Day rooms in Tahiti

Acrusa

Does O offer a day room package from ship to hotel too airport day of disembarking in Tahiti?

Our TA booked a day room with Oceania for us on last day.It was $379 for room and transfer from ship to hotel and transfer to airport. I haven't seen this on their website, tho.

Our TA booked a day room with Oceania for us on last day.It was $379 for room and transfer from ship to hotel and transfer to airport. I haven't seen this on their website, tho.

Suggest you have a discussion with your TA or get another one for your next trip. That price is more than double what you could get yourself and simply take a taxi to the hotel and airport. Your TA should have done that him or herself as well. verything is fairly close together in Papeete, about 10 to 15 minutes port to hotel or airport.

Always extremely expensive to book thru the cruise line compared to directly with the hotel. Have seen prices at the Intercontinental in the $115 range for a day room and taxis would be less than $20 each.

If you have time suggest this to your TA or do it yourself.

Suggest you have a discussion with your TA or get another one for your next trip. That price is more than double what you could get yourself and simply take a taxi to the hotel and airport. Your TA should have done that him or herself as well. verything is fairly close together in Papeete, about 10 to 15 minutes port to hotel or airport.

Always extremely expensive to book thru the cruise line compared to directly with the hotel. Have seen prices at the Intercontinental in the $115 range for a day room and taxis would be less than $20 each.

If you have time suggest this to your TA or do it yourself.

If possible think about going in a few days early. A wonderful place to stay before your cruise. The Intercontinental is a beautiful hotel.

If possible think about going in a few days early. A wonderful place to stay before your cruise. The Intercontinental is a beautiful hotel.

Beautiful -yes. But, look to other venues for regular meals. The breakfast buffet is the worst I can remember in any upscale hotel and the prices are outrageous - $20+ for a hamburger and another $20+ for most cocktails. The only edible "bargain" at their main "café" is $5 local beer.

We actually stayed an extra day after our Oceania cruise primarily to eat at their world famous - Le Lotus restaurant, which turned out to be closed for renovation (without informing us beforehand despite reservations being made months in advance). They tried to make it up by treating us royally at the café. But, the food -even dinner - just was soooo blah!

If you belong to Intercontinental's basic loyalty program (no cost to join), a "day room" is just over $100 and airport taxis are under $25 each way.

BTW, Tahiti is a lush and lavish landscape (as long as you head away from somewhat industrial Papeete). However, as beautiful Pacific islands go, you'll get far more sights and experiences of cultural, historical and recreational significance pretty much anywhere in Hawaii (and at half the price).

Next adventure: a land trip to Kauai- now you're talking!

Here is a completely different point of view. We stayed three days at the Intercontinental after our Easter Island cruise last month. Our rental car was delivered as we were checking in and we drove all the roads on Tahiti, it seemed. We had booked independently and thought the included breakfast was quite good, with lots of variety. I enjoyed the fish and fruit and my husband could have his favorite hot breakfast items. We had the rest of our meals of property and found a great variety to enjoy, including one picnic we put together from the French grocery up island, though there is also one close to the airport.

We have lived and visited in Hawaii often in the past 40 years and found driving on Tahiti reminded us of the various Hawaiian islands before they were so developed with so much traffic.

Sent from my KFTT using Tapatalk

Here is a completely different point of view. We stayed three days at the Intercontinental after our Easter Island cruise last month. Our rental car was delivered as we were checking in and we drove all the roads on Tahiti, it seemed. We had booked independently and thought the included breakfast was quite good, with lots of variety. I enjoyed the fish and fruit and my husband could have his favorite hot breakfast items. We had the rest of our meals of property and found a great variety to enjoy, including one picnic we put together from the French grocery up island, though there is also one close to the airport.

We have lived and visited in Hawaii often in the past 40 years and found driving on Tahiti reminded us of the various Hawaiian islands before they were so developed with so much traffic.

Sent from my KFTT using Tapatalk

We agree with your point of view. Spent 2 days in Moorea, and 2 days in Papeete in over the water suites before our cruise and could not have had a better time. Food was fine, not great but better than just O.K. Both islands remind me of the Carib. 40 or 50 years ago. Mostly unspoiled. :):)

• 2 weeks later...

RJB, where did you stay in Moorea? We're leaning towards the Hilton, but would love any insights from those of you who have been to Moorea. We will only be staying in Moorea one night, arriving via ferry, if that makes any difference in your recommendations.

A day room is usually a standard hotel room. Don't expect a view but you will have access to the resort and a place to shower and rest in A/C. Be prepared for long lines at both check-in and check-out at the Intercontinental. And bring your wallet....crazy expensive food. Haven't had a day room at Manava Suites nor Le Meridien so can't comment on them.

Re Moorea hotels:

The Hilton Moorea is lovely as is the Sofitel! The Pearl nice. It's smaller and more compact but it's less expensive and there are dining venues/shops within walking distance. The Intercontinental on Moorea is like Hawaii....BIG. Don't care for it much and it is furthest from the ferry dock as well.

RJB, where did you stay in Moorea? We're leaning towards the Hilton, but would love any insights from those of you who have been to Moorea. We will only be staying in Moorea one night, arriving via ferry, if that makes any difference in your recommendations.

Back in 2014 we stayed 3 nights pre-cruise in Moorea at the Hilton in a OTW Bungalow. Loved every minute of it. Great service, friendly staff and a nice breakfast buffet. Excellent snorkeling by our bungalow. Magnificent sunrise and sunsets.

In regards to the day room, O will provide a "conference room" to hang out in for the 12 hours between disembarkation and leaving for the airport. Our was an open air pavilion, with a few trays of pastries and drinks that were gone if a few hours. It was hot, humid, and not the way I wanted to spend the last few hours of our otherwise wonderful cruise thru French Polynesia. I would either highly recommend a day room, if you wanted air conditioning or to sleep. Or, rent a car for the day and see the island.

As for Moorea, we loved it. We stayed in an OWB at the Hilton for 3 days prior to the cruise. Most of the island is impassable, with just a narrow strip of road around the perimeter. Therefore, all the hotels, restaurants, "towns" are like beads on a string along the road. It's an easy taxi ride to any of them. The ferry from Papetee is easy, and returns you just down the pier from where O docks.

FWIW, our driver on Fakarava (my favorite island), was totally dissing Tahiti as "over built, dirty, and full of disease." Coming from the very less populated outer islands, I can completely see where he was coming from. Moorea is much less built up.

Stayed at Intercontintal in both places. Still need to take a axi to any of the nice hotels. Have heard very good thing about Hilton also but did not see it. A wonderful place to stay. Have a great trip