficient passenger notice to prevent both passenger-induced causation issues.

No one can assume it is faulty corporate maintenance up front when there are so many passenger variables thrown in too. We have had some of the issues and this is not to discount the nuisance value of them at all, but hope HAL does get more aggressive with embarking passengers up front about the shared obligations they now have to their fellow passengers.

You sure do make a lot of assumptions. How do you know it was what other passengers were doing that caused the mechanical problems? Yes I've heard that claim many times, and sometimes it may be true, but I've also been told directly by a plumber what the issues were with problems on another ship - nothing was passenger-related, it was all due to needing new parts and a failing vacuum system. I think I've read enough negative reports about the Veendam to ensure I never book that ship.

LIFEBOAT SIGN

Immediately outside the door to our cabin was a sign on the passageway wall pointing aft to our assigned lifeboat. We walked aft, went down to the lifeboats, then had to work our way through the crowds to get forward to our assigned boat. It would have been a far shorter walk had the arrow pointed to the left.

I'm trying to help you out here. That was cabin number and what was the Lifeboat number?

Let me know the numbers and I'll easily tell you what is the quickest and easiest distance to the boat.

WATER

At one point the water was turned OFF. I'm sure there was a valid technical reason, but we heard no announcement. Hours later it was turned ON. The water from the spigot was brown. Not tan, not unclear, but colored a distinct brown. I called *90 and was told to just let it run. An hour later: brown. I went to the service desk and met another traveler who brought a glass containing the brown water from his cabin. Such things happen, but in my cruising experience they are always accompanied by a rational explanation. I agree that after several hours the water seemed to clarify, but we decided to use bottled water for most purposes and were very uncomfortable showering even a day later.

Again, water system has to be shut down if necessary. It won't run 24/7 for 20 years.

EXCURSION

I was not sufficiently descriptive of the excursion in Guatemala. Promoted as a 6.5 hour event, the only good thing about it was that it took 5.5 hours. After the first few miles of abject poverty and sugar cane fields, the inept tour guide ran out of things to say. At the town of Antigua, our destination, we spent an interesting half hour at the jade factory but the rest of our time there was utterly depressing and - in some directions - even threatening. The bus trip back was uneventful, and the guide repeated almost verbatim his descriptions from the outbound trip. HAL is experienced; how could they have wasted our day and money on such a grim and miserable event?

The best islands in the Caribbean have two propellers! (I'm just joking)

MITIGATION

Dining was excellent, the service staff did a superb job, and the ship remained upright for the entire fourteen days.

Hmmmmm.... Dining, good service and the ship remained upright? Well, that would be a damn good cruise!!! :)

WATER

Again, water system has to be shut down if necessary. It won't run 24/7 for 20 years.

While it is necessary for the water to be shut down occasionally, it is customary to inform the affected passengers ahead of time. On our recent cruise on the Celebrity Constellation the water to the entire ship was shut off for 4 hours to replace a pipe. All throughout the day prior to the shut down, the cruise director and the Captain mentioned it in every announcement, it was in the daily bulletin and a note was left on our bed and a card next to the sink stating that water would be shut off between 1:00am and 5:00am and that we should run the faucet and the shower for at least 5 minutes until the water was clear the next morning before using it for any other purpose. No one was surprised that the water was off as we were all well prepared due to being proactively advised.

Edited by K&RCurt

I am sorry you didn't enjoy the Veendam, I have sailed her twice and have to say enjoyed her....maybe it is time for her to be dry docked so these issues can be addressed and she can once again be the beautiful ship we know she can be.....

While it is necessary for the water to be shut down occasionally, it is customary to inform the affected passengers ahead of time. On our recent cruise on the Celebrity Constellation the water to the entire ship was shut off for 4 hours to replace a pipe. All throughout the day prior to the shut down, the cruise director and the Captain mentioned it in every announcement, it was in the daily bulletin and a note was left on our bed and a card next to the sink stating that water would be shut off between 1:00am and 5:00am and that we should run the faucet and the shower for at least 5 minutes until the water was clear the next morning before using it for any other purpose. No one was surprised that the water was off as we were all well prepared due to being proactively advised.

This is the normal... when if possible! If it is broke, it is broke.

A few year ago on a another ship there was a 'flood'... just on one cabin. The Front Desk asked me if I would mind letting the wet occupants take my cabin instead. They got my cabin and it was definitely a better cabin for them. I agreed and I moved. Then I found I was now in a luxurious suite.... the real kind, you know.... with two rooms, two bathrooms, two toilets and two TV! I asked why did not they just put the people in the suite and I could have stayed where I was? The answer was easy.... "Those passengers were 'difficult' and demanding!" ;)

We have always been well-informed on HAL ships when there is a need to shut down a service function for maintenance or repairs and what to expect. Not sure what sort of "announcement" this Veendam passenger expected.

Should we assume the Veendam wanted to annoy and harass its passengers at every turn, so they just arbitrarily shut down this critical system with no warning or explanation? Still trying to figure our how one can get "soaked" from the upper deck. Splashed maybe when they hose an upper deck down, but soaked?

We have always been well-informed on HAL ships when there is a need to shut down a service function for maintenance or repairs and what to expect. Not sure what sort of "announcement" this Veendam passenger expected.

Should we assume the Veendam wanted to annoy and harass its passengers at every turn, so they just arbitrarily shut down this critical system with no warning or explanation? Still trying to figure our how one can get "soaked" from the upper deck. Splashed maybe when they hose an upper deck down, but soaked?

Yes, you can definitely get soaked! I can attest to that. I luckily did not get soaked, because I had moved just before the waterfall came down. THAT is why I called the front desk in a panic....I definitely thought there was a problem. I've no idea why anyone would need THAT much water to clean a veranda, with passengers on board, and below!

But I have no complaints. I LOVE Cruising. Just wish I could do more of it.

Yes, you can definitely get soaked! I can attest to that. I luckily did not get soaked, because I had moved just before the waterfall came down. THAT is why I called the front desk in a panic....I definitely thought there was a problem. I've no idea why anyone would need THAT much water to clean a veranda, with passengers on board, and below!

But I have no complaints. I LOVE Cruising. Just wish I could do more of it.

Thank for your report. There were some very serious problems on some ship(s) a while back when they installed some new pools in the aft deck according to one Hotel Manger we spoke with.

When the water splashed out when the ships tilted there was apparently no way they were not going to flood the cabins below. I suspect that is what was behind installing those silly aft splash pools in their place on some of the ships.

Don't hear those flooded stateroom reports any longer. The HM claimed this was pure engineering oversight and was still scratching its head, but he was also no friend of Seattle claiming a lot them had not even been on a HAL ship but were planning and making decisions in a void - he was old school HAL.

So yes, ship does happen from time to time. But never once felt staff on board was indifferent to passenger complaints. However, often there was nothing that could be done and cabin switches were offered whenever they can ....along with the future cruise credit compensation and ubiquitous chocolate strawberry plates.

OP - I don't know you and I take most posts at face value unless I have reason to believe otherwise. Some of your post could be questioned, but I am sorry you are encountering so much bullying and even a lack of professionalism from one poster who is held in high regard by HAL for his talents. It's quite sad to see this other side. It seems that sometimes this forum brings out the absolute worst in people who are usually otherwise polite and helpful.

If there is nothing to add by way of valid comment or help, why post nasty insults?