Booking accessible cabins challenge.

Over the last 2 years we twice cruised in a wheelchair accessible cabin because one of us developed severe mobility issues (partial paralysis) and uses now a wheelchair and requires a wheelchair accessible cabin.

The problem we are having is not with the accessible cabins (they are wonderful) but trying to book accessible cabins poses quite a challenge, especially for an inside and affordable wheelchair accessible cabin.

In most cases, even one year ahead or more, all inside accessible cabins are sold out and all that's available are cabins on the most expensive decks ( ocean view and/or balcony cabins ) that are wheelchair accessible .

Does anyone know how to secure an inside and affordable wheelchair accessible cabin without booking a year or so in advance?

Thank you for your suggestions.

Edited by oldguysandgalls

Unfortunately, there may not be another way to book the desired stateroom, other than very far in advance. One thing to note is that Royal is about to release brand new itineraries in the next few weeks, so this could likely be the best time to book.

Unfortunately, there may not be another way to book the desired stateroom, other than very far in advance. One thing to note is that Royal is about to release brand new itineraries in the next few weeks, so this could likely be the best time to book.

Thank you clarea, much appreciated. It may not be easy but where there's a will there's way. We are not giving up. ;)

Over the last 2 years we twice cruised in a wheelchair accessible cabin because one of us developed severe mobility issues (partial paralysis) and uses now a wheelchair and requires a wheelchair accessible cabin.

The problem we are having is not with the accessible cabins (they are wonderful) but trying to book accessible cabins poses quite a challenge, especially for an inside and affordable wheelchair accessible cabin.

In most cases, even one year ahead or more, all inside accessible cabins are sold out and all that's available are the most expensive decks ( ocean view and/or balcony cabins ) that are wheelchair accessible but too expensive for us.

Does anyone know how to secure an inside wheelchair accessible cabin without booking a year or so in advance?

Passengers requiring an accessible cabin for Alaska, Canada, Hawaii as well as Panama cruises tend to book the moment the cruise line opens the schedule on it' website for bookings. Ships with fewer accessible cabins to begin with also tend to book up as soon as the cruise is published. However generally speaking most people requiring an accessible cabin do book at least a year in advance . I being one of those individuals.

Suggestions :

• Call the cruise line and ask if you can be placed on waitlist in the event an accessible cabin becomes available for the cruise in question
  • Even if you're able to be placed on a waitlist check weekly if not daily to see if an accessible cabin becomes available as people do cancel. Especially check the day that the final payment period has hit as again people do cancel accessible cabins that they booked and held for a year plus. Important to note that once final payment period has past for cruises embarking from a USA Port the cruise lines are permitted by a US Dept of Transportation Law that went into effect on 1/1/2012 to open any unsold accessible cabin to the general public.
  • Be very flexible with your cruise plans. Rather than search for a specific cruise , itinerary and or ship, be open to searching for cruises that have available accessible cabins. Some cruise lines website such as Princess, Celebrity, and RCCL allow that to be done directly on line. Other cruises lines require that you call directly to find out this information.

Additionally it should be noted that if you do book a year plus in advance you can always check regularly for price reductions up until the final payment date.

Edited by xxoocruiser

Passengers requiring an accessible cabin for Alaska, Canada, Hawaii as well as Panama cruises tend to book the moment the cruise line opens the schedule on it' website for bookings. Ships with fewer accessible cabins to begin with also tend to book up as soon as the cruise is published. However generally speaking most people requiring an accessible cabin do book at least a year in advance . I being one of those individuals.

Suggestions :

• Call the cruise line and ask if you can be placed on waitlist in the event an accessible cabin becomes available for the cruise in question
  • Even if you're able to be placed on a waitlist check weekly if not daily to see if an accessible cabin becomes available as people do cancel. Especially check the day that the final payment period has hit as again people do cancel accessible cabins that they booked and held for a year plus. Important to note that once final payment period has past for cruises embarking from a USA Port the cruise lines are permitted by a US Dept of Transportation Law that went into effect on 1/1/2012 to open any unsold accessible cabin to the general public.
  • Be very flexible with your cruise plans. Rather than search for a specific cruise , itinerary and or ship, be open to searching for cruises that have available accessible cabins. Some cruise lines website such as Princess, Celebrity, and RCCL allow that to be done directly on line. Other cruises lines require that you call directly to find out this information.

Additionally it should be noted that if you do book a year plus in advance you can always check regularly for price reductions up until the final payment date.

Thank you xxoocruiser, for your valuable suggestions. We'll sure follow up with other cruise lines as well. Thank's again.

Edited by oldguysandgalls

You need to call in to book. We require an accessible cabin as well. In the past when we have called and there is not an accessible cabin in the category that you are looking for, they have to move you up to the next available accessible category at the same price as the category you were looking for. IE...we always sail in a ocean view balcony, and were upgraded at no additional cost to a JS that was available.

I know first hand how frustrating it can be to try to find accessible cabins, keep trying and be persistent!

Try to be a flexible as possible and keep looking. We booked our last October B2B Freedom cruises just after their final payment dates and because we needed three cabins for our group actually got one different inside, Cat L , accessible for each cruise that was unbooked. RCI release these to the general public to fill these cabins. It was the only possibility for us to get that third cabin we needed was to select these accessible cabins.

We've also have had accessible cabins assigned to us for guarantee booking at least 3 and likely more times.

Below is one of the accessible cabins we had on Freedom.

attachment.php?attachmentid=377516&d=1456080667

Below is the accessible we got for a mini-suite guarantee about 5 days prior to going on the Ruby Princess.

attachment.php?attachmentid=377517&d=1456080667

attachment.php?attachmentid=377518&d=1456080667

PA230457a.jpg.bf51f5f14116c02ebef3b94b69b684ed.jpg

P2110010.jpg.8344295bc158668f56e6fcfe83ccd40a.jpg

P2110011.jpg.ceafc104df9f44f55f3e0b6dc348006e.jpg

Edited by robtulipe

Does anyone know how to secure an inside and affordable wheelchair accessible cabin without booking a year or so in advance?

that's pretty much the only way.. book as soon as the itinerary/date is released.

each category only requires a small percentage to be set aside as HA.

Keep researching! We've seen a few accessible cabins on cabin crawls w/ no wheelchairs in sight. But the wheelchair confined could have been out exploring the ship.

you DO NOT NEED TO BE CONFINED TO A WC to be eligible for a HA stateroom. any legitimate disability qualifies.

last year I didn't get an accessible cabin but as a result I have realised I managed fine in a normal ocean view - we just folded up my wheelchair when in the cabin, I also requested a shower seat (you can request these). So now I know I can make do and leave those cabins for those who cannot walk unaided at all. The cabins are small enough that with help from my DH and my crutches I can get back and forward from bed to bathroom . So it may be worth people having a think about if they could manage the small distance (with help) so they can still find a cabin. Also even if cabins are free, may be if like me you may realise you can make do they can be left to people who struggle to stand at all even with help/crutches. I have rebooked a normal sea view for my next cruise- And told my DH to get prepared and get to the gym start his weight training exercises :D