Canadians disembarking ship and customs?

OntarioTraveller

we have either had to attend a 6am onboard customs meeting on the morning of disembarkation or followed the same routine as U.S. Citizens on some sailings. I can't put my finger on what the difference was for the different procedures.

While I'm American, my wife is Canadian, so I have to pay attention to the debarkation rules for non-Americans, and this can vary from port to port.

I can't remember what we had to do for debarking in San Juan, but as long as you pay attention to the documents that get delivered to your room and/or watch the debarkation information on the TV on the last day, they'll tell you what you need to do.

Our last two cruises were out of Miami (including one just a couple of weeks ago), and there was no difference between American and non-American there.

The only times I had to go somewhere on board the ship, (early in the morning) to do some customs formalities, was on my two cruises out of Tampa, and this was on debarkation day/morning, but both those cruises were back in 2000 and 2002. Not sure how it is today with Tampa debarkation for non US citizens.

Once on debarkation in Miami, I, the sole Canadian in my group had to go to a separate line through customs, and my American friends waited outside the terminal for me, and it took some time. My friends were about to send a search party for me. That was in 2007.

My mother and I, both Canadian debarked in 2009 in Miami, and I just dont remember whether we went to a different line or not.

Last October off the Victory in Miami, I went through the same line as everyone else, and saw no sign for non US residents.

That has been my experience.:)

Edited by SMSACE6

We sail out of Miami in just over a month. Guess we will just roll the dice and go with the flow and whatever process they have at that time when it is time to leave the ship. We will have our passports with us since we need them to clear customs in Ottawa before we fly to Miami, so that should help either way.

We sailed on the Disney Wonder out of San Pedro in 2011. At that time there was a separate line for "international customs" but no difference in disembarkation. Because there were so few international cruisers on that sailing, we were through customs long before our US friends. I'm hoping our upcoming cruise is the same way...an "international customs" line so we can get through customs quickly :)