Fjordland National Park

Hi all

Hi all

I did a search on this and found nothing helpful, so I am going to try here. We are trying to decide between an Emerald Princess cruise around NZ and and RCI Radiance around NZ. It is coming down to cruising Fjordland national Park or cruising Milford/Doubtful/Dusky Sounds. All happen in 1 day. We aren't sure if Fjorland includes the 3 sounds or if this is different.

Anyone have any experience with these and can help us out? We can't figure out if Fjordland encompasses the 3 sounds or if these are completely different.

Thanks for any help. I also posted on Princess boards, so no worries there.

ML

It is coming down to cruising Fjordland national Park or cruising Milford/Doubtful/Dusky Sounds. All happen in 1 day. We aren't sure if Fjorland includes the 3 sounds or if this is different.

ML - your post made me smile - they are one in the same areas - Fiordland (note the NZ spelling) is the area and the three sounds are part of the National Park

You can get more info on the area here

But your tour will be a "drive by" with no landings - there will be a local Pilot and possibly a National Park Ranger on board providing a commentary

Note it may well rain - it does so often - so what you see may vary from beautiful mountain vistas with snow capped peaks to cloudy and rainy with many many waterfalls fed by the rain - it's the luck of the draw

ML - your post made me smile - they are one in the same areas - Fiordland (note the NZ spelling) is the area and the three sounds are part of the National Park

You can get more info on the area here

But your tour will be a "drive by" with no landings - there will be a local Pilot and possibly a National Park Ranger on board providing a commentary

Note it may well rain - it does so often - so what you see may vary from beautiful mountain vistas with snow capped peaks to cloudy and rainy with many many waterfalls fed by the rain - it's the luck of the draw

Bodog

Wow, thank you so much for this! I apologise (note the spelling, hat tip to you Aussies) for my spelling! Big help for our planning!

ML

The absolute ideal for that area is a big rain storm the night before, and a bright sunny day when you go through.

The waterfalls are spectacular but the terrain is so steep they only last about a day and a half before all the water is gone.

There is a massive waterfall in Milford Sound near the township, and when you are going through Doubtful Sound keep a look out at the western side high up because if there has been rain you will see a magnificent waterfall high up in the mountains.

We did the trip late last November and were lucky enough to see the place in all its glory.

OMG--this is great!! Thank you all so much for your helpful photos and info. I can't wait to see it all for myself.

I personally think we should do Emerald Princess from Auckland to Sydney but everyone else thinks we should do RCI Radiance from Sydney around NZ. I don't think we can make a bad decision but one route has us in Sydney for a week and the other for 3 days. They think 1 week in Sydney is too long and flights are cheaper from US to Sydney than Auckland. I want to fly Air New Zealand to Auckland. Been tough on us.

Thanks again for all the info, so grateful that I have CC as a resource!

ML

PS: For bonus points, and a beer for anyone who cares to meet up with us in Sydney next February/March, what are your best to do's in Sydney?

The absolute ideal for that area is a big rain storm the night before, and a bright sunny day when you go through.

The waterfalls are spectacular but the terrain is so steep they only last about a day and a half before all the water is gone.

There is a massive waterfall in Milford Sound near the township, and when you are going through Doubtful Sound keep a look out at the western side high up because if there has been rain you will see a magnificent waterfall high up in the mountains.

We did the trip late last November and were lucky enough to see the place in all its glory.

Russell

Yes, this is what we have heard, and the pix confirm it. Thank you for the notes, we'll keep an eye out.

G'day

ML

PS: For bonus points, and a beer for anyone who cares to meet up with us in Sydney next February/March, what are your best to do's in Sydney?

Do you have status with RC or Princess? Sometimes it is best to get the perks on your cruise line of choice.

This is the standard advice we give to friends travelling to Sydney/Oz.

Blue Mountains - catch a train from Sydney to Katoomba station. There is a hop on hop off bus which costs $40 ($28USD) and your pass is good for three days, but you can see a lot in one day. Has 29 stops, great value. (There are lots of coach day tours from Sydney that cover a lot of territory. Some tours also stop at Featherdale Wildlife Park and the Olympic Complex at Homebush and range from $100-160 USD, depending on length.)

Kiama - catch a train from Sydney to Kiama station. Beaches, blowhole, lovely coast. Nice day trip.

Sydney Harbour - catch the ferry from Circular Quay to Manly. Cost is cheap, maybe $8? Great views of the Sydney Harbour Bridge and Opera House. On arrival at Manly follow the crowds down the Corso to the beach. Heaps of restaurants, cafes, pubs. Another nice ferry ride back to Circular Quay.

Sydney - The Rocks - historic area, lots of old buildings, nice old pubs, lots of opportunities for Bridge photos, restaurants and shopping. Get off train at Circular Quay, head on foot into the area where the bridge is.

Sydney Opera House and Botanic Gardens - get off train at Circular Quay and walk towards and around opera house, the gardens on the other side are the start of the Botanic Gardens. Food and drinks are available everywhere.

Other places of interest in this area - NSW Art Gallery, Museum, St Mary's Cathedral. All are located just after the gardens and are easily walkable.

Darling Harbour and Chinatown - located a short walk from Town Hall Station. Restaurants, bars, shopping, markets, aquarium, cruises. Lots to see and do.

Bondi Beach - bus 333 leaves from Museum Station, Sydney. Can also catch train from Martin Place to Bondi Junction, bus leaves from station to beach.

Cheers

Rosie

Just a quick off topic note--I am watching Ladies golf from Adelaide as I write these and the weather looks great!

ML - no problems - it's semi on topic in the Aust and NZ forum - and by our standards in this forum you're well within the on topic rules :D

Will respond in Sydney ideas later - but I think you need a week in Sydney and surrounding areas such as Canberra to do justice to the area so I'd say start from Sydney

Edited by Bodogbodog

Do you have status with RC or Princess? Sometimes it is best to get the perks on your cruise line of choice.

This is the standard advice we give to friends travelling to Sydney/Oz.

Blue Mountains - catch a train from Sydney to Katoomba station. There is a hop on hop off bus which costs $40 ($28USD) and your pass is good for three days, but you can see a lot in one day. Has 29 stops, great value. (There are lots of coach day tours from Sydney that cover a lot of territory. Some tours also stop at Featherdale Wildlife Park and the Olympic Complex at Homebush and range from $100-160 USD, depending on length.)

Kiama - catch a train from Sydney to Kiama station. Beaches, blowhole, lovely coast. Nice day trip.

Sydney Harbour - catch the ferry from Circular Quay to Manly. Cost is cheap, maybe $8? Great views of the Sydney Harbour Bridge and Opera House. On arrival at Manly follow the crowds down the Corso to the beach. Heaps of restaurants, cafes, pubs. Another nice ferry ride back to Circular Quay.

Sydney - The Rocks - historic area, lots of old buildings, nice old pubs, lots of opportunities for Bridge photos, restaurants and shopping. Get off train at Circular Quay, head on foot into the area where the bridge is.

Sydney Opera House and Botanic Gardens - get off train at Circular Quay and walk towards and around opera house, the gardens on the other side are the start of the Botanic Gardens. Food and drinks are available everywhere.

Other places of interest in this area - NSW Art Gallery, Museum, St Mary's Cathedral. All are located just after the gardens and are easily walkable.

Darling Harbour and Chinatown - located a short walk from Town Hall Station. Restaurants, bars, shopping, markets, aquarium, cruises. Lots to see and do.

Bondi Beach - bus 333 leaves from Museum Station, Sydney. Can also catch train from Martin Place to Bondi Junction, bus leaves from station to beach.

Cheers

Rosie

Rosie

We only have (minimal) status with HAL, no other lines, so that isn't a consideration. i wish it were--a nice problem to have :-)

Thank you for this list. I knew about a few of these things but you have added a lot of helpful info, especially about trains and buses. It sounds like we could use trains and buses to get around, no matter where in Sydney we stay. Can I impose on you (or others) for thoughts on areas in Sydney that would be nice to stay, maybe not too touristy? We would love to try a local neighborhood as our "home base". We haven't picked our cruises yet, but one option has us in Sydney for a week between cruises, the other 3 days. We are leaning toward the 3 day option, with days pre- and post-cruise for additional sightseeing.

Thanks for your help, keep those ideas coming!

ML

Edited by NoWhiners

Lol! We are watching it too, lovely day in Adelaide.

It was a pretty good tournament, although I was hoping Lydia Ko would win. But she's young and will win plenty of events during her career.

ML - no problems - it's semi on topic in the Aust and NZ forum - and by our standards in this forum you're well within the on topic rules :D

Will respond in Sydney ideas later - but I think you need a week in Sydney and surrounding areas such as Canberra to do justice to the area so I'd say start from Sydney

Bodog

Nice to have such latitude on topic drift :)

The week in Sydney comment is very interesting. As I said in my previous post, we are trying to decide between 2 cruise options, with 1 having a week between cruises and the other only 3 days. I know think that we are leaning toward the 3 day option, and will add more days before or after. But it is good to have some idea of how much time we should allow to see everything. My opinion is that since we travelling so far, we should stay as long as needed to see all we want. It is unlikely we would do it again, but maybe, so we need to cram a lot in!

Thanks--and looking forward to your Sydney ideas.

ML

Something else to consider: Some of the cruise lines offer a special shore excursion where you disembark the ship onto a small boat in Milford Sound & take an amazing overland journey into Fiordland National Park.

Here is the link to the one Royal offers.

You visit several towns in the park & take an evening steamship cruise across lake Wakatipu to Walter Peak High Country farm for a special dinner. Staying overnight in the famous Queesnstown, as well as visiting old gold mining towns, the famous suspension bridge where bungee jumping was born & the southernmost winery in the world.

You end up the next day in Dunedin where you board the ship again.

Depends on whether you want to see more of NZ's Fiordland NP land component, or see more Fjords. Having already seen all the Fjords I would say Milford is the most spectacular of the 3 for me.

Something else to consider: Some of the cruise lines offer a special shore excursion where you disembark the ship onto a small boat in Milford Sound & take an amazing overland journey into Fiordland National Park.

Here is the link to the one Royal offers.

You visit several towns in the park & take an evening steamship cruise across lake Wakatipu to Walter Peak High Country farm for a special dinner. Staying overnight in the famous Queesnstown, as well as visiting old gold mining towns, the famous suspension bridge where bungee jumping was born & the southernmost winery in the world.

You end up the next day in Dunedin where you board the ship again.

Depends on whether you want to see more of NZ's Fiordland NP land component, or see more Fjords. Having already seen all the Fjords I would say Milford is the most spectacular of the 3 for me.

avalon

Thanks for this info, I'll check and see if RCI offers this. Might be a good way to do a land trip without us having to make all the arrangements. I'm guessing this excursion is very affordable too :D

ML

avalon

Thanks for this info, I'll check and see if RCI offers this. Might be a good way to do a land trip without us having to make all the arrangements. I'm guessing this excursion is very affordable too :D

ML

The link is actually to the one RCI offers. :)

Affordable? Well I guess that's relative - I would say though it's more affordable than doing lots of separate land tours & in NZ the tours are generally more expensive than in the Pacific Islands or maybe similar places in the Caribbean.

Definitely more affordable in USD at the moment than AUD that's for sure!

[quote name=NoWhinersCan I impose on you (or others) for thoughts on areas in Sydney that would be nice to stay, maybe not too touristy? We would love to try a local neighborhood as our "home base".

ML[/quote]

Hm, I guess it depends on whether you want to stay in the CBD, or at a beach suburb. I would recommend staying in the city itself, as you don't want to spend your time travelling in. There are several areas in the city that are different, Darling Harbour and Chinatown, The Rocks, Circular Quay for example. Lots of options. Best course of action is to book early, Sydney accommodation prices only ever increase, especially for weekends, and many sell out.

And there are many more things to do in Sydney than I have listed. Taronga Zoo has a wonderful collection and the views back of the city are magnificent. Walking across the Harbour Bridge is great too. There is a great view from Sydney Tower.

cheers

Rosie

The link is actually to the one RCI offers. :)

Affordable? Well I guess that's relative - I would say though it's more affordable than doing lots of separate land tours & in NZ the tours are generally more expensive than in the Pacific Islands or maybe similar places in the Caribbean.

Definitely more affordable in USD at the moment than AUD that's for sure!

Oops, yes, I got my ships crossed so i thought RCI was the cruise around AUS :o. I checked it out and it does sound like fun. Sheep dog demo--hard to resist!!

Thx

ML

Edited by NoWhiners

Hm, I guess it depends on whether you want to stay in the CBD, or at a beach suburb. I would recommend staying in the city itself, as you don't want to spend your time travelling in. There are several areas in the city that are different, Darling Harbour and Chinatown, The Rocks, Circular Quay for example. Lots of options. Best course of action is to book early, Sydney accommodation prices only ever increase, especially for weekends, and many sell out.

And there are many more things to do in Sydney than I have listed. Taronga Zoo has a wonderful collection and the views back of the city are magnificent. Walking across the Harbour Bridge is great too. There is a great view from Sydney Tower.

cheers

Rosie

Thanks Rosie, good ideas. I am going to start looking for the highlights of Sydney and make a list. I agree staying in the city is best. Our friends may be able to get us into a timeshare for our stay, which would be great.

We booked our cabins today even though our friends haven't decided which cruises they want to take! But I found some great cabins--one aft balcony and one with a really oversized balcony--and wanted to grab them while I could.

Thank you again for all your help. I'll probably be asking more questions as we get closer--just a warning :)

ML

You could easily fill a week in Sydney. I would stay in the CBD but if you really want to stay somewhere else I would go for Manly. It is nice (despite their footy team) and easy to get to from the city. The city is pretty much a grid so very easy to navigate on foot and that is where a lot of attractions are so if it was me I would stay in town and cut out the travelling to and from the suburbs. If you don't mind heights a bridge climb would be a great experience. Sydney tower gives you a nice view of the harbour/city. A harbour cruise would be nice. You can do a big red bus tour to Bondi (iconic Sydney beach). Rugby Union kicks off in late February if you have an interest in the local football, you will be too early for League or AFL. Taronga Zoo is great. You could catch a train or bus to Canberra (Our Washington DC), probably worth overnighting if you do that, lots to see in Canberra too. You could fly in and out of Canberra for an extra $100 each way pp. Back to Sydney... Darling Harbour is lovely, particularly at night. Blue mountains are worth a visit. Enjoy your trip, whichever way you go. New Zealand is also beautiful, you cannot go wrong there.

You could easily fill a week in Sydney. I would stay in the CBD but if you really want to stay somewhere else I would go for Manly. It is nice (despite their footy team) and easy to get to from the city. The city is pretty much a grid so very easy to navigate on foot and that is where a lot of attractions are so if it was me I would stay in town and cut out the travelling to and from the suburbs. If you don't mind heights a bridge climb would be a great experience. Sydney tower gives you a nice view of the harbour/city. A harbour cruise would be nice. You can do a big red bus tour to Bondi (iconic Sydney beach). Rugby Union kicks off in late February if you have an interest in the local football, you will be too early for League or AFL. Taronga Zoo is great. You could catch a train or bus to Canberra (Our Washington DC), probably worth overnighting if you do that, lots to see in Canberra too. You could fly in and out of Canberra for an extra $100 each way pp. Back to Sydney... Darling Harbour is lovely, particularly at night. Blue mountains are worth a visit. Enjoy your trip, whichever way you go. New Zealand is also beautiful, you cannot go wrong there.

Suzbluz

This is a great idea. I think staying in Manly might be perfect. I am afraid of heights but the others might want to climb the bridge! I would love to see a rugby game in Sydney (I watched the rugby world cup last year. (Totally cool to see the All Blacks vs Australia! Very exciting.) If we stick with our current schedule, we'll be there from mid-March to mid-April--would league or AFL be on by then? Where would we get tix? I am thinking we're lucky to be flexible enough to spend as much time as we want in Sydney. Lots of suggestions for harbour cruise, so that's on the list. I have been reading about local beaches, bars and restaurants and looking forward to trying them all! And the zoo, botanical gardens and hopefully Blue Mountains. Canberra may have to be a stretch goal, but we might be able to make that happen.

So many great ideas from all of you. thank you so much.

ML

I'm sure you would enjoy Manly. On the beach and not far from the city, nice restaurants etc. Your timing is good for all codes of football. The super rugby is international so you could see Waratahs (Sydney team) v a NZ or South African or other teams. All Blacks v Aus was more exciting for some than others, my other half is a kiwi so he tends to enjoy those games more than I do, sigh. There will be plenty of League games on while you are here, AFL will be harder as there are only two Sydney based teams but you should be able to get to a game. Find a Ticketek outlet in Sydney (wont be hard) and buy your tickets when you get here. Some games you can buy the tickets at the game but you risk the odd sell out (unusual) but if you buy from ticketek and have your ticket before you go to the game you will be able to access public transport as it is included in your ticket price. The major grounds are all well serviced by public transport so you will have no trouble getting to them. I am biased about Canberra because I live there but you will have enough to do in Sydney to keep you busy for sure.

I'm sure you would enjoy Manly. On the beach and not far from the city, nice restaurants etc. Your timing is good for all codes of football. The super rugby is international so you could see Waratahs (Sydney team) v a NZ or South African or other teams. All Blacks v Aus was more exciting for some than others, my other half is a kiwi so he tends to enjoy those games more than I do, sigh. There will be plenty of League games on while you are here, AFL will be harder as there are only two Sydney based teams but you should be able to get to a game. Find a Ticketek outlet in Sydney (wont be hard) and buy your tickets when you get here. Some games you can buy the tickets at the game but you risk the odd sell out (unusual) but if you buy from ticketek and have your ticket before you go to the game you will be able to access public transport as it is included in your ticket price. The major grounds are all well serviced by public transport so you will have no trouble getting to them. I am biased about Canberra because I live there but you will have enough to do in Sydney to keep you busy for sure.

Even more excellent info, I am going to add seeing a game while we are there. (I thought world cup was exciting but I'm no expert!!). Great tip about public transport included.

Thank you

ML

Edited by NoWhiners