Southern Caribbean?

bcakes

Hi everyone,

It's been ages since I've been on these boards. I was here for all of your advice when I planned a DCL Alaska trip in 2014 and haven't really been back sense. For that reason, I'll quickly reintroduce myself before I get into my question. I'm a Boston-based mom of a 3 year old boy. Our family loves Disney, but DH is a bit afraid of boats, so cruising is a hard sell.

Since taking our Alaska cruise, my son has asked multiple times to go back on the "Mickey Boat" and I am personally sold. But DH will be a hard sell. I am looking at Caribbean itineraries and the Southern Caribbean route seemed like one I can possibly get DH to say yes to because we've never been to any of the island and because there's only one sea day. (DH is convinced that 95% of all cruise sailings sink, so being in sight of shore is a good selling point for him).

I came here to check out reviews and was surprised to see a lot of negative ones for this sailing. Since it's possible that the reviewers just weren't DCL fans, I thought I'd come here to ask if anyone has done the Southern Caribbean and how they enjoyed it.

Finally, I had a question on the cancellation policy. I see in the terms and conditions that I would forfeit part of my deposit if I cancel within a 90 day window. Does this mean there is no penalty for cancelling more than 90 days out. I'm thinking of booking at 2017 trip now because the rates are good, but I would need to know that I could cancel if I can't get DH on board for a cruise between now and next January. ;)

Yes, if you cancel before the 90 day point, you will get a full refund.

I don't know what negatives you are seeing, but my guess is that they are not accurate. There are a zillion posts about the "horrible" condition of the Magic and Wonder--this has not been our experience at all. Sure, I've had a few negatives on DCL, but overall our cruising experience with them has been very good. The bad part is in the bank account!

Thanks for your thoughts! When I filter the reviews to DCL Southern Caribbean, the first few reviews are entitled: "Disappointed," "Don't Waste Your Money," and "Not Magic At All." I was kind of surprised because we thought DCL to Alaska was the best cruise experience we've had so far. Service-wise, I thought it was on par with what we experienced in a suite on other lines.

But it's always possible that there's some issue with the Southern Caribbean itinerary in particular, which is why I am happy to get feedback from anyone here who has done this trip.

The only negative I can see is that DCL is terribly overpriced. We canceled an European cruise on the Magic this summer when I found that I could get a balcony on another line for half the price of an inside on DCL. We have cruised a total of 4 different lines.

Of the 4, DCL's food was below average (I feel quality has been dropping over the years), main stage entertainment was the best, kid programming was the best, service was very similar on all lines although the DCL servers were more personable. The ships are by far the most beautiful.

But for me...no little kids any more, same shows year after year...I'm willing to tolerate a "beige" ship interior and white hulk exterior in exchange for better food and a much better price. Yes, I know DCL has "free" soda. I can buy a lot of soda packages for the price difference!

You really aren't "in sight" of land unless you're coming into or leaving a port! You won't be straddling the shore! It's not like the Alaskan inside passage! But...don't tell your hubby that!

But if the boat can make it to the next stop overnight, then surely we can swim the same distance when the ship inevitably sinks . . . .

The nice thing about dealing with someone else's irrational fears is that my irrational logic seems to work well enough.

I was on the Wonder Southern Caribbean sailing a few weeks ago. It is a port intensive itinerary, but we loved it. Each island seemed to be more beautiful than the last. I'd move to Antigua if it was feasible.

I don't recall seeing any negative reviews so I can't comment on specifics. If you have questions I'm happy to try and answer.

The ship was in great shape. The service was fantastic and the weather was amazing.

The only "bad" thing was non Disney related. We took at (round trip) $70 cab ride to the Concorde exhibit on Barbados to find it closed due to lack of water.

We also learned that the Wonder interior will be renovated during a dry dock this fall, to what extent TBD. I would sail on her again in a minute, but my husband wants to experience the larger ships so we're sailing the Fantasy next February.

I have zero reservations recommending this itinerary to others.

Thanks so much Superdottie. The comments that gave me pause were ones saying that the ship was not in great shape and ones where people had service issues. The top selling points for DCL for me based upon my prior experience were exceptional service and beautifully maintained ship -- so issues in those areas would be concerns for me. It sounds like you had no ship or service issues.

I spent some time in the port forums yesterday and found out that there are monkeys on Barbados. My son absolutely adores monkeys, so I don't see how we can not go now. :D

I went ahead and booked by phone to get my Disney visa rewards. The CM who helped me was absolutely wonderful and my hubby is "thinking over" the idea. We don't sail until 4/30/17, so plenty of planning time. But if anyone has recommendations for port activities, I am anxious to hear them (and whether the DCL excursion is recommended for any port).

We visit San Juan (embarkation point), Barbados, St. Lucia, Antigua, St. Kitts and Martinique.