Upper Berth Experience?

marne001

Hi all,

Anyone sleep in one of the upper berths? What was your experience? Is there a light to read by up there? How about a little space to put eyeglasses, etc?

Any lessons learned from using the upper berth by an adult?

Thank you,

Marne

Twice on the Celebration, once each on the Dream & Triumph, but my last time was in 2010. At those times, the uppers were quite comfortable, but Carnival has since switched to harder beds. I don't remember any light, since I never looked for one. I didn't find any place to put anything. I like being able to see the time, so that when I'm barely awake, I can easily look and see if I need to get up. If I don't need to get up, I can easily go right back to sleep, but only if the time is easy to see. Since I couldn't see the clock we brought from the upper, I wrapped my wristwatch around the railing of the upper.

That ladder is a pain if you have to get up in the middle of the night, so I would try to not drink too much as bedtime approached. It can be slightly noisy when going up or down it as well, which could wake up roommates. Since 2010, we always have gotten a room that has a sofabed for the 3rd, even if it cost a little more. Sometimes, it doesn't (porthole rooms, or 1As with portholes).

Edited by k2excursion

I did on the Glory in 2010. It was my first and last time. The ladder was a pain and there isn't anywhere to put glassed or a phone. I can't remember if there is a light or not. Anyway, I ended up sharing a twin with my sister after the first night. We were 31 and 29 at the time. Lol

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-N910A using Tapatalk

When I slept on an upper for four nights, I was always coming in from an evening of dancing and was too tired to notice anything except a comfortable bed. But when my kids have slept on the uppers on several ships, they've had a small light. There wasn't really a secure place for glasses.

The uppers on Sunshine and Victory are comfortable and have a light. But be aware that the ladder on the Sunshine can be a pain to get down because it's slightly straighter then the sloping ladder on Victory or the Fantasy class. On the first night I missed the bottom step and fell backwards hitting my head on the table :rolleyes: . From that point on I either took the quick way by falling to the bed below or slowly stepping down the ladder while holding on to the railing.

Edited by ATL_Miami_Cruiser

I've slept in many uppers on Fantasy class ships and one Princess ship. Wont tell you my age but kids are graduating from college.

The uppers are attached to the wall and are fine on the Fantasy class. Regular mattresses. I place a six-pocket holder to use as my nightstand. Problem was headroom. I'm short so I didn't hit the ceiling. If you're over 5 ft you might have an issue.

My one experience on Princess was a disaster. Thin mattress that was ticked with plastic price tag holders. Ship was varnishing and the fumes congregated into the ceiling where the bed was stored. (It was a balcony cabin and we opened both the hall door and balcony door to clear it out :)) Thankfully it was a three day cruise. Brought a suction cup shelf to use as a nightstand.

Worst part about about the uppers are the ladders. Wooden ladders have wider rungs, metal ladders have narrow rungs and hurt. Most cabins I've had on the Fantasy class have been wooden.

One other thing. If you're on a Fantasy class OV or Spirit class OV or in an interior keep the lowers apart. One under the window (or far wall) and the others along the side walls. It will give you much more room in the cabin.

Store luggage under the bed.

Edited by SadieN

Hands down best sleep I've ever had on a cruise!! I went on a cruise about 5 years ago with my two teens and I volunteered to take the upper. I am plus size, 5'5, and was about 45 yrs old then. I had no issues whatsoever. I could sit up without hitting my head on the ceiling. I slept like a rock every night and even enjoyed a few afternoon naps.

The ladder does hurt your bare feet just a little but, hey, it's only a few steps...just move fast! :D

Not any storage. I used a little travel alarm clock...just sat it at the head of the bed in the corner, no problem. I did read a tip somewhere that you can put one of those command hooks (or two) on the wall right near the rail, and hang a little bag to keep eyeglasses, phone, etc...

Happy Cruising!!

When I was on the Fascination back in 2007, my cabinmate and I took turns sleeping in the upper berth. I didn't have any issues with it (though in fairness, these were college days so we were often closing down the bars before falling hard into that bed). I thought it was fine, perfectly comfortable. The only time I hit my head was actually on the lower berth (though that might have been the result of tequila).

Hi all,

Anyone sleep in one of the upper berths? What was your experience? Is there a light to read by up there? How about a little space to put eyeglasses, etc?

Any lessons learned from using the upper berth by an adult?

Thank you,

Marne

You mean the bed that pulls down from the ceiling?

I..wouldn't recommend it.

We had one during our January cruise and my son (who was supposed to sleep up there) was too freaked to sleep on it. He has issues with heights and he was nervous about climbing the ladder (balance issues also). So I slept on it and honestly, I don't think I've ever had a worse night's sleep than I did on that bed. The mattress was very thin and I could definately feel the hard metal underneath. I woke up every morning with my hips and back absolutely killing me to the point I would have to soak in the hot tub after breakfast in order to just be able to FUNCTION for the rest of the day.

Uh uh. If I'm told we're going to have another room with one of those pull down bunks..I'm going to tell DH that we need to get another room. Because while I don't mind sleeping on the trundle or the fold out couch that some rooms have, I FLAT OUT REFUSE to sleep on another one of those bunk bed things.

Nope nope nope. Ten out of ten WOULD NOT recommend.