Changing cruise with same ship?

JudyA01

Hello everyone,

I'm new here and just booked and paid TA the deposit early this month our first ever cruise with Ovation from Sydney to Singapore on 23 Jan 2017.

Now, DH and DD (9yo) wants to change it to NZ instead on 15 Dec to 30 Dec and I agree too that it would be best for us, but worries of losing the deposit.

Looking at RCI website, there's no penalty if we cancel before 25/08/2016.

We will go back to TA tomorrow to inform her of changing from Syd-SG to Syd-NZ-Syd, but would like to be prepared.

Any ideas?

Thanks in advance,

Judy

Sent from my iPhone using Forums mobile app

Welcome to CC.

Unfortunately, when you book with a TA you are at their mercy. They have total proprietory over your booking, unlike when you book direct with RCI.

However, in answer, you can change your booking within the no cancelation period without loss. Just depends on your TA whether they have a no refund policy or not.

Mine did change the booking but we had to pay a new deposit and then waited 8 weeks for the refund:mad: Never again.

Thank you Cassamanda.

So if you we could get our deposit back from TA, perhaps we should just cancel that trip and book it directly with RCI. But my fear is we might not get the cabin we want.

Arggg. [emoji30] I was adamant of booking it myself because it's our first ever cruise.

From the hindsight, I should have known about this forum before booking it.

Note that policies do vary by travel agent, and some officially will not refund the deposit, or part of it, from the time you book with them.

Of course, if that is the case given you want to change to another you can ask them to transfer it, with the intent you will book with someone else if they don't refund/transfer/credit the deposit. Some may still charge a fee for the change (as they do with any change) but at least that's better than losing the deposit.

Unfortunately we can't mention TAs so can't say the exact terms that apply.

As for booking with RCI, they have access to pretty much all the cabins that are currently available, i.e. travel agents usually don't have specific cabins reserved but unbooked that nobody else can access.

Thank you, The Big M.

Fingers crossed (and toes crossed [emoji4]) that our TA will allow us to change and credit the deposit back to the new one.

We had a cruise booked on Explorer 2.11.2016 for 4 cabins and decided to switch to the 11 night cruise on Voyager to Fiji on 8.11.2016 We contacted our TA who just switched our deposit to the new cruise no problem even got more onboard credit and we chose the cabins we wanted by checking another site where you could see what was available.

The same woukd apply to direct booking with RCI in that they may ask fir a new deposit but they credit your new reservation with the cancelled deposit within days.

Hi Hugh, no they aren't doing that anymore. It is getting more and more frustrating dealing with them. You now have to cancel the "original" booking and pay a "new" deposit and then await the return of your deposit from the cancelled booking.

We are now booking and paying the deposit and then I transfer the booking to our TA. Why do I then transfer the booking? Because I can't stand dealing with Royal over the phone anymore. If we decide to cancel, then Paul cancels and the deposit is repaid by Royal directly into our credit card - within about 48 (or so) hours.

Cheers

Di

Edited by Dizziedi

Hi Everyone,

Seems I have an awesome travel agent. [emoji4]

I had spoken to her today, and she seems fine with changing our cruise to the 15day Sydney-NZ-Sydney with Ovation.

The trouble is all the quad cabins for D1, D2 category, etc are all booked and there's waiting list. Not even an interconnecting cabins for 4 of us.

We considered booking a Family Suite but apparently also no longer available.

Hopefully she'll be able to book us when she calls RCI tomorrow.

Goodnight everyone.

Judy

Edited by JudyA01

Hi Everyone,

Seems I have an awesome travel agent. [emoji4]

I had spoken to her today, and she seems fine with changing our cruise to the 15day Sydney-NZ-Sydney with Ovation.

The trouble is all the quad cabins for D1, D2 category, etc are all booked and there's waiting list. Not even an interconnecting cabins for 4 of us.

We considered booking a Family Suite but apparently also no longer available.

Hopefully she'll be able to book us when she calls RCI tomorrow.

Goodnight everyone.

Judy

Great to hear about the agent. Not so great about availability.

While I'd expect there'll still be some changes/cancellations in the remaining time, it will likely be harder to get a quad share cabin at this point if they've already reached maximum capacity. When I've seen it happen before, it's rare for quads to come back - although not impossible. If you're willing to check every day, that would be your best chance to secure that, and then contact the TA when available. Otherwise, it may be best to think of contingencies e.g. getting two cabins as you mentioned (though that will increase the price quite a bit I expect). :(

Thanks for your advice, The Big M.

I haven't heard anything from my TA today. I've already emailed her with all of my preference.

If we cannot get a booking on Ovation for the Christmas Sailing, I told our other choice is to cruise on the Voyager for both the Christmas Sailing and New Year Sailing.

Wish me luck. [emoji846]

Judy

Thanks The Big M.

But I just found out a minute ago that my TA is resigning and this Friday is her last day. So, I'm cancelling our booking through her.

I just hope our deposit will be refunded.

[emoji22][emoji26][emoji25]

Reminder: TA contact info is not permitted.

From our guidelines:

There shall be no third-party recommendation (whether positive or negative in tone) of travel agencies on any forums within Cruise Critic. General discussions regarding the TYPE of AGENCY to be used to purchase a cruise will be allowed, as long as no recommendations for any source of purchase are posted.

Touting of your personal cruise agent or cruise line "personal cruise consultant" (or any other venue by which you purchase a cruise) is not allowed on our message boards. Postings that contain "tell them John sent you" will be removed without notice.

This means you should not ask about someone's travel agent, nor should you respond in kind. Offering to email someone your travel agent's name or info is also not allowed, nor is asking members to email you for the information.

It also means you cannot post links to travel agencies, no matter what the specific reason.