travel from JFK to Manhattan Cruise Terminal with grocery stop?

ennazus

I’m thinking about how we are going to get from JFK to Manhattan Cruise Terminal (711 12th Avenue). And include a stop at a grocery store to pick up a 12 pack of seltzer water. I’m wondering if taking a cab or car service would be better? Uber? I’ve never used Uber before, but I’m not opposed to trying it out. I do have a smartphone. Thanks!

From JFK, there's another option - assuming you can manage luggage & have time to spare on arrival - in getting to the MCT.

Take JFK AirTrain to Jamaica Station with all your luggages, paid the fares ($5 p/p per ride, I believe ... someone else can correct me) & exit the elevated stations to street level, head for the nearest local delis or CVS/Duane Reade/Walgreen's grocery section, and pickup your items. Meanwhile, have your spouse/partner/companion call Dial7 or Carmel to schedule a pickup in 15 minutes with your address/cross street & contact #, etc. by the time you get your doz. of seltzer water - your ride should be there.

Your fare will be flat rate with no stop, save you about $12 according to the surcharges quoted on Carmel (and, similar for Dial 7) - direct to the pier for checking in. Yellow taxis to all areas of Manhattan, including MCT is on a fixed & flat rate from JFK (not valid for LGA or EWR) - driver might opt to take an indirect route to make a stop for you to get your seltzer - it's usually metered as standing/idle time in traffic by the minutes (negotiate it ?? - offer $10 or $15 over the flat rate from JFK + tipping, who knows ;) )

If you arrive on an overnight redeye flight & landing JFK in the early morning hours, Woodheaven Blvd. is another alternate route to mid-Manhattan West via the tunnel (toll) with car pool/bus only dedicated lanes for the morning rush hours on weekdays - it will save you the trouble of dragging luggage & bags using the AirTrain, etc.

All these make those seltzer waters pretty expensive but, if it is a must - it is what it is.

Lastly, get to MCT first directly, drop off the bigger bags with the porter, find a place to sit & wait, pre-security ... then - one person can walk one-two avenues over to 11th or 10th Avenue to find a local grocery story/deli or other retail outlets in the area to pickup the seltzer - then, walk back to the pier and complete the check-in.

Take JFK AirTrain to Jamaica Station with all your luggages, paid the fares ($5 p/p per ride, I believe ... someone else can correct me) & exit the elevated stations to street level, head for the nearest local delis or CVS/Duane Reade/Walgreen's grocery section, and pickup your items.

First off it is Air Train is only $5 if you have a metrocard.

You must pay the $1 fee for a new metrocard put you can put multiple fares on a single metrocard. SO two people for Air Train is $11.

You can pay multiple initial fares with a metrocard but due note if you are going to use your Metrocard on subway or buses the card will only holds four transfers. On the fifth initial swipe, the previous four transfer information is overwritten.

So using the subway/bus you need a metrocard for every four people and dollar fee for each metorcard. Metrocards do expire, check the date on the back, lasts at least a year. A Station Agent at the "Token Booth" (haven't sold tokens in over a decade) can transfer from an expired card to new. Can even combine fares from multiple cards onto one.

There is a Duane Reade directly across the street from the main LIRR entrance for Jamaica (where you can buy tickets from a human or a Machine). WARNING you will be approached by numerous people asking "Taxi? Ya need a taxi?" as you cross the street.

Don't know much more about the area.

FWIW

First off it is Air Train is only $5 if you have a metrocard.

You must pay the $1 fee for a new metrocard put you can put multiple fares on a single metrocard. SO two people for Air Train is $11.

You can pay multiple initial fares with a metrocard but due note if you are going to use your Metrocard on subway or buses the card will only holds four transfers. On the fifth initial swipe, the previous four transfer information is overwritten.

So using the subway/bus you need a metrocard for every four people and dollar fee for each metorcard. Metrocards do expire, check the date on the back, lasts at least a year. A Station Agent at the "Token Booth" (haven't sold tokens in over a decade) can transfer from an expired card to new. Can even combine fares from multiple cards onto one.

There is a Duane Reade directly across the street from the main LIRR entrance for Jamaica (where you can buy tickets from a human or a Machine). WARNING you will be approached by numerous people asking "Taxi? Ya need a taxi?" as you cross the street.

Don't know much more about the area.

FWIW

IF you are using AirTrain with the subway- then that fare is going to be $7.75pp $5 is only for the JFK AirTrain.

• 1 month later...

Just a follow up note as we finished our cruise. We did not make a prior reservation, but rather called Dial7 once we had our luggage. The reservation taker asked what we were wearing for clothes and where we had picked up our luggage. The reservationist advised us of the car number. The car arrived within 5 minutes with the number of the car on a hand held sign. We stopped at a Duane Reade on the way to the port. The driver going to the port was an EXCELLENT driver. The driver going back to the airport was fine. On the way back to the airport we were picked up at Schwartz Luggage Storage and it took the car about 10 minutes to arrive (again no reservation). I would absolutely use Dial7 again.