Jewel Alaska

Fyruf

Going in May first cruise out with middle son and wife. Been there seven times and looking forward to get there again. Never been on Jewel hope it is as good as Pearl and Escape.

Sent from my iPad using Forums mobile app

Jewel is essentially the Pearl with no rock climbing wall, bowling alley or bliss lounge. If you won't miss those then you should love the Jewel. We will be on her for the fourth time in a row in 4 years all to Alaska. If you don't have a forward penthouse then I suggest checking out the bow of the ship while going through Tracy Arm. Great views from there. They open it up for the passengers for Tracy Arm. I think you can access it from deck 7 or 8 all the way forward.

You will love the Jewel and Alaska. It is the same as the Pearl. Definitely not the Escape.

We were on the Jewel to Alsaka last June. Spent every evening watching the waters for whales and dolphins. Agree that sowing the Bow for a [short] while during your glacier visit is an experience.

We will be in a Jewel deck 9 forward Penthouse the first part of June. Although some believe this is an inside passage cruise it is in fact not. It will cruise on the west side (ocean) of Vancouver Island, British Columbia Canada. It also cruises "by" and not into Sawyer Glacier...but the Captain will get as close as possible to the entrance of the glacier.

Going in May first cruise out with middle son and wife. Been there seven times and looking forward to get there again. Never been on Jewel hope it is as good as Pearl and Escape.

Aloha,

I did the Jewel for Mexico this January and the Pearl last year for Alaska. Both are great ships perfect for Alaska cruising! However, I did prefer the Pearl a little more due to it having more "modern" or upgraded features. As kdzkatz mentioned, those are the main changes from the two (the bowling alley was fun to use on the Pearl). The only other main difference for me, and one of the only disappointments I've ever had using NCL, was the size of the thermal spa/suite on the Jewel. It's very small compared to its counterparts (though it was my fault for not looking at the pictures and reviews more closely). The "community pool" is a virtually a glorified Jacuzzi that can fit only 4-6 comfortably. Other than that, we had a blast on the Jewel and the staff was great :) If you don't do the spa or bowling, you won't notice much of a difference. You'll have a great time on board.

We will be in a Jewel deck 9 forward Penthouse the first part of June. Although some believe this is an inside passage cruise it is in fact not. It will cruise on the west side (ocean) of Vancouver Island, British Columbia Canada. It also cruises "by" and not into Sawyer Glacier...but the Captain will get as close as possible to the entrance of the glacier.

We did a Deck 9 forward facing penthouse last June. Yup, not an inside passage so there is a little less sea life. The deck 9 balconies are huge. Ours was about 300 sq feet. We had out butler bring some deck chairs and deck blankets. We sat outside every night watching the whales. We went up to the havens glacier watching reception. Decided that our view was a lot better. Grabbed some hot wine and headed back down to our room.

• 1 month later...

Batannah The whale watching in Juneau is must you will see whales,We liked White Pass RR set on the left side,Skagway any tour should be fine but stop at res. Just before ship to grab something to eat. We're on same cruise can't wait.