Internet Access for Flight Check In

violetsmile

Yes, you do, you have to stand in line and check your bags in. We fly out of Sacto, there's no curb side check in when we arrive. We stood in line even with paying the early check in. I don't see the advantage. At LAX at least they have curb side check in with baggage. We're good to go without the added costs for nothing.

If you have checked bags, don't you have to do this no matter what? How does having EB or checking in online make a difference. Someone still has to print and tag your checked bag. EB just predetermined your spot in line.

Thanks for the feedback, everyone. I went ahead and purchased EB for both of us. I realized that, other than the whole cheating thing, we still wouldn't have a way to check the other one of us in...meaning one of us would potentially be trying to save a seat and the other is boarding position B50...that would be obnoxious. For $25, the peace of mind of being checked in, no hassle, nothing to worry about on our last night is completely worth it to me.

So does the early bird position transfer when they have to cancel you flight due to weather? We flew SW in November, I checked us in 24 hours early (no EB) and got "A" group seating for both legs of our flight. They cancelled our flight 4 hours before we flew out. We ended up in C group for both on our new flights.

I'm going to be checking in in about 30 minutes and print our boarding passes. I'll come back and let you all know what our position is. Since it's a weekday, I suspect we'll be in the "B" group.

So does the early bird position transfer when they have to cancel you flight due to weather? We flew SW in November, I checked us in 24 hours early (no EB) and got "A" group seating for both legs of our flight. They cancelled our flight 4 hours before we flew out. We ended up in C group for both on our new flights.

Southwest's out is there's no guarantee that you will get into the "A" group. I see no reason to pay the $12.50 and get stuck in the "C" group. No big deal to check in early, what's the advantage?

I'm going to be checking in in about 30 minutes and print our boarding passes. I'll come back and let you all know what our position is. Since it's a weekday, I suspect we'll be in the "B" group.

Southwest's out is there's no guarantee that you will get into the "A" group. I see no reason to pay the $12.50 and get stuck in the "C" group. No big deal to check in early, what's the advantage?

This is true. I always get Early Bird check-in and love it, however when you change a flight last minute (within 36 hours) or it gets canceled, on your new flight there's a good chance you'll be placed in the C group. This happened to me when I changed flights 5 hours before my original departure. The reason this happens is because Southwest automatically checks in all Early Birds 36 hours in advance, then the normal manual check-ins occur within 24 hours of the flight. That leaves only the C group left or if you're lucky the B group. It sucks and Southwest will not refund your money because their terms basically state you're not guaranteed anything and they are allowed to screw you at anytime.

Edited by ATL_Miami_Cruiser

Another thing to think about, though it probably doesn't happen much in FLL because of the location and routes, is that if you are going to be on a through flight that originated somewhere else and whatever airport you board is an intermediate stop on the flight, you may have A16 and get stuck with a middle seat. I saw a BWI-STL-LAS flight one time where over a hundred people were not getting off in STL. If you had A30, you wear probably getting a middle seat!