formal dress cide for men

bandmp

Would dark slacks, shirt, tie ,and sports jacket be okay for formal nights on QM2? We will be doing a TA, and luggage weight is a big consideration. Mary

Why not pack a suit? It would weigh the same amount. I'm trying to remember if I've seen "separates" on formal nights, but in my memory, it's all suits and tuxes.

Each trip is different but during our recent round TA's I'd say for formal nights it was something in the way of 70% tux and 30% suits, either is fine, sport jackets and trousers are more informal attire. Hope it helps and as 3rdGenCunarder says, if weight is a problem packing a suit would be a good idea. You could wear a suit also on informal nights with no problems.

Edited by robbie_3

Would dark slacks, shirt, tie ,and sports jacket be okay for formal nights on QM2? We will be doing a TA, and luggage weight is a big consideration. Mary

If dining in the lido and limiting your after 6 pm ventures to the lido and one lounge is acceptable three out of the seven nights then yes what you are asking is ok. Otherwise the fellow will have to bring along at the very least a dark suit preferably dark blue or black or ideally a tuxedo. They are really quite light weight and can be packed with ease.

Cunard in their attire section does not leave anything to the imagination nor do their brochures. Follow them and you will have a much more enjoyable voyage.

To make additional room in ones suitcase, wear the blazer, a dress shirt and a tie when flying and embarking. Then you will have room for the tuxedo.

Edited by Lakesregion

To travel light and flexibly, I bring a black sport coat, black slacks, and white shirt. All can be mixed with other clothes while traveling about. With a tie, this ensemble works for formal nights on a QM2 crossing (or other Cunard).

Hi bandmp,

A transatlantic crossing on QM2 can be very formal, on an already "formal" line (as you no doubt observed on your QV cruise), in comparison to other lines.

A dark suit and a couple of shirts and ties is all that is needed to be suitable for each night on board QM2, to have the freedom of the ship every evening (not just the informal ones, as might be the case with some sports jackets); Royal Court Theatre, Illuminations, Commodore Club, Chart Room, Golden Lion, Sir Samuel's, Queens Room, G32 nightclub etc.

You do not mention the colour or pattern of the sport jacket (only that the slacks are dark). If it is patterned (check/plaid) and/or light-coloured, the wearer may feel conspicuous when surrounded by all those dinner suits and bow ties (I would estimate around 90% of men on my crossings have been dressed in a dinner suit (tux), the remainder in dark suits).

Please don't let airline luggage weight considerations ruin your enjoyment each evening of a superb ship on an amazing crossing. As others have said above, it is possible to choose/pack carefully and include a dark suit.

As an alternative suggestion, I've regularly taken an extra suitcase with me on flights following a TA on QM2; it costs me about £60 to do this, which is a very small % of the total holiday cost. Like the auto-tip, drinks on board and taxi fares in the ports, I see this cost as just another part of the holiday. I often leave it half empty when packing leaving home to allow for purchases on board or at my destination (before flying home). I'd never let the "one suitcase" rule ruin my time onboard Queen Mary 2!

Whatever you decide, have the most wonderful time, Bon Voyage :)

Edited by pepperrn

The outfit you describe seems to be suitable for "informal" nights, possibly without the tie. We have only taken one Cunard cruise and are about to take another so this opinion might not count. This was certainly the case on our QE cruise. Jackets always required.

On a recent crossing I assumed it was an informal night ( completely my fault ) and arrived for dinner in the apparel you describe.

I was quickly sent back to change, so the answer is likely no.

David.

For almost all of us on a TA, both weight and volume in luggage are issues. You are not unique wondering how you will manage these challenges.

When we first sailed on Cunard ships, DH had to bring a tux, PLUS a suit, PLUS a sports coat. Actually, the dress code was simplified a few years ago so packing "just" the tux and sports coat now seems very easy.

Men's shoes are heavy and bulky. My suggestion would be to be sure the same shoes can be used used with both the sports coat and the tux/dark suit. This will save some suitcase space.

There are washers/dryers on the QM2, which are free (along with free detergent). You can launder casual attire and, therefore, bring less of those items---freeing room in your suitcases for the formal items which are prescribed by the dress code.

The dress code, clearly stated by Cunard, requires both a sports coat for informal nights and a dark suit or tux for formal nights. A sports coat is not formal attire. There has been much discussion of the fact that a tux is less expensive to purchase than a suit.

Have a wonderful crossing! Enjoy the QM2 and Cunard experience!