Anyone on Riveria now? How are things?

RJB

What fogging? i never saw any of that. Where was it done?

The fogging was done in the hallways. Unfortunately, I walked straight into a hallway where fogging was being done on my way to the spa pool near the fitness center. I did a quick about face and covered my mouth any eyes.

Every crew member?

Does that include the Captain and other officers? :)

:D Perhaps that's why we never saw them. They were disguised in hazmat suits.

I don't suppose that Officers and Captains are considered the crew. That's why the saying is "Captain and crew" or "Officers and crew."

What fogging? i never saw any of that. Where was it done?

I first witnessed it late into the night when I heard what I thought was a vacuum going up and down the hallway. It was around 2:00 am and woke me. Got up to use the bathroom, peeked through the peephole, and saw a guy with mask and what looked like a lawn leaf blower. I really couldn't see much else.

Either the next morning or the day after, DH and I were leaving our stateroom when we walked right out into a cloud of fog. :eek: At first, thought it was smoke and something was on fire. We were right across from a couple of service entrances on deck 7. Two staterooms down, a man in a hazmat suite was holding this leaf blower thing and spraying a foggy solution. Looked like he had just walked out of the stateroom and was spraying the hallway. We ran to the elevators not sure of what we had breathed in.

Edited by Iamthesea

The fogging was done in the hallways. Unfortunately, I walked straight into a hallway where fogging was being done on my way to the spa pool near the fitness center. I did a quick about face and covered my mouth any eyes.

It is not pleasant and rather scary as you have no idea what chemicals you are being exposed to. We were forewarned on a previous cruise (not O).

It wasn't on a cruise ship but many years ago my sister and I were flying to Hawaii from L.A. Shortly before we arrived in Honolulu the cabin crew came through spraying all of us. There was no warning. (They were spraying into the air, not aiming at the passengers!)

I was freaked because I was severely allergic at the time to pyrethrins which are used in such sprays. The first time I had a very serious allergy attack (my throat swelled up) was after I'd come into contact with such a spray.

Fortunately nothing untoward happened but I never understood why they didn't inform us in advance of what they would be doing.

Mura

:D Perhaps that's why we never saw them. They were disguised in hazmat suits.

I don't suppose that Officers and Captains are considered the crew. That's why the saying is "Captain and crew" or "Officers and crew."

I first witnessed it late into the night when I heard what I thought was a vacuum going up and down the hallway. It was around 2:00 am and woke me. Got up to use the bathroom, peeked through the peephole, and saw a guy with mask and what looked like a lawn leaf blower. I really couldn't see much else.

Either the next morning or the day after, DH and I were leaving our stateroom when we walked right out into a cloud of fog. :eek: At first, thought it was smoke and something was on fire. We were right across from a couple of service entrances on deck 7. Two staterooms down, a man in a hazmat suite was holding this leaf blower thing and spraying a foggy solution. Looked like he had just walked out of the stateroom and was spraying the hallway. We ran to the elevators not sure of what we had breathed in.

Never saw it. At 2 AM i was sleeping and early in the morning I was sleeping also. Glad I never saw it. Would have creeped me out. Hope it worked.

We believe that communication should have come by way of stateroom letter, each day of the process, to inform us of the illness situation and explain what steps were being taken from clorox to fogging. The latter really was scary! :(

Lack of communication regarding the illness situation and the chemicals being used to combat it truly is one of my major complaints. Anyone with a respiratory issues certainly suffered, particularly in the latter stages of the cruise when things were so ramped up that I, who do not suffer from respiratory issues, had constant watering eyes, and DH, who does have allergy issues, had both watering eyes and a cough.

How could fogging and constant spraying continue without any disclosure of the chemicals to which we were subject? Upon questioning, we were told chlorine. Was that all??

Edited by CintiPam

Chlorine is a very caustic chemical and who is to say what strength it was mixed. If the ship did the delusion who did it, the Dr. ? Fogging might be a great way to treat the ship but IMO it should be done without passengers on the ship. Some might think it's OK to breath chlorine vapor however I do not.

Edited by hypercafe

Just returned from Riviera yesterday. I have so many stories there isn't enough time or space. But do want to pass on a few things that might be of interest. The product that was being used was OXIVIR as that is what was told to me. I have not had time to look up any info. Now we arrived in Miami 2 day prior to sailing we were at the Intercontinental Hotel and our room looked at the ship. There was little or no activities that were visual no movement on the outside. Once on board it was told to me that they used a product and could not be disturbed for 24 hours and then could start cleaning again. Now my husband happened to hang out in the smoking area where also 2 of the CDC people also were and were very close lip however once they said they were getting off in San Juan and the ship had no cases they would lift the band. As sailing from San Juan we started seeing the salt and pepper, the plastic came off the buffet area and we stopped seeing the product not being washed on the walls. As leaving I visited with an officer and was told that we had no confirmed cases. Hope the problem is solved because this has got to have hurt sales. There were many cabins that were empty. But I have no number exact. On floor 7 and part of 8 when luggage was being delivered you could look down the halls and saw very few pieces outside the cabins.

Edited by 515kitty

Awesome information regarding the Oxivir! I volunteer at a hospital, and we use this to wipe down our wheelchairs in between patients! Also have the solution for floors, beds, etc. Very low toxicity, low irritation, and highly effective. We have to let product sit for 3 minutes on surface in order to become effective.....ahhhh, I never thought of them using this! that is why they let it dry. Thanks for the info!

Awesome information regarding the Oxivir! I volunteer at a hospital, and we use this to wipe down our wheelchairs in between patients! Also have the solution for floors, beds, etc. Very low toxicity, low irritation, and highly effective. We have to let product sit for 3 minutes on surface in order to become effective.....ahhhh, I never thought of them using this! that is why they let it dry. Thanks for the info!

Wow, great info. never thought that this thread would keep going. Hope there is more good information for us to hear. Glad to know what was done and that it was working.