Anthem Passenger Files Lawsuit

janetz

And I won't go into the other points, as this is just ridiculous. But, whatever floats this guys boat, and while the industry does tend to settle, if they demand a jury trial RCI will fight it with every nickle they have.

Well, Chief...reading the complaint and your comments was interesting and informative. I hadn't read the complaint until this morning, but I figured that Medical did pretty much what the complaint said. They assessed the situation on the phone and figured the passenger would be safer staying in his room than trying to make it all the way down to Medical while the ship was moving during the storm. Then they hadn't opened the doors yet the next morning when he arrived and that made him mad. (I do know from personal experience that calling will get you in even when they're not 'open.')

I did kind of assume from the initial new story that Mr. Simpson had been seen by Medical and I figured he might be one of the four minor injuries that have been reported. I figured he must have some documentation of his injuries. So now I think he was injured and that he was also upset by what he perceived as a lack of attention. (Perhaps the perceived INSULT was as bad as the INJURY. Or maybe worse.)

I am curious about the BMA report of their investigation (assisted by USCG and NTSB) and whether that report has been released yet. Do you know how long that kind of thing takes?

Judy

Well, Chief...reading the complaint and your comments was interesting and informative. I hadn't read the complaint until this morning, but I figured that Medical did pretty much what the complaint said. They assessed the situation on the phone and figured the passenger would be safer staying in his room than trying to make it all the way down to Medical while the ship was moving during the storm. Then they hadn't opened the doors yet the next morning when he arrived and that made him mad. (I do know from personal experience that calling will get you in even when they're not 'open.')

I did kind of assume from the initial new story that Mr. Simpson had been seen by Medical and I figured he might be one of the four minor injuries that have been reported. I figured he must have some documentation of his injuries. So now I think he was injured and that he was also upset by what he perceived as a lack of attention. (Perhaps the perceived INSULT was as bad as the INJURY. Or maybe worse.)

I am curious about the BMA report of their investigation (assisted by USCG and NTSB) and whether that report has been released yet. Do you know how long that kind of thing takes?

Judy

The investigation that the BMA is instituting will confine itself to the process, not really the actual incident. The incident was not serious enough to warrant an accident investigation. The BMA, along with the USCG Cruise Ship National Center of Expertise (their cruise industry think tank), will look at the ISM system as instituted by RCI, whether all parties either onboard or shoreside followed those procedures, and whether there is room for improvement in the passage planning decision making best practices. I would not suspect this report for several months.

Instead of just being happy to be alive, there always people out there looking for a hand out. IMPO

I hope for this man's sake he just lives in a padded house so he doesn't fly 18 feet or 15 feet, really!! I was on the freedom when we hit a storm, although it wasn't as intense as the Anthem, the Captain and crew told you to stay seated or in bed to minimize incidences like this. Get a life.

The investigation that the BMA is instituting will confine itself to the process, not really the actual incident. The incident was not serious enough to warrant an accident investigation. The BMA, along with the USCG Cruise Ship National Center of Expertise (their cruise industry think tank), will look at the ISM system as instituted by RCI, whether all parties either onboard or shoreside followed those procedures, and whether there is room for improvement in the passage planning decision making best practices. I would not expect this report for several months.

That's more or less what I thought. (The senator will be disappointed, though, as he was quoted to say "I want the National Transportation Safety Board to come up with a quick report.")

Judy

Read this as an antidote to that nausea-inducing article:

Mid-lakes Navigation captain recounts Royal Caribbean's Anthem of the Seas stormy cruise

This is a very fair account of what happened according to my experience. Yes, it was somewhat uncomfortable, but I certainly never felt we were in any danger. The captain and/or cruise director updated us frequently and always seemed pretty direct about what was happening and what their intentions were. All a matter of perspective, I suppose...