Logistics of transatlantic to Barcelona

Heather1972

Hi all - I'm really interested in the 2017 transatlantic NCL Epic cruise to Barcelona from Port Canaveral. I don't even know where to begin in figuring out the best way to get there and how to return. I live near DC, so I have access to Dulles, Reagan National and BWI airports. I don't mind driving to Port Canaveral. I've never been to Europe, so I don't know the best i.e. cheapest way to get back. This would be around Easter 2017. Any suggestions?

Here's an excellent site for researching prices: https://matrix.itasoftware.com

In your searching, you'll probably find that most airlines don't sell cheap one-way flights. A search for your route for this April did turn up some airlines that do sell cheap one-way tickets:

-The cheapest is... Aeroflot, via Moscow: yeah, I'm pretty open-minded about my connections/routings, but even I wouldn't do this one...

-The next cheapest is... Turkish Airlines via Istanbul: I'm actually booked to fly nearly the same route in reverse, albeit in business class, this summer. The fun thing about this option is you can probably work in a 1-2 day stopover for at or nearly the same flight as the straight connection - again, something we did 2 summers ago, and was loads of fun!

-The other, only slightly more than TK option is... Aer Lingus, via Dublin: another fav with the TA crowd, and again, a stopover can be built into your itinerary.

Anther option is to use frequent-flyer miles for the trip. Now, before you go saying how you have none/not enough, there are 2 main ways of quickly acquiring the necessary miles: credit card bonuses, and outright purchasing them. The latter may seem nonsensical, but it can often work out to being cheaper than buying a 1-way ticket - and consider also that the miles difference between booking an economy ticket and a business ticket is much less than the purchase price difference, so you may be able to swing biz for only slightly more than economy. Now, obviously, you need to check availability is there before you commit to the purchase, but this is pretty easy to do.

I have access to Dulles, Reagan National and BWI airports. ...I've never been to Europe, so I don't know the best i.e. cheapest way to get back. This would be around Easter 2017. Any suggestions?

For starters, don't limit yourself only to Transatlantic flights that end in the Washington/Baltimore area. Consider connecting fights that will route you home via Atlanta, New York, Boston, Charlotte etc. It will give you more options. Also, don't limit your search to US-based carriers. There are many different European carriers that can get you back to the states from Barcelona, although again- many will include a connection, this time in Europe. Iceland Air, Air Berlin Aer Lingus and Turkish Airlines are names that are often tossed around when it comes to bargain fares, but don't discount others including Air France/KLM, Lufthansa, British Airways etc. You never know who might be offering a more competitive fare on any given day.

Try using cruise line airfare; often cruise lines offer deeply discounted one way airfare for transatlantic a because they know one way Europe airfare is outrageous. Other options would be Condor (used them and liked them) or Norwegian Air (no personal experience with them, but some most traveled cruise pax swear by them). Good luck!

Before you book, and you do have time be aware that not all airlines book in the same manner. You have been provided a list of options that offer reasonable one way fares.

Also be aware that there are higher taxes from some European airports.

NCL has a cruise air program that probably has less expensive one way fares but they could be consolidator fares which are even more restrictive than fares purchased from any airline.

Any ticket booked so far out, if you choose to do so, could also have time or equipment changes which may or may not be affected on your purchase plan (cruise air or directly.)

You should really plan on grabbing a convenient one way to Florida. You mentioned Port Canaveral so you would fly into Orlando. This is one ticket you should think about purchasing early since it will be spring break season with high fares to any city in Florida. And plan on flying down at least a day before your cruise.

Then use one of the airlines of your choice to return to the DC area. You will be too tired to drive back to DC from Florida after a cruise and TA unless you plan a little r & r before you head home.

Before you book anything and have options come back and let the true flight junkies, not me, give you the best advice.