Upgrades strategy question for Navigator

Polina

We are looking at sailing on RCI for the first time (9 days Caribbean in March-April 2017). We would love a balcony cabin but it is substantially more expensive than an oceanview. If we book oceanview, what are the chances that we will be able to upgrade in the future at a reasonable cost (less than the price difference now, which is about $1000)? Or, is it more likely that the prices will go up even higher and we will be stuck with oceanview? I understand that there are no guarantees and everything can happen, but if you have any suggestions or experience with this I'd love to hear it.

Thanks!

We are looking at sailing on RCI for the first time (9 days Caribbean in March-April 2017). We would love a balcony cabin but it is substantially more expensive than an oceanview. If we book oceanview, what are the chances that we will be able to upgrade in the future at a reasonable cost (less than the price difference now, which is about $1000)? Or, is it more likely that the prices will go up even higher and we will be stuck with oceanview? I understand that there are no guarantees and everything can happen, but if you have any suggestions or experience with this I'd love to hear it.

Thanks!

Book the cabin you want now because upgrades are very rare

It doesn't sound like the OP is looking for a freebie. It sounds like they are wondering if there is a chance that prices will go lower in the future. That can happen, but cabin categories can also sell out.

SeaUs' advice is correct. Book a cabin that you know that you will like. Watch the prices and if you catch a price drop that will enable you to upgrade, then you will be even happier.

Thanks!

Your chances are very slim, because that is prime spring break season. Bookings are strong that time of year. NOT the time to expect a price drop.

Sorry. :(

I have very little cruising experience so here's my sad experience with pricing for the Anthem of the Seas for this April:

I had an interior cabin with VB for my family of 4 for $4438 for a 10 day cruise this April (including fees and taxes). (This was after watching the price carefully and catching a few price drops.)

In late Jan. (less than 90 days to the cruise date) I upgraded to a Balcony guarantee for $5129 (plus received $200 OBC).

Today the cost for 4 on a Balcony guarantee: $4210. (no OBC, of course).

Yes, today the Balcony guarantee costs less than what I booked my interior cabin w/ 4 people.

I don't know if this is b/c the Anthem had rough run or what, but I do know I feel kind of ill about this right now. As the price was dropping I was able to stomach it until the difference was more than $500. This cruise is a total luxury for us and feeling like I over paid by more than $700 ...it's hard for me to stay Zen.

Your mileage may vary. If there are a lot of balcony's left close to the cruise date (and they have a "Guarantee" category) I suspect you may be able to upgrade. (For a fee, of course. I will mention that if I hadn't upgraded in January and today the upgrade price was lower than what I'd paid, I would have offered $50 or $100 for the upgrade.)

Good luck. Amy

Edited by Amy5000

I am with everyone else, just book what you want in 2014 I called RCCL about 10 days before sailing on Navigator trying to upgrade to GS , they would let me but no discounts, other lines do upsells more often have had some nice upsells on HAL

Thanks!

Don't hold your breath, book the cabin you want....

Thanks!

I booked an inside cabin well over a year ago for an uncoming Navigator Cruise and during that time the prices steadily increased across all cabin catagories. Checked pricing regularly for everyone in my group and not one booking dropped in price all that time. Glad I booked when I did as in the end it saved me over $600 by booking over a year out.

Book what you'll be happiest now that works with works with your budget as no one on this forum can predict what will happen. The fact that you specifically mentioned " and we will be stuck with an ocean view " says you probably won't be happy if balcony prices don't drop.

Before the final payment date we often book a lower class or category of cabin to lock in that price plus OBC and to ensure we're onboard that cruise, then look for a lower than when booked deal on a higher, typically class, type cabin. We done this many times with our past cruise bookings. In fact once we started out in an obstructed OV, then upgraded after the final payment to a balcony and the week of the cruise upgraded to a full suite for only $80 more each.

Last month on Anthem we booked an inside Z guarantee for our Brilliance October TA at an excellent price with OBC plus we got extra OBC for doing this as an onboard booking. A week after that cruise the outside Y guarantee price came down so the difference was now $80 each and we were able to get $50 more OBC so we upgraded to that. Doing this didn't lose us our onboard booking OBC. Today the Z and Y guarantees are at a much higher price and there are still lots of balconies available but the lowest will cost us 60% more and we would lose $100 OBC because the above cost includes our C&A balcony discount so the net cost to go to an balcony is almost 80% higher. We'll definitely will wait on that one and might just end up in a balcony anyway as currently only one cat. F OV is showing available. We know of three others with Y guarantees and this has happen with our guarantees in the past where we've been assigned a higher class of cabin than our guarantee was in.

We're quite willing to stay with an OV for that cruise.

Are you happy to do that for the Navigator cruise is what you must ask yourself. ;)

Edited by robtulipe

In fact once we started out in an obstructed OV, then upgraded after the final payment to a balcony and the week of the cruise upgraded to a full suite for only $80 more each.

In fact the cruise booking we did the above on was a western Caribbean itinerary. :D

Before the final payment date we often book a lower class or category of cabin to lock in that price plus OBC and to ensure we're onboard that cruise, then look for a lower than when booked deal on a higher, typically class, type cabin. We done this many times with our past cruise bookings. In fact once we started out in an obstructed OV, then upgraded after the final payment to a balcony and the week of the cruise upgraded to a full suite for only $80 more each.

Last month on Anthem we booked an inside Z guarantee for our Brilliance October TA at an excellent price with OBC plus we got extra OBC for doing this as an onboard booking. A week after that cruise the outside Y guarantee price came down so the difference was now $80 each and we were able to get $50 more OBC so we upgraded to that. Doing this didn't lose us our onboard booking OBC. Today the Z and Y guarantees are at a much higher price and there are still lots of balconies available but the lowest will cost us 60% more and we would lose $100 OBC because the above cost includes our C&A balcony discount so the net cost to go to an balcony is almost 80% higher. We'll definitely will wait on that one and might just end up in a balcony anyway as currently only one cat. F OV is showing available. We know of three others with Y guarantees and this has happen with our guarantees in the past where we've been assigned a higher class of cabin than our guarantee was in.

We're quite willing to stay with an OV for that cruise.

Are you happy to do that for the Navigator cruise is what you must ask yourself. ;)

Good strategy. The only other thing I would add is if your plan is to pay to upgrade your cabin after final payment if prices come down, it's best to book directly with RCCL rather than going through a Travel Agent, since the Travel Agent probably won't want to/can't make changes. Two years ago on Navigator out of Galveston at the end of March we started with an interior, then went to a Balcony for no charge, and finally my In-Laws were able to upgrade from the balcony to a Grand Suite a week before the cruise for $100 more. We couldn't jump on it as well because we had the kids in the room with us and it would have been much more to upgrade. Then the kids ended up staying on the couch in the suite anyways :mad:.

I am also looking at the navigator for the same time. As the OP.

Is it unusual for the promenade cabins to be sold out over a year and advance?

Bill

Over a year out i would say yes it is unusual. Maybe some large group decided to stay in promenade cabins but even then there are three floors of them. :confused:

Good strategy. The only other thing I would add is if your plan is to pay to upgrade your cabin after final payment if prices come down, it's best to book directly with RCCL rather than going through a Travel Agent, since the Travel Agent probably won't want to/can't make changes. Two years ago on Navigator out of Galveston at the end of March we started with an interior, then went to a Balcony for no charge, and finally my In-Laws were able to upgrade from the balcony to a Grand Suite a week before the cruise for $100 more. We couldn't jump on it as well because we had the kids in the room with us and it would have been much more to upgrade. Then the kids ended up staying on the couch in the suite anyways :mad:.

Yes, this booking was initially done and I upgraded directly with RCI. I have just transferred it to a TA to get further OBC as you now only have 60 days after booking direct to do so. It was much better before when one could do so anytime before the final payment date. I don't expect the balcony cost will be coming down that much if any in the very near future as the Fall westbound TA cruises are more popular than the Spring eastbound ones. I lucked out with our OV cost reduction as it was due to a general across the board C&A flash sale (price reducing) offering so the original fare was unchanged but we got a further discount because of the above.

IMO it will likely be after the final payment date before any substantial price decrease happens with balcony cabins on this cruise. Hopefully we will have our cabin assignment by then so we'll know where we are. Because it is a TA with lots of seadays, 10, we aren't really concerned about not getting a balcony. :D

In the past we've been able to get paid for upgrades when our booking have been with a TA although I must agree it isn't a convenient as with a direct booking with the cruise line which typically has a 24 hour 7 days a week access to their vacation planning department. Also it is prudent to check if the TA charges for such changes.

The agent we use currently is very good and reacts quickly including getting back to us when I send her an email even on the weekend. :)

Edited by robtulipe

That's ridiculous. You're including all the great TA's with a very few that are lazy