Taking one year old on a cruise

Juju83

Hi everyone,

This April my husband and I are going on a cruise on pacific aria. The day we leave is actually our sons first birthday (and my husbands birthday ๐Ÿ˜Š๐Ÿ˜Š). I've cruises with older kids before but not a baby! Can we just have baby in bed with us? He hates his cot! And I have noticed people saying to take a small blow up pool for him to swim in?? Has anyone actually done this?? How do you fill it up and where do you empty it?? Any other tips for travelling with a baby?

Because it's my husbands birthday I wouldn't mind going to one of the speciality restaurants, are babies allowed there? Or would that not go down well with fellow cruisers??

Thanks in advance!!

Hi everyone,

This April my husband and I are going on a cruise on pacific aria. The day we leave is actually our sons first birthday (and my husbands birthday ). I've cruises with older kids before but not a baby! Can we just have baby in bed with us? He hates his cot! And I have noticed people saying to take a small blow up pool for him to swim in?? Has anyone actually done this?? How do you fill it up and where do you empty it?? Any other tips for travelling with a baby?

Because it's my husbands birthday I wouldn't mind going to one of the speciality restaurants, are babies allowed there? Or would that not go down well with fellow cruisers??

Thanks in advance!!

ย 

I cannot really answer any of those queries but I suggest a phone call to P&O directly and/or your Travel agent (if you have one) and get them to provide some answers. I do know there is a baby sitting service but am not sure what age of child they will mind. Having the baby in your bed may not be an issue except for yourselves and sleeping without crushing him. I do know that babies under one are not allowed on board, so luckily your timing is good with his birthday being embarkation day. I think you will like the Aria and I wish you a good cruise. cheers.

Hi everyone,

This April my husband and I are going on a cruise on pacific aria. The day we leave is actually our sons first birthday (and my husbands birthday ๐Ÿ˜Š๐Ÿ˜Š). I've cruises with older kids before but not a baby! Can we just have baby in bed with us? He hates his cot! And I have noticed people saying to take a small blow up pool for him to swim in?? Has anyone actually done this?? How do you fill it up and where do you empty it?? Any other tips for travelling with a baby?

Thanks in advance!!

ย 

You can have him in bed with you.

ย 

But you will still need to book a triple room I understand.

ย 

The blow up pools, it seems people just fill from the main pool. Emptying it seems the problem.

ย 

He'd be allowed in the restaurant, but will he behave or scream the place down?

Thankyou! Yeah to be honest I'm not sure that I would bother with the inflatable pool thing... I just really wonder if others do it and how!

Will he behave? I guess that's the big question isn't it... Haha, he's a baby so if I say no he is fantastic in a high chair he will prove me wrong!! I guess we will just play it by ear, and if he is doing well at meal times we might give it a try if he is allowed. I'm very aware of not disturbing other people who might be on a cruise to get a break from kids!!

I cannot really answer any of those queries but I suggest a phone call to P&O directly and/or your Travel agent (if you have one) and get them to provide some answers. I do know there is a baby sitting service but am not sure what age of child they will mind. Having the baby in your bed may not be an issue except for yourselves and sleeping without crushing him. I do know that babies under one are not allowed on board, so luckily your timing is good with his birthday being embarkation day. I think you will like the Aria and I wish you a good cruise. cheers.

ย 

Thankyou for replying :) he has slept in bed with me since 8 weeks so we are pretty used to that side of things. Don't think we would use a baby sitter - I'm sure the age is 3 or something anyway. Yes aria looks like a lovely ship, very excited!

Thankyou for replying :) he has slept in bed with me since 8 weeks so we are pretty used to that side of things. Don't think we would use a baby sitter - I'm sure the age is 3 or something anyway. Yes aria looks like a lovely ship, very excited!

ย 

What sort of room do you have? It may be helpful to have a balcony for fresh air and such. I would recommend calling P&O still and get them to clarify some of your queries, at least then you will know what their policy is on some of these matters.:D

He's one. He'll just get on fine with you as long as you are having fun too. If he is already eating what you eat then he'll enjoy the dining experience too. I think, for parents, cruising would be a great holiday although I would ensure that I took all of the over-the-counter medicines that is allowed (ie suggestions from your GP for the list). The onboard doctor will charge big time $ for looking at your child. Follow the usual hygene tips but I think I would avoid the pools etc.

What sort of room do you have? It may be helpful to have a balcony for fresh air and such. I would recommend calling P&O still and get them to clarify some of your queries, at least then you will know what their policy is on some of these matters.:D

ย 

Careful of the balcony. I know some parents with younger children have been uncomfortable with the idea of them either opening the balcony door, or climbing around the edges. Just another thing to keep an eye on.

There are no baby sitting services for children under 3 on P&O. Also no child with a swim nappy is permitted to go in the pools. I did a cruise with P&O when my daughter was under 3 and in a cot if you have any more questions.

ย 

Sent from my D5503 using Tapatalk

I cruised with my sister, her husband and their 12 month old., mainly as the 'nanny" so my sister could have a break. I could do the same for you if you oaid my way....lol

I shared a cabin with him with interconnecting cabin with his parents on solstice.

Great cabins. The price for him was same as me.

ย 

We ate at the buffet most evenings and staff were eager to help, even shooing us away when we tried to clean up the floor.

Lots of finger type food here.

ย 

Take packets of his favourite snacks onboard. Our toddler had little cereal packets from breakfast and pancakes.

Take some small ziplock bags.

Get a portacot anyway as if you need toilet or anything he will be safe.

Yes he slept with me when he woke at 4am until his parents got him about 6. Then i went back to sleep.

ย 

If there is a small table in cabin. Get them to move it if he is pulling himself up.

ย 

He will not be able to open balcony door but there should be a childproof lock.

He loved the safe which was in his reach, makes a noise each time you press a button.

ย 

We took him to a speciality restarant early and they made him mac and cheese specially.he was quiet but if yours fusses just take him outside for a minute.

Take lots of nappies etc. think about cleaning, storing bottles, cups etc.

We took a small cheap stroller and i would just walk the decks with him until he slept or went on ipad, read while he had his afternoon nap.

ย 

A tip i read was to put a whole days clothes into a ziplock bag. Not sure if that would work.

Think they have a laundry on board anyway.

They cannot go in any of the pools but solstice had a great water fountain area he loved

ย 

Be prepared for the staff to want to talk and play with him a lot.

ย 

There is also a family section on here, read through that.

I cruised with my sister, her husband and their 12 month old., mainly as the 'nanny" so my sister could have a break. I could do the same for you if you oaid my way....lol

I shared a cabin with him with interconnecting cabin with his parents on solstice.

Great cabins. The price for him was same as me.

ย 

We ate at the buffet most evenings and staff were eager to help, even shooing us away when we tried to clean up the floor.

Lots of finger type food here.

ย 

Take packets of his favourite snacks onboard. Our toddler had little cereal packets from breakfast and pancakes.

Take some small ziplock bags.

Get a portacot anyway as if you need toilet or anything he will be safe.

Yes he slept with me when he woke at 4am until his parents got him about 6. Then i went back to sleep.

ย 

If there is a small table in cabin. Get them to move it if he is pulling himself up.

ย 

He will not be able to open balcony door but there should be a childproof lock.

He loved the safe which was in his reach, makes a noise each time you press a button.

ย 

We took him to a speciality restarant early and they made him mac and cheese specially.he was quiet but if yours fusses just take him outside for a minute.

Take lots of nappies etc. think about cleaning, storing bottles, cups etc.

We took a small cheap stroller and i would just walk the decks with him until he slept or went on ipad, read while he had his afternoon nap.

ย 

A tip i read was to put a whole days clothes into a ziplock bag. Not sure if that would work.

Think they have a laundry on board anyway.

They cannot go in any of the pools but solstice had a great water fountain area he loved

ย 

Be prepared for the staff to want to talk and play with him a lot.

ย 

There is also a family section on here, read through that.

ย 

Wow thank you so much for such a thorough response! Haha I think if we were going to be paying for someone to come along as a nanny there would be a long line of volunteers!! Thanks again, very helpful :)

ย 

ย 

with little ones the buffet may be the better option, instant gratification is best with them. although i'm not a big buffet person, they have come a long way and the food is pretty darn good

Thankyou for all your responses. Although I will be closely supervising him, the balconies do make me nervous... He is a climber and he is FAST ๐Ÿ˜ฉ. My husband and I love eating in the main dining room, so I'm starting to make a point of putting him in his high chair for meals to try to get him used to it... But if he makes a fuss we will just stick to the pantry. I agree - the quality has improved a lot :)

P&O are providing the birthday boys with a complimentary birthday cake which was unexpected!

I know how much crew members tend to gravitate and love little ones, so I'm very excited to see how he goes with it!